Cabinet Extensions for Mark IV Widebody Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zyglio

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I posted a day or two ago about a Mark IV Wide-body Combo I just purchased which is on the way to me (it'll be about a week). I was curious about what kind of cabinet extension options I had, and which ones made the most sense. I have only ever seen one pic of a Mesa Combo on a 1x12 extension cabinet but it was a Caliber 50+ setup.

So, my questions...

o What is the first obvious choice? Is there a specific cab that is supposed to be used for this purpose?

o Can I set it on a 4x12 and and plug into that?
o How about a full stack?
o Or a 2x12?

o Once I plug in a 2x12 or full cab, does this cut out or otherwise affect the main combo speaker? Do I have an option setting related to this?

I will probably have a better idea of my options once I get the unit and digest the manual, but that will be a few days --- and I want to SHOP SHOP SHOP!!! :D Even if I am not buying right away... ;)

Thanks for your input on the subject. I appreciate the help.

I've heard people say a theile cab works well, yet i've never heard or seen one...

As far as multiple speakers or cabs, your mark iv should have 3 speaker jacks in the back, one 8 ohm, and two 4 ohm. I think (i'm not an expert) that you can run two 8ohm rated speakers by plugging each into one of the 4 ohm jacks. The speaker on the combo plugs into the 8ohm jack when that is the only speaker you are using. So if you were to add a cabinet, you would plug the onboard speaker into the 4ohm, and the cabinet into the other 4ohm.

I wouldn't buy anything till you get your amp. I have a single Fane 100watt Alnico speaker in my MKIIC+ and it sounds amazing no need for any extension. You might find you don't need an extension either. Or you might find the combo is too heavy and convert it to a head which might change what your looking for in an extension cab. Don't be too impulsive you might regret it.

Thanks zeppman for the tech info. That was helpful and just the type of info I was looking for. Got my guitar today! Woohoo! Now I have to take it in to get set-up, but it will be worth the wait knowing I already have it.

I understand your point 908ssp. I did just make a couple purchases (the amp and guitar), but it took me a LONG time to throw that switch. I have 14 years since I got my current amp and 19 since the current guitar.

So, I am not in as huge hurry as it may seem to actually make the buy, but I wanted to shop so I can get a pricing and availability profile. I can't do that if I don't know what to shop for or what my limitations might be. For example, is a 2x12 "rectifier" cab different than a normal cab? Now that zeppman explained the jacks I can also ask sellers more educated questions.

Any recommendations on what type of cabinet people like to use with a Mark IV Widebody Combo? Does the "Widebody" present a limitation or will that set on top of just about any Mesa speaker cab?

Thanks for the inputs.

Yes, a rectifier is different then what you would call a normal cab. Rectifier cabs are completley enclosed, and a little oversized. I had a 2x12 at one point, and it was very dark, i didn't like it with my mark. Try a theile or a 3/4 back...if you absolutely need the extension cab. Like others have said, its not really needed. The only reason why i would ever want an extension again, is if it had a different speaker in it that I really liked, and I don't want to mess with the actual combo itself.

Whatever you do, make sure you get a cab rated at 8 ohms. I believe all boogie cabs are. It will make life much easier for you.

Latest posts

Back