Good cab choice for a dual rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a recto 2x12 and genz benz 2x12....have a chance to get the basson 2x12 for 320(Used). Should I get it? Will it be a good purchase?

vertigo_ said:
I have a recto 2x12 and genz benz 2x12....have a chance to get the basson 2x12 for 320(Used). Should I get it? Will it be a good purchase?

well new i believe they're 450.... so depending on the condition i'd say so... i mean i got mine for 200 slightly used a while back when they were a little smaller of a company..... i would see if i could talk the guy down to 300..... i think it would mix in very well with the recto 2x12... for some reason those eminence legends par up great with the v30s

vertigo_ said:

DOOOOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW :lol:

i cant even find any used basson 2x12s i was lookin for the horizontal cabs to match the full stack but can never catch em on the bay or anywhere :cry: def do it you'll love em

For the sound Im going for, I haven't been able to beat my Orange 4x12 with V30's. Those orange cabs are so thick, and it gives me the resonance and bass that im looking for.

Ear Candy. 212. Check them out. At least send them an email. You won't be sorry! AND YOU'LL SAVE $$$!

earcandycabs.com

camsna said:
Ear Candy. 212. Check them out. At least send them an email. You won't be sorry! AND YOU'LL SAVE $$$!

earcandycabs.com

The only problem with companies like this is that they are in the US, and I am in Canada, and customs charges for crossing the border are terrible.

On another note, theres a guy selling a Mesa Rectifier 2x12 for 550 shipped a few hours from me. I don't know much about cab pricing, but does this sound like a good deal to anyone?

mackenziedeth said:
camsna said:

earcandycabs.com

The only problem with companies like this is that they are in the US, and I am in Canada, and customs charges for crossing the border are terrible.

On another note, theres a guy selling a Mesa Rectifier 2x12 for 550 shipped a few hours from me. I don't know much about cab pricing, but does this sound like a good deal to anyone?
for 550 i would look for a used stilletto or standard 4x12, only thing is nobody including MESABOOGIE knows if the vin.30"s are 70watt or 60, :lol:, at least they are not from g.d. china

mackenziedeth said:
camsna said:

earcandycabs.com

Used 2x12 mesa recto cab should be around 350-450.

mackenziedeth said:
Hey all,

I just recently purchased a dual rec from somebody which should be at my house in the next week or 2, but now I need to find a good cab to match it. I'd like to get a matching cab, but they aren't exactly easy to come across where I live, so I was wondering what would be the best cabs to go with a dual rec head? Theres somebody selling a Peavey 6505 cab near me, would that be a good cab to pair it up with? I'm really curious to what you guys would recommend.

Thanks

The Standard Staight Recto cab is my #1. Owned 'em all too. :wink:

I'm currently playing thru a Dual Rec with a Marshall 1960A/JCM 800 cab and it sounds good. It's got the Vintage 30 speakers in it like the Mesa cabs... The other guitarist in my band is picking up a Mesa cab next week so I'll really be able to tell if there is a big difference.

... currently my favorite cab for my DR is a Marshall 1965B 4x10. I believe it's back from somewhere in the 80's. I substituted 2 of the celestions with a pair of Fane alnicos. I'm getting better definition of both chords and notes, as well as a noticeable sparkle in the tone thats deeply centered and real nice around the edges.

I have a pair of old Altecs (alnico) that I had loaded into a 64 Fender Bandmaster 2x12 cab. Nothing real special about it, just heavy duty MDF built into one box with two separate compartments, closed back and packed with fiberglass. Those Altecs have never sounded as good after I sold the cab with the head. For now they just hang out in this gray fuzzy open back box until I can find something to unleash their potential again. The Altecs have a clean round sound and they articulate very well, some of my favorite twelve-inchers. I've thinking about matching them up with a couple of Vintage 30's or something similar.

I've got the same problems....

Trying to find a cab to pair with a Mark IV combo......in Canada

I'm after a 1x12 or 2x12 and can't seem to find anything, anywhere!

I run my dual rec through a 1960BX cab. It has Greenbacks. I think it's killer, but then again, what I like may not be what everyone else likes.

I may have just found someone willing to sell me a basson cab. They were asking 600, but the fact that they are 640 new made me make him an offer of 450, which I don't expect him to accept but maybe he'll counter offer. I'd love to grab it up considering they seem to have great reviews from people playing metal, which is what I mainly will be using it for.

mackenziedeth said:
I may have just found someone willing to sell me a basson cab. They were asking 600, but the fact that they are 640 new made me make him an offer of 450, which I don't expect him to accept but maybe he'll counter offer. I'd love to grab it up considering they seem to have great reviews from people playing metal, which is what I mainly will be using it for.

they're a great cab for metal... thick tight bottom end and a lot of clarity across the mids and highs.... sounds great with cleans as well as dirty.... also it can sound a little trebley but that changes once the speakers break in and its very easy to dial down... i think its part of the clarity

BTW basson is doing a promotion right now $550 shipped to you.... might be a little more if its going to Canada.... i would email shawn green at basson if that is in your range

jdurso said:
mackenziedeth said:

they're a great cab for metal... thick tight bottom end and a lot of clarity across the mids and highs.... sounds great with cleans as well as dirty.... also it can sound a little trebley but that changes once the speakers break in and its very easy to dial down... i think its part of the clarity

BTW basson is doing a promotion right now $550 shipped to you.... might be a little more if its going to Canada.... i would email shawn green at basson if that is in your range

It would definitely be in my range, but the customs charges to get it across the border would be pretty insane. I had to bay 170 bucks when I received a guitar shipped from the US, so I can only imagine the price Id need to pay when receiving a cab.

****, the guy already sold his Basson. I'll have to try any find a Canadian dealer, although their site doesn't even have an option for Canada...

mackenziedeth said:
****, the guy already sold his Basson. I'll have to try any find a Canadian dealer, although their site doesn't even have an option for Canada...

i'd definitely shoot shawn green from basson an email... he's a great guy to deal with and maybe able to help you out

Hi,
If You want a real cab for You DR :
http://www.nos-amps.com

I'm playing on Pre500 DR, I've tryed a lot af MESA CAB, but they are not at the level of these cabs.
The convenint : they are very heavy.
NOS make cabs as the tone You want. I've tryed 3 NOS 412 CABS and the first time I've played on it I was very disapointed.
One Year later, I've phoned to NOS to have an explanation about this problem, the answer was simple. The cab I've tryed wasn't designed for Recto.
So, I've tryed a NOS cab designed for a 5150mk2 and I must say that the NOS cab sound better than the PV cab with Sheffield.
I've tryed a Fender 62' DUAL SHOWMAN with his cab and a NOS cab and one more time the NOS was better.

In all case, NOS cabs are more precise (and a lot more ! ) and more respectful of the tone of the guitar and the tone of the Head. You can play at high sound pressure, the cab will not saturate.
It'very difficult to explain in details who it sound.

Another details : In France, a MESA RECTO STD cab is sold 1290€ and a NOS STANDARD designed for REcto is sold 990€. 300€ (400USD) of difference and the MESA is not so good about the fabrication.

If You want more details about it I can ask to a NOS's tech to explain why these cab are higher than other (That's my opinion :D )

BY

Richard

Latest posts

Back