Gibson Explorer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently played two of the "faded" Explorers at a shop in Huntington Beach, CA and was blown away how good the workmanship was on these examples compared to so many crappy onesI have played in the past. I almost bought it, but don't have any more room in the guitar closet. 8)

I too have been very impressed with the faded model as I tried one when I purchased my Roadster. I would consider buying another explorer if it is going to rip like that one!!

Love Explorers, especially my ESP MX2's

P1010025-1.jpg

For everyone that may care - GC is having a Memorial Day Sale from 8-5pm (in-stores) for the new Gibson Faded Explorer at $150 off - so it comes out to $949 (before tax of course).

I was always a fan of the mid 70s-early 80s Explorers - probably the best of anything done in the Norlin days. I can't stand the hacked up body Gibson uses now on the "76 RI" and other non-Historic models - looks nothing like a real Explorer to me, and I can't get over that for some reason. I'm sure they're fine guitars, but not for me.

That being said, the USA Hamer Standard (in no way am I talking about the import stuff) blows the Gibs away in terms of build quality and playability out of the box. Try one - it's well worth it!

My latest Standard is the best Explorer-type guitar I've ever owned (out of dozens over the last few decades):
Envyburstbody.jpg
envyburstinbooth.jpg

envyburstvint.jpg

cmatthes said:
I was always a fan of the mid 70s-early 80s Explorers - probably the best of anything done in the Norlin days. I can't stand the hacked up body Gibson uses now on the "76 RI" and other non-Historic models - looks nothing like a real Explorer to me, and I can't get over that for some reason. I'm sure they're fine guitars, but not for me.

THe Gibson 76 reissue is an exact copy (as far as dimensions go) to a 1976 (Norlin era) explorer.

I love the Explorer shape. I saw a trans black one on EBay and spewed I never had the cash. This is my Washburn A20 I’ve had for about 20 odd years. Its got Duncan pick ups now. Although I have only tried a few other guitars including Les Pauls, Teles, PRSs and a Strat I owned, it is still my favourite guitar. Oddly the only other guitar apart from a Music Man Petrucci that felt as good to play was an Epi Explorer.
DSCN1505.jpg

I have a Black A10 as well but its not in the same league to play although it still looks sweet.

ps I choose the guitars but the missus chooses the curtains. :wink:

Man you guys, I'm getting Explorer GAS bad! cmatthes, I love that Hamer; the most gorgeous green I've seen!

If I could ever find a vintage sunburst Explorer with an ebony fretboard I'd have to snatch it up, no questions asked :D

MrBear said:
Man you guys, I'm getting Explorer GAS bad! cmatthes, I love that Hamer; the most gorgeous green I've seen!

If I could ever find a vintage sunburst Explorer with an ebony fretboard I'd have to snatch it up, no questions asked :D
X2!!!

Hey there. This is my first post, so I thought I'd share my Explorer with you all. It's a 2013 Goldenaxe Explorer. This guitar has restored a lot of my faith in Gibson, as the workmanship on this is out of this world. I did replace the stock Lace Nitro-Hemis as I couldn't gel with them. Installed a Gibson 500t and. 496r in there instead ;-)

bj78mhn.jpg

LFapjBt.jpg

Ds8qLGN.jpg

That is a nice 'axe' you got, evil crawling i. Very nice.
My '04 Flying V came with the 500T and 496R. I like those Gibson pickups a lot.
My '05 SG just had 490s and I pulled the 500T out of the other SG to put in it.

leftyjackson said:
Wish I could get a lefty '84 reissue. I like the simplicity of it.
A reissue would be great. Have you seen how much an '84 Gibson Explorer goes for on eBay? Check out what this '85 went for. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1985-Gibson-Explorer-Left-Handed-Lefty-NO-RESERVE-/280920977803?pt=Guitar&hash=item416831f18b&nma=true&si=sjFIp%252BTobiLEJG75OyQzEx%252FPPwk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The best deal I can find for a lefty Explorer shape was my Dean Z79, in Transparent Cherry Sunburst, that I picked up from Guitar Center for $199 + $12 shipping.
Very solid construction. It feels, sounds, looks and plays great.
Someone put my favorite pickups in it, too. Duncan Distortion in the bridge and Jazz in the neck.
I'm glad I ran across it. (I was just playing it last night and broke the A string)

Most of the right handed people don't even know how small the lefty selection is.
And the great lefty guitars cost a lot more than right handed models.

The only right handed guitar I own is a Gibson SG-1 that I bought in a pawn shop for $250.

Back on subject. The funny thing about the Explorer shape. I love to sit up in bed and play it.

Off subject, again. I can play my V's laying down, great for when my back is aching.
I put the bottom wing in a 'figure four leg lock' by putting my left leg over the wing and putting my left foot under my right knee.
(reverse that for right handed)(It helps when your back hurts, believe me)

Thanks MichaelC4. I really do love the 500T. I had an old 1960 Les Paul Classic that had one installed and it just ate other Lester's for breakfast. Also because it has the 4 conductors going on, I've coil split both of them and it sounds almost tele like!

Ian

Back