Help: fried Roadster (no output), due to spike at input.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Numbat

Reaction score
Hello. I'd appreciate people's thoughts and advice on the following problem.

I have a Dual Rec Roadster, which I bought used. Awesome amp which has been faultless for the 3 years I've owned it. I particularly love the clean sound, and Channel 3 "Raw".

Last night, during a re-amping session in my studio, I seem to have fried it. There is no output at all, from any channel. I strongly suspect it is due to a transient spike received at the input.

I was re-amping a bass DI back from my recording system. I took the low impedance/balanced signal from my console, and ran it through a Radial Re-amp transformer box (which I've used before with no problems), and into the amp. The levels seemed right, it sounded fine, I dialled in a tone. Then I think I did something stupid. I put a phantom powered mic on the cabinet, turned down my console's monitoring amp as per my usual practice to avoid the 'thump', then turned on the +48v for the mic. No thumps, no bumps, but... after that, no sound from the MESA. I can only conclude that a transient spike from switching on the +48 volts was fed out of the console (a different group out mind you) and into the amp. Lesson learned.

Assuming this was the cause, what would likely be damaged in the amp? All the channel switching still works, the valves all appear to be lit up okay, but there is no sound from any channel. Since it happened last night I haven't had a chance to open it up yet, but it passes the "sniff test" - I can't smell any burnt components.

So, any suggestions of things to look for? Thanks.

At worst, probably blown resistor/cap in the signal path. Start by swapping preamp tubes with a known good tube. If that does not work, it's time for a service visit to a good tech.

Back