How many extra tubes do you take to a gig?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never bring extra tubes with me. :? The only spare ones I have currently are used/bad and in a 5150 I'm trying to repair.

I havent had any major problems yet, live. *knock on wood*

and, no backup amp currently.

if something would happen...id either be screwed or have to borrow someones amp.

I don't take any tubes with me! No risk no fun :D

But the Rectifier is quite new! So I'll buy one new set! That should be enough :wink:

bryan_kilco said:
I never bring extra tubes with me. :? The only spare ones I have currently are used/bad and in a 5150 I'm trying to repair.

I havent had any major problems yet, live. *knock on wood*

and, no backup amp currently.

if something would happen...id either be screwed or have to borrow someones amp.

Same here.

I bring another power amp and preamp just to be safe. Who has time during a gig to figure out what's tube went bad. It's alittle more work but I should only be down for about 20-30 seconds if it ever happens. Also nice to have another setup if you have another guitarist in the group. That way one of you can use the backup rig if necessary.

Finally did my first gig with my F-50 this weekend. I didn't want to bring my main Mark IV along as a "backup", so I brought my POD-XT along and figured I could go direct if I had to. I also brought a spare set of 2 used power & 2 preamp tubes.

Luckily nothing happened, but I was still sweating bullets. I've had a critical piece of gear fail on me only once before onstage, and it was enough (I very stupidly brought only one guitar to an out-of-town gig, and the low string broke, throwing all the other strings out of tune... you try playing "Under a Glass Moon" on a single string!).

In any case, I'm going to be picking up a 2nd Mark IV for at-home use, and make my other Mark IV my primary gigging amp (with the F-50 as a backup). I'd just rather have something I can switch to quickly on stage. Having a head, combo, and 2x12/4x12 cab is a pretty redundant combination. The only thing I wouldn't have a backup of is my G-Major (if it failed the only real victim would be those weird pitch-shifted RATM solos).

I bring my Marshall solidstate along for back up nowhere near the power but I can get almost the same distortion sound.

Back