Gibson Explorer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really digging those explorers

If they did one with a trem I'd buy it instantly.

The trad exploter shape just looks so much cooler than the modern equivalents from Dean and Jackson. (nice that they are)

I'm really looking at getting an Explorer, mostly for onstage.

Most of the Explorers in a 'something I'd play on stage' price range (under a grand) are a little too "metal" looking for me...

Anybody here ever do a Warmoth Explorer?

I'd be all about a natural explorer. I've been pleased with the Gibson ex's I've played. They look, sound, and play well. If a Hamer is that much better, I won't know what to think.

RR said:
edgarallanpoe said:
If you like Explorers, you owe it to yourself to play a Hamer USA Standard. You will never look back. The fit and finish on a Gibson can't even come close to the USA Hamers.
(image)
Yup, ...
girls-vanessax2.jpg

I'd like to tarnish that gold hardware.

Dead Moon Rising said:
Explores arer too metal? what about Allen Collins and The Edge?

Exactly, I mean *cheap* Explorers are usually too metal :)

:twisted: Just bought two Gibson 84 reissues in Dec. 2007 and saving one for a very rainy day. These monsters are tight and fast. I just replaced all the hardware and now she sits in white with black all around. :D :D :D

Micro, did you get those Ken Lawrence's new or used? And if used where did you find them?!? Did you have to sell plasma to get them? lol Awesome collection, I hope to have one that's half that one day......I love ESP and KL explorers, the best guitars in the world IMO...

-AJH

^^Nah, I bought them both used. However...I have a new one coming sometime in the "distant" future...there is a long wait time on `em.

I have a Limited Edition Gibson Explorer (in Natural Burst) otherwise its the same as the models they have today - 76 Reissue specs with 496/500 pickups. Its awesome - I did change the cap in the guitar and its a lot clearer than it used to be. I did play the new Faded model at GC and that thing rips! I really like the Faded models b/c it allows the wood to sing and breath without all that lacq and paint on the guitar.

I've always played an Gibson Explorer. I currently have an Explorer Pro with the maple top. The craftsmanship was top notch. It's sound is so thick and deep on the low end, and it screams for lead work. Even unplugged you can hear the "big-ness" of that guitar. I definitely recommend an Gibson Explorer for any one.

I almost bought one of those worn mahogany Explorers that GC has right now. But - the flimsy-*** CASE was the deal breaker! Honestly, that POS wouldn't have made it out of the store!

In the next couple of weeks I hope to start on the endeavor of rigging my own explorer out of an gibson explorer body with set neck. we'll see how it goes but I'm thinking that by June I should be sporting a JH2 replica =)

cvansickle said:
I almost bought one of those worn mahogany Explorers that GC has right now. But - the flimsy-*** CASE was the deal breaker! Honestly, that POS wouldn't have made it out of the store!

Is the case the same hardshell that comes with the nitro'd explorers? or a like a gig bag??

JohnP said:
I'm really digging those explorers

If they did one with a trem I'd buy it instantly.

The trad exploter shape just looks so much cooler than the modern equivalents from Dean and Jackson. (nice that they are)

Well I guess you gotta put your money where your mouth is.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Products/GOTM/ShredX/

If you want to spend some money and buy a really high end explorer go here: http://www.mjguitars.de/html/explorer_us.html

allfirst3_750_1a.jpg

This model is only $19 000 US dollars. Pretty cheap.....
sessdommex2PU_361_947_1.jpg

This one is a little more money, $29 000 US
galaxy_largeview5.jpg

Here is one for poor people, $5900 US
explorerstandard_500_1232_2.jpg
[/img]

thejay said:
cvansickle said:

Is the case the same hardshell that comes with the nitro'd explorers? or a like a gig bag??
It's not a gig bag, but calling it a hardshell case would be inaccurate.

Ouch, so its not even the same one as the "regular" explorers?

Latest posts

Back