Got some NOS RFTs...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Facelift

Reaction score
and they turned my mark III into a fire breathing dragon! I cannot believe the difference they made compared to the mesa tubes that were in it. I slapped them in V1 and V3 and the cleans seems more clear and full but not as chimey as before. Really liquid like. THe lead channel, oh the lead channel, is now a monster. More low end, more clarity, punchier, and huge chunk. When I first started it back up and was playing, I thought wow this is great, then i realized that i didnt have pull deep or pull shift pulled like i normally do. OMG! Pull deep is now way more responsive. I hit a muted E chord and I thought a plane flew by creating a sonic boom...lol! Needless to say, I am smiling ear to ear. Thanks to those that recommended the RFTs, as they truly made this a better amp than what it already was.

Facelift, your welcome. :mrgreen:

Glad to see your enjoying the RFT's man.

They really bring the Mark's into another dimension.

~Nep~

+ 1,

now get 1 more RFT and two Tungsram for v1 v2, and you will be very happy. :wink:

Still smiling ear to ear. :lol: Amazing, just amazing.

cremona: I put these in V1 and V3 so far untill I get a full set to replace the mesa tubes. You say to get another RFT and 2 Tungrams? So I take it the RFTs should be in V3, V4, and V5...and the Tungram in V1 and V2? I see where you are going with putting them in V1 and V2. Clean and R2 right? I sometimes blend R2 and the lead channel. Would the Tungsram be a desirable tube to blend these two channels as the Tungsram, according to things Ive read about them, have less gain than the RFTs? Im a metalhead who loves to play thrash is why I ask?

I have a JJ in V5 right now and it seems to be glowing about twice as bright as any of the other tubes. Does this mean that it is stronger than the other tubes or does this happen with the PI tube regardless of whats in there? I dont really use reverb too much so I dont know if changing V4 to an RFT will make a difference in tone to me. I dont know all of what V4 does other than reverb but Ill give it a shot though.

Ive been scouring the net for the RFTs and got lucky on ebay from a guy that had a couple in the states for cheap. One of them had 10 mintues of play time and the other unused for jsut over 40 bucks for the pair. :shock: Im too cautious to be ordering from the sellers currently on there as places like that usually have scam written all over them.

I have one other question. I have 2 6L6 and 2 EL34. All mesa tubes. One of the 6L6s isnt glowing as bright as the other. Does that mean that it may be going bad? One more question. I hear a ringing when Im playing and a for a split second after I stop. Kinda like the sound glass makes when it vibrates. Would that mean theres a microphonic tube in there somewhere? It did this before I put the RFTs in there so I know its not those. Thanks for any help.

regarding the Tungsram, I can only giv my take on the pair i have i my C+ I dont have eny other experince with them , but the seem more transperent (high-end) sounding, with less colour then RFT`s, the are also said to be constructed like one of the best regarded ecc83 ever , the Telefunken 12ax7 .

The RFT`s are darker and have more grunt, to my ears . great metal music tube, I also started out with only a couple of RFT`s and was extremly happy, the tungsrams gave a more balanced and bigger sound , while also giving a more balanced sound, perfect combi in the c+, the mark is different sounding and more fizzy in the highs so all RFT`s might be the way to go.

In my C+ the RFT`s gave alot more bottom end in the P5(phase inverter) then both the tungsram and mesa boogie stock tubes , so i would try that out when i get some more RFTs, the difference was so great that i have bourgt 5 more RFT`s as back up.

I bourgt mine from a eupean ebay tube dealer and i bourgt them for 35 usd a pair.
As long as the dealer has plus 100 positiv deals, uses paypal ,i wouldent be to worryed.
I just bourgt 5 ithems from ebay sellers with the above specs, all turned up perfect , and the sennheiser md 421 mic i bourgt that diddent preform as i should, i got all my money refounded by the dealer right away, even before i shiped the mic back, thats the best secondhand experince i have ever had.

Latest posts

Back