Describe your Tone Valhalla!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MkIII Renegade

Reaction score
Just interested to hear how players here found their personal Valhalla and if there is a certain thing that made all the difference.

I am an avid recording enthusiast and obsessed with production of my recordings and studying others. I've been using my modded MkIII Simul-Class for about 15 years and finally got an original Mk Series metal grill cab with EV12s and C90 Black Shadows about 5 years ago to return it to original spec. I was very happy before with a Marshall 1960 cab, but the Mesa cab took me over the top! So much thump and creamy midrange, I'll never part with this setup!

650CSDDC127MkIII.jpg

After years on the back burner, I recently tracked down a Holy Grail for sorts for '90s Charvel lovers, a mint 650 Custom (final year). Since I already have a 475 with the Jackson system, I swapped to EMG 85/SA/SA+SPC for the 650 and paired with the MkIII it is true fire breather!! I was a bit cynical about EMGs for years, but they have a certain niche, I'll give them that (the 85 is much nicer than the 81). That's one type of Valhalla for me, but overall I probably still love passives more, so I have my San Dimas with JB/'59 and Carvin with Duncan Distortion/'59. The clarity of the Carvin is so amazing, I can use it the Bass Shift pulled for a very fat, yet tight sound. But the first time I played the SD, I held Invasion of Your Privacy in my hands. I've owned a PRS Custom 22 and many other guitars in the past, and there is no denying a Les Paul or Strat of course, but I was sick of seeing those everywhere even 20 years ago, and I like the Super Strat sound in most cases. I prefer to navigate slightly off the beaten path. As long as I have a Mark Series, I'm good. :D I am influenced by the metal sound I grew up with, Mr. Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, DiMartini, KK/Tipton, the late, great Mr. Hanneman, but also in-betweens like Navarro and more recently emergent bands like Porcupine Tree.

Effects wise, Valhalla is the Boss DD20 Giga Delay, especially Tape and Warped modes. Pedals of Valhalla is another thread altogether for me, but the DD20 is the one I couldn't live without, and I don't believe in paying $350 for pedals, either.

I do have a bit of OCD for high quality cables (absolutely essential, don't let any tin-eared "musician" tell you otherwise), although the Mogami Gold price range is as far as I go. They make a tremendous difference vs cheap cables, but I don't think you get much more beyond Mogamis.

The key to everything for me is the MkIII, but also the metal grill cab, which seems to be as heavy as a car engine, but it works! I don't think there is a Mesa out there with a better lead channel, even though the MkIV and V have a better balanced package. I'll probably pick up one of those at some point, but I know the MkIII will be included in my core arsenal until I die.

Oh yes. Many have come and gone, but the Mark III remains. Never let me down in 23 years. I have a couple EVM Thieles, but the mesh grille would be the perfect 4 x 12. One day, one day.

I love that white Charvel!!!!!

MkIII Renegade said:
the metal grill cab, which seems to be as heavy as a car engine
Try picking one up and setting it on top of a bottom cabinet, by yourself. What a task.

Renegade, that's a cool-a$$ed rig! 8)

MichaelC4 said:
I love that white Charvel!!!!!

MkIII Renegade said:
the metal grill cab, which seems to be as heavy as a car engine
Try picking one up and setting it on top of a bottom cabinet, by yourself. What a task.
This is exactly why I went to 2x12s. It's tough to play a 4 hour gig after either a.) pulling a back muscle, or b.) pushing your intestines out of your crotch! :shock: :lol:

MkIII-rig-outdoor.jpg

^^^^^

I probably need to get one of those vertical 2x12s for practical purposes. 8)

But I want to eventually get a 2nd metal grill 4x12 also. I think that setup cranked in stereo would allow me to see God! :shock:

I've always had one foot in the Recto camp and one foot in the Mark camp. I've always been drawn to the "Mesa" sound but there's two major flavours and I like both of them.

MkIII Renegade said:
But I want to eventually get a 2nd metal grill 4x12.
Here's a way I'm searching for my Tone Valhalla!
Last week I dialed in my Studio Preamp and 295 power amp. (still new to me)
I'm getting ready to take two cabinets into the studio this Saturday.
One is loaded in the traditional open back C90 and EVM12L combination and the other will be closed back C90 and V30 mix.
So, I'm going to close mic the four different speaker types and get another one in behind the open back C90.
Then listen for which ones I like. I figure I could get a nice blend or something.
This is the fifth time for me to go in the studio, and I've never cared this much before.
I guess I'm a late bloomer?

MichaelC4 said:
MkIII Renegade said:
But I want to eventually get a 2nd metal grill 4x12.
Here's a way I'm searching for my Tone Valhalla!
Last week I dialed in my Studio Preamp and 295 power amp. (still new to me)
I'm getting ready to take two cabinets into the studio this Saturday.
One is loaded in the traditional open back C90 and EVM12L combination and the other will be closed back C90 and V30 mix.
So, I'm going to close mic the four different speaker types and get another one in behind the open back C90.
Then listen for which ones I like. I figure I could get a nice blend or something.
This is the fifth time for me to go in the studio, and I've never cared this much before.
I guess I'm a late bloomer?

Tone is a lifelong pursuit. Everyone can learn basic technique in a few years. But what separates guitarists in the later years is mastery of tone.

Do report back with your results. 8) I've only tried limited blending thus far, although I sometimes mix things up for my twin guitar attack in the studio. I play all rhythm parts at least twice and often double-track leads Rhoads style for a natural chorus effect that beats artificial any day. :mrgreen:

The rack approach has always been in the back of my mind, but I'm kind of scared to go down that road....because then I'll think about how many empty slots need to be filled! I kind of like having my various funky pedals anyway....but again, it's a lifelong pursuit....

MkIII Renegade said:
Tone is a lifelong pursuit

I agree, but I've only been playing guitar for 5 years now and I've been seriously into high-end gear for 3 years now, but shockingly enough, I am already happy with what I have going on. :shock:

I'm really a complete ***** in terms of tone. I have my feet all over the place. I lean towards the british tone but there's just something about the Mesa style american grunt that fits me as well.

Coming off a GT-6 straight into a Roland Cube 60 ( :oops: ), which wouldn't really do for the band I joined in 2010, I started off with a Marshall JVM410H, a big 4-channel tube monster and a 1960A cab. Soon enough (two months after getting that), I already decided that while T-75s are ok, V30s sound better for what I do (thrash/heavy metal). Over the years I have tweaked my Marshall a bit, first thing was juiced the bias a bit, play around with preamp tubes. After that I modded it out of curiosity mostly and the mods stayed. Somewhere along the line I picked up a TriAxis/2:90 combo and while it took me about a year to master it, I'm glad I gave it the time and attention it needs. Also tweaked the preamp tubes. As far as pickups go, I have a wide variety of guitars and I don't want not two of them sounding the same. They all sound great, that's what matters. Cables... meh, I don't think a 40€ cable is worth it, I buy cables that aren't cheap but don't have any "magic sprinkle" claiming they do this and that - I use Proel Esoteric cables, and they do the job (good stiffness, indestructible Neutrik jacks). I kept my GT-6 because the FX sound great (the preamps are a joke but with a 4 channel, 3 channels per mode Marshall and an 8 channel Mesa who needs that), and so I took care of any need for pedals. Not a fan of dirt boxes, I like all my drive from the amp.

I read a conversation between a tech and a user over at the JVM Forum a while ago that really opened my eyes and dissipated a lot of unneeded GAS (the rest was taken care of by my "if it's not gonna see the stage, you don't need it" rule). I think the three major factors in tone are pickups, head, cab (speakers). Minor factors are tubes, bias, pedals etc. If you nail the three major factors, and tweak the minor factors to your liking, then you'll really have to try hard to make your rig sound bad or wrong for you.

I really confirmed that I'm GAS-free when I went to thomann, I believe Europe's largest music store, and tried a buttload of amps and cabs, none of which impressed me to the extent that I'd really really want one. That showed me I'm happy with what I have and I don't need anything else. :)

@Sreamingdaisy- Kick *** setup. Top notch equipment. I'm drooling.

@MkIII Renegade- Nothing to report, yet. We just focused on getting drum tracks Saturday.

We did set my rig up in another room, but, I noticed half way through the second set, the engineer had set the mics dead center of the speakers. I was wondering why I was getting an 'ice pick' sound. It sounded really crunchy, in a nice way. I should have payed attention, but, these guitar tracks are just rough tracks. They're getting replaced.

I am changing my game plan. I was running into my Studio Preamp feeding the 295 full power, turned up to 4, both channels to cabinets (open back C90 and EVM12L, closed back C90 and V30).

Now, I'm bringing my 3rd slant cab, which is stereo (open back C90 and MojoTone Vintage 30 copies, they came with the cabinet. It was only $150).
I will now run my .50 Caliber (two 6L6s) into one side of this cabinet, channel A of the power amp running Class A (two EL34s) to the other side.
4 mics on that cabinet.
I'm moving the mics over to the edge of the dust caps, to get rid of the ice pick.
Channel B will run Simul-Class (6L6s and EL34s, of course) into the two cabinets mentioned earlier. The engineer wants to put two mics on each speaker type, one centered - the other off center and off axis. That's 8 more mics. Oops, I forgot about the mic in the back of the open back C90. 9 mics on that. 13 total (that's just the close mics). Some condenser mics will be placed in the room. He does pay attention to phase, because we're pressing vinyl (two of the songs will go on our 4th EP record).
He wants to go overboard and I like it.
When we do this, he's going to take pictures and post it up on Gearslutz.com. I'll provide a link. My 1.2megapixel phone camera sucks.
This will take place in two weeks.

I'll have to post up, again, to talk about the 5 guitars I'm going to bring with me and what their rolls will be.

Side note: If anyone from The Boogie Board is on Facebook, look up MichaelC4, you'll find me. Send me a friend request with a note saying what your name is on here.

I had to pounce on yet another ( :shock: ) Charvel recently---475 Exotic. Although I love the stock J50BC/J200/J200 setup, I am very unlikely to have two similar guitars with the same pickups, let alone identical guitars, so that means I am in the market for a new set.

650C475.jpg

It seems like Jackson-Charvel players (and Les Paul players) most often gravitate toward Duncans, while more overtly nu-metalish players like Ibanez seem to gravitate toward Dimarzios (guess it helps that they have them stock in some cases). I think I would dig a Duncan Parallel Axis Trembucker at the bridge with the matching PA stacks for the single positions, although I wonder if the squarish PA singles would fit the Charvel's somewhat narrow cavities? Would be an awesome look, too.

Any ideas on good pickup combinations? I'd like to stick with the no visible pole pieces look, at least for the singles. It's important for me to have a rather stout, tight bridge pickup and a medium output neck pickup for full leads. I mostly use the middle single for clean combinations or twangy parts and prefer moderate output only.

Looking forward to discovering this guitar with a different setup than its older brother. :mrgreen:

I found out that the Parallel Axis singles do fit. :D

PATB2_AussieStrap.jpg

FullPAset.jpg

I've rarely seen a full set like this in any guitar (never in any Charvel), although occasionally in a Hamer USA Californian. The PA Stacks do sound somewhat traditional, although bigger than vintage single coils and with slightly less twang. I have heard some say they were P90ish, but I don't get that vibe. Regardless, with the Charvel's mid boost at zero, they are great for classic cleans, and when cranked, they are very warm and smooth with semi-rail pickup style lead tone (very full, but with clarity). I already knew what to expect with the Duncan Distortion. Excellent pickups, although I must praise the stock Jackson pickups in my other 475. The Jackson singles are dead on vintage style without hum, and the J50BC and has distinct "shriek" in the upper register when playing fast that I don't get with the DD. That shriek adds a certain X-factor, a level of intensity, to fast leads. So the Duncans did transform the personality of the 475, but I wouldn't call them superior to the stockers, just different. Nice to be able to have both. :twisted:

Picked up a nice brown leather strap from Australia to set off the new look. Very happy with the sound and visuals.

I must tell you that since I got my studio preamp it has been my must have component. I also have a Mark lll and love it dearly, but lately I've "found the sound" using the pre with my Mark llB or 1972 Marshall super lead with the pre in the front end, it's magical.

Markedman said:
I must tell you that since I got my studio preamp it has been my must have component. I also have a Mark lll and love it dearly, but lately I've "found the sound" using the pre with my Mark llB or 1972 Marshall super lead with the pre in the front end, it's magical.

Do you mind posting a pic of this:

Mark llB Padauk/wicker EV stack

I've been thinking about a classic wood/wicker Mark combo night and day lately..... :mrgreen:

Markedman said:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/9737889058/ Here's my Mark IIB stack, paid $1,200.00 with the original Anvil cases. Craigslist.

Beautiful! I look forward to having a similar setup eventually. 8)

Latest posts

Back