Expression Pedal Options

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo1

Reaction score
I'm curious what opinions are about the different available expression pedal options. I'm currently using my EB VP/Jr with my Ground Control Pro and it works fine. I have no problems with it aside from the one time it broke its string and there was nowhere to get one before a gig. I'm needing to pick up a second pedal and aside from having two alike on the board, I'm not married to having to get another EB. The other I've been recommended to look at is the Boss FV-500H.

EB VP/Jr.
419SLNr1gnL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Boss FV-500H
41JLwEEUxiL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

What do y'all recommend from your experiences?

The Boss seems to have changed appearance a bit since the last one I had, but if it's still the same inside:

The mechanism in the Boss is more reliable than the EB - no string or bearings, just a piece of spring steel that moves a slider; BUT the slider pot is slightly less reliable than the rotary one in the EB, though easy to change. The Boss is stereo so if one side goes bad you can still use the other. The Boss has a 'zero' control so you can restrict the range of the sweep when the pedal is heel-down.

The Boss has a different and shorter physical pedal travel angle - more like a Cry Baby, it doesn't go as steep at heel-down or quite to exactly horizontal at toe-down. I much prefer the Boss, I hate that steep angle on the EB, but this is purely personal taste. The EB may have a slightly more sensitive adjustment just because the physical travel is wider.

The EB looks nicer :). And is physically smaller so it doesn't take up as much board space.

(You probably want the Boss FV500L not the 500H for an expression pedal by the way, but check the manufacturers' spec for the Ground Control, for the impedance requirement. If there's none or it doesn't matter, I would use the L.)

Back