Express 5:25 Plus - Reverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwhinz

Reaction score
Greetings forum folks. I just purchased my Express 5:25 Plus this week. Even got to open the shipping box and unpack it, brand-spankin' new. I am lovin' the tone and adjustability... and of course, the Mesa build quality. Even the documentation is top-notch... which shows that you get what you pay for!

Is anyone perceiving the reverb on the Express Plus series to be "really wet?" 9 o'clock on the dial (or 25% of the available range) is PLENTY of reverb... especially with the long decay? I like tube-driven, spring reverb as an effect... and rarely play without it. But I tried some of the recommended settings in the 5:25 Plus owner's manual, and settings around 12 o'clock on the dial (or 50% of the available range) were kinda overwhelming. On the Blues/Burn channel 2 with more gain, it was downright unruly!

For me, I would look for more adjustment resolution within the range I actually use... and skip the extra above/beyond "usable" reverb. On the test drive in the store, I even plugged into a 1x12" Lonestar Classic (another Mesa amp I currently own) just to make sure my ears weren't broken. Interestingly, both amps were voiced "really wet" with the reverb... which I guess was the design intent.

Just looking for opinions from other Express Plus owners, specific to the on-board spring reverb. No doubt I'll enjoy this new amp, so thanks for your feedback.

Kristopher Hinz
Asheville, NC

Agreed...it is really a powerful reverb circuit.I have the older non-plus express and the reverb is the same - Very wet.

I have my reverb set to sub-9 O'clock on both channels.

Glenn

The same here - I use settings around 9 o´clock for Clean and even less on Burn.

Yup, I find the same thing on my 5:50+

Usual max for me would be around 9-10 o'clock , most times lower than that is all that I need.
Great sounding 'verb though.

Thanks for the updates. Playing again tonight with a 2007 Am. Deluxe Strat and a 2006 Am. Telecaster. Great tones from both setups, and the amp really highlights the unique character of the guitar/pickup combinations. I am in HEAVEN.

Reverb sounds great, but still dialing back on channel 2. Not sure if multi-watt options are affecting reverb mix at 5/15/25 power configs, but a little knob tweaking gets it to the sweet spot pretty quickly.

Burn channel is great for slide guitar, by the way. Great natural compression, sustain, and tasty overtones. Just restrain the reverb!

I agree.
I have my reverb on about 8 o'clock when I do use it, and that is more than enough

Could always try a different tube in V5. 12AT7, AY7, BH7, DW7.

The 12BH7 and 12DW7 might be of particular use, because one triode has the gain factor of 100 and the other triode has a gain factor of 20. Which would drastically change the send (dwell/drive) and the return (blend).

EtherealWidow said:
Could always try a different tube in V5. 12AT7, AY7, BH7, DW7.

The 12BH7 and 12DW7 might be of particular use, because one triode has the gain factor of 100 and the other triode has a gain factor of 20. Which would drastically change the send (dwell/drive) and the return (blend).

I was thinking another tube (V5), with less gain, will help the resolution issue.

That's typical of a Fender style reverb. I set the reverb on my old Fender amps at around 2-1/4 (dial numbers, not o'clock).

Don said:
That's typical of a Fender style reverb. I set the reverb on my old Fender amps at around 2-1/4 (dial numbers, not o'clock).
Just played a DRRI and that is very true ... more reverb than I would ever want...

NomadExpress said:
Don said:
Just played a DRRI and that is very true ... more reverb than I would ever want...

I don't find Mesa Express reverb any stronger than most Fenders - it's a little better but not stronger imo.
And the taper is just fine too imo PLUS......................

I want very strong reverb on the dial

if you want it light that's easy to dial in on Express but if you wanna do Chris Isaac washed out dreamy for example - then you'll need the reverb on Express maxed & add a reverb pedal for more.
I did a recording of "Wicked Game" but the 5:50's reverb was not strong enuf to nail it.
So I had to add an EX Holy Grail Plus pedal for more.
There's lots of music that needs very strong reverb :mrgreen:

Interesting Don. I found with the F30. I would have it set to about 10 and then wind it up to 2 for something like "wedding cake island". The 5 25 is usually set at 8 and never gets above 12. Don't mind that at all

Latest posts

Back