EVM12L (200 watt) VS EVM12L (300 watt) Pro-Line

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelpingFriendly

Reaction score
Hi all, I just acquired a Purple Stripe Mark iii and had a question about speakers. I plan to match a 2x12 cab with one Mesa Celestion MC90 and one EVM12L. I have a chance to grab a EVM12L Pro-Line (300 watt). Is there any difference in sound, tone or response with the evm12l Pro-Line vs the regular 200watt? I want to know before I buy it. I know the 200watt is a great speaker for this amp. Thanks

I believe there is a tone difference. The classic is the same as the EVM12L series which is a little softer in the bass. However, the Mesa EVM12L (200w) has a different suspension material than the classic EV. The bass response is a little tighter. I decided to try the EVM12L Black Label (which is the new version of the Pro-line) and to my surprise it has the same suspension material as the Mesa EVM black shadow. My Mark III blue stripe had the EVM12L black shadow that was rated at 200W. I also have a small 1x12 with an EVM12L that had the 300W rating. I assumed it was the classic, but may not have been. I preferred the tone of the EVM12L black shadow over the softer tone of the EMV12L (300w). For reference I bought the speaker back in 1992 so I am not quite sure if it was Classic or Pro-line but it did have a 300W rating. Just to hear the difference, I mounted the aftermarket EVM12L in the Mark III and placed the EVM12L black shadow in the 1x12. Definitely softer bass response (not as punchy) as the Black Shadow speaker. The closest current production speaker to the original Mesa EMV12L Black Shadow is the EVM12L Black Label, has a tighter bass response and punch. I tried one in my Mark IV since I was missing the tone of the Mark III after I sold it. Not bad but did not fit well since it was rear mounted. I replaced my V30 with EVM12L Black Label (since I already had one, I got three more) to stuff in my Mesa Rec 412 and so far it is perfect. That is a great combination for Mark V or Mark IV, I did not have the Mark III at the time to try it. For the record, the 412 with the V30's sounded terrible. Cabinet size was not the best for V30. I did transplant the V30's into a smaller 412 and it made a complete difference. If you are looking for similar tone as the Mesa Black Shadow EVM12L, I believe that would be the Zakk Wylde endorsed EMV12L Black Label. When I had it in my Mark IV, clean channel provided percussive piano like tones with the lower strings. Definitely a better speaker then the MC90. I could not get it to break up. That being said, the lower response of the speaker also changed the high gain tone as well. However, at lower volume levels, the bass was more dominant than the higher frequencies. The MC90 sounded better at bedroom level but terrible at band practice level and practically wanted to eject the voice coil at concert levels. If I was eager enough to take apart my Mark IV, cut the grill, and open up the mounting hole, add 4 more additional mounting bolt holes, I would have kept the EVM12L black label in it. Eventually I did just that but for a Fane Studio 12L (not the same tone as the EV12L Black Label, actually closer to the 200W Classic but with a flatter frequency response and seems to be missing some midrange due to flat response.)

I'd get a vintage 200w 12L and put it in a Thiele cabinet (you'll get plenty of clear gut-thumping bass) and run the C90 in a half-back cab. Easier to transport, and the Thiele is designed around the 12L specs. They're fairly common on eBay.

Either way, I'd go with a vintage 200w unit and stay away from the 300 watters based on stuff I've read over the years.

dodger916 said:
I'd get a vintage 200w 12L and put it in a Thiele cabinet (you'll get plenty of clear gut-thumping bass) and run the C90 in a half-back cab. Easier to transport, and the Thiele is designed around the 12L specs. They're fairly common on eBay.

Either way, I'd go with a vintage 200w unit and stay away from the 300 watters based on stuff I've read over the years.

Could you summarize the pros and cons of the 300W EVM12L? I am curious what you have learned and why to avoid them.

Here are the Engineering Data Sheets (EDS): http://www.electrovoice.com/downloads.php?fam=181&title=Loudspeakers&d=1

The 12L sheet mentions "the EVM 12L's frequency response is specifically tailored for brilliant lead guitar performance and classic guitar tones", whereas the Pro-Line notes "musical instrument and sound reinforcement systems" and "bright midrange performance". I don't have experience with the Pro-Line, but I've read where others prefer the standard 12L.

interesting, there are EVM12S (Pro-line) or series II EDS that were 200W, the EMV12L (Pro-line) are 300W, now the reissue classic EVM12L is 200W and the Black Label is 300W. which is which?

I would just get one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EV-ELECTRO-...o_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item461cc1302e

This is a completed action, and a great deal for two, but it gives you a price range to deal with. You should be able to get one for $150 to $175 tops, and probably lower. Keep an eye on eBay; some are there now. I prefer the older ones as they are also broken in. You can also find them loaded into Thiele cabinets.

Back