Hetfield's 1993 C+ settings and rig pix

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually a couple of the Mesa heads with slightly different post EQ going on, the MP1 and sometimes the Studio (usually/sometimes mixed with the jc120 combo for cleans).

and a marshall...there's always some sort of marshall in there in the background. The boogie is his main amp though. I think he used the Marshall less and less throughout the 90's and 2000's.

Familiar site :mrgreen:
Where did you find that link? (never seen that page)
Must say, I hear these settings every week (through a MK IV and MK III Blue stripe) and they're darn close 8)

FC Spoiler said:
Familiar site :mrgreen:
Where did you find that link? (never seen that page)
Must say, I hear these settings every week (through a MK IV and MK III Blue stripe) and they're darn close 8)

I have had that page bookmarked for ages, can't recall were I got it......

Elpelotero said:
and a marshall...there's always some sort of marshall in there in the background. The boogie is his main amp though. I think he used the Marshall less and less throughout the 90's and 2000's.

Yup, up until AJFA anyway. Pretty much after that it was mainly Boogies on the road for James.

soundpurist said:
KoolAIDMan said:
What the hell is that sticker on James' gear? :

wtf.jpg

Disturbing.

You're right man what the f...
It looks like he pasted Frankenstein's monster's head over the "Roots" picture.

As far as the amp settings, great pics. I suppose that it would be futile to try to get his sound with these settings without the Furman PQ-3 preamp in front.

4nkam said:
Usually a couple of the Mesa heads with slightly different post EQ going on, the MP1 and sometimes the Studio (usually/sometimes mixed with the jc120 combo for cleans).

I thought the two other MarkIIC+ amp heads were used as backups?

Was the MP-1 used for distortion, or cleans? Or for both, since there actually were two MP-1's in the rig?

petejt said:
4nkam said:

I thought the two other MarkIIC+ amp heads were used as backups?

Was the MP-1 used for distortion, or cleans? Or for both, since there actually were two MP-1's in the rig?

Somtimes they were, sometimes they weren't. There's not much info out there but from what I've read it sounds like things weren't set in stone. But most the tone was the C+ or two with the different post EQ and sometimes the mp1. I don't think james used the mp1 for cleans though, just Kirk.

Yeah he's used it since AJFA. During the black album tour he started messing around with others mixed together live (like the studio pre). Then in 1995/1996, his whole rig changed and it was all Triaxis/Strategy 400 and JC120 head. He combined a clean preset of the Triaxis/Strategy 400 and the JC120 head.

He still uses the JC120 head and I'm not sure if he's using the VH4 or Triaxis mixed in...kinda sounds like the VH4.

4nkam said:
Somtimes they were, sometimes they weren't. There's not much info out there but from what I've read it sounds like things weren't set in stone.

Why were they all over the shop? Why was everything so erratic and not set in stone? It's crazy :shock: :? .

petejt said:
4nkam said:
Somtimes they were, sometimes they weren't. There's not much info out there but from what I've read it sounds like things weren't set in stone.

Why were they all over the shop? Why was everything so erratic and not set in stone? It's crazy :shock: :? .

I don't think it was erratic, just freedom to use/try different things :) I mean, you can see for yourself in the one pic of the bradshaw board one setting is mesa clean and James never even mentioned that he really used a mesa for clean tones live at the time, just the jc120.

Hey Monty, any chance you have any pictures their amps/racks from the load/reload era. Anything and everything from the studio and live would be cool. Those are the only pictures I haven't really seen and they don't show up on you site. Thanks and keep up the great work dude!!!!!!!

yeah I do and I reallllllllllllllllly need to fix the site. been way too long since I've done anything with it. For the studio, it was a ton of gear, probably the most they've used I'd say. they had the live racks which were a mix of what they used before load and ON the load tour. So we're talking CAE, jmp1, triaxis, mp1, etc. The usual C+, jose marshall, etc. some others like a trainwreck, matchless, fenders, etc.

Any way you could post all of it?!?!?! I know it's probably a lot of work but I've been dying to see it. Thanks a lot again. You're the man!!!

Latest posts

Back