Harsh Frequencies Cause Ringing in Ears

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctc

Reaction score
I don't know if this is a forbidden topic in Rockdom but it's bothering me enough to see if others have experienced it. I play quietly. When I practice by myself you could carry on a conversation at a normal speaking volume. When I first started to play with this amp I thought my ears were simply annoyed due to not having been exposed to a tube amp after having used a digital modeler for many years. But my ears started to ring soon therafter. When I play with the band at higher volumes (they always ask me to turn it up) I use ear plugs. Recently I stopped playing for about 5 weeks and the ringing went away. Now after only 4 quiet practice sessions my ears have started to ring again. I have dialed down the presence and boosted the bass but the problem continues. Why would my ears be ringing after playing at such low volumes? Are there extreme harsh frequencies coming out of this amp that could do this?

ctc said:
I don't know if this is a forbidden topic in Rockdom but it's bothering me enough to see if others have experienced it. I play quietly. When I practice by myself you could carry on a conversation at a normal speaking volume. When I first started to play with this amp I thought my ears were simply annoyed due to not having been exposed to a tube amp after having used a digital modeler for many years. But my ears started to ring soon therafter. When I play with the band at higher volumes (they always ask me to turn it up) I use ear plugs. Recently I stopped playing for about 5 weeks and the ringing went away. Now after only 4 quiet practice sessions my ears have started to ring again. I have dialed down the presence and boosted the bass but the problem continues. Why would my ears be ringing after playing at such low volumes? Are there extreme harsh frequencies coming out of this amp that could do this?

This is a question for a doctor, man. Tinnitus is a symptom of multiple hearing-related issues, and only a health professional can give you credible information.

ifailedshapes said:
ctc said:

This is a question for a doctor, man. Tinnitus is a symptom of multiple hearing-related issues, and only a health professional can give you credible information.

And considering that MOST of us suffer from it in one form or another, listen to your body.

Ah, the double-edged sword, be heard, or not be able to hear...again. In ear monitors. Period. Get the good ones that require having a mold cast. It's an investment that will pay dividends many, many times over. Then your band mates can call for more volume all they want without any damage to you. Inexpensive solutions (like Bose IE2s that work pretty well) won't protect your ears as well, but certainly drop the SPL drastically.

I'm no doctor, but it sounds like you already have tinnitus and the amp is aggravating it.

I know you mentioned reducing the high end, but I find it's the punchy midrange and powerful clean tones that drives a nail through my ears.

I have had tinnitus in my right ear for over a year now. I'm not sure what caused it but my guess is from listening to music in my car too loud. I'm not sure if it will ever go away but I doubt it. I've had to learn to live with it. There is no known cure.

My advice would be the same as what the other guys said. Always use ear plugs when playing, even at low volumes for now. Make sure the plugs you use are decent and actually protect you from harsh frequencies, ramming cotton wool or those foam things in your ears is useless. Personally I would stay away from any loud volumes for now and give your ears some rest, even if that means cancelling the next few band practices. It's a small price to pay in the grand scale of things.

And considering that MOST of us suffer from it in one form or another, listen to your body.

... In ear monitors. Period. Get the good ones that require having a mold cast. It's an investment that will pay dividends many, many times over...

I agree which is why I bought Etymotic custom mold earplugs. The monitors are out of my range for now, but I am protecting my hearing.

My advice would be the same as what the other guys said. Always use ear plugs when playing, even at low volumes for now.

Thx.

turn up, turn your amp against the wall, and smile!

Back