Buying a 7 String

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesD

Reaction score
I am looking into picking up a 7 string guitar and wondering if anyone has any recomendations? Thanks in advance!

Depending on how much you want to spend, I'd check out the Schecter C-7, the Hellraiser 7, and also the new Ibanez S-7320, and the RG 7's. Just depends on whether you want a floyd rose trem on it or not. Also, if you really want a nice one, and have the bucks to shell out, check out the new Dean Razorback 7, it's sick. haha

-AJH

Jeff Loomis model Schecter

000008881.jpg

For best quality/price ratio go with the Carvin 747 or 727. Remarkable guitar, and is very comfortable to play. And you can make one exactley to your specifications!
01_dc727-small.jpg

I love my Jackson Christian Olde Wolbers 7 string. Single 707 in the bridge, its one of the only 7 strings that is all mahogany with an ebony fretboard, it looks great (unlike the Carvins), it has a GREAT fret job (unlike the LTD M207 and 307), and they are cheap too.

love my neckthru USA Warlock. highly recommended (if you're a true hessian) if you're willing to shell out the $$$. otherwise, those LTD's are awesome if you switch out the crappy pickups.

182680160_l.jpg

Don't forget the Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci 7..............awesome guitar. I believe it is the best 7 you can buy.

I've been considering the idea of purchasing a Carvin DC 727 for quite a while now, solely for reviews I've read - never actually seen one. Does anyone else have it?

Guitarzan said:
Again look at Schecter...

+1

I think you can't beat the bang-for-the-buck with Schecters. They're an increadible value and their quality control for an overseas made guitars is remarkable. All of the fret work and set up on Schecters is done in the US so they play like a guitar costing twice as much. I love Jackson and PRS guitars but I won't buy anything else under $1K unless it's a Schecter.

I recently upgraded from the Schecter Omen 7 to the Hellraiser 7. It is a sweet guitar for the money and I would highly recomend it. If you want a Floyd, go with the Jeff Loomis Signature model like Guitarzan (I bought my Hellraiser 7 just before they announced the Jeff Loomis model). You can't go wrong!

++1 on the Hellraiser. I just picked one up yesterday, and aboslutely love it. The playability and fit & finish are the best I've ever played on a new sub-$700 guitar.

HellRaiser-C-7-sm.jpg

The pic doesn't really do the guitar justice; I love the body trim, fret inlays, and the black hardware. The best part is that it sounds absolutely killer through my Mark IV & F-50. :)

I already have an Ibanez 7420 (on which I had replaced the pickups with a ToneZone 7 + AirNorton 7) that I still like a lot, but I wanted something that (a) didn't have a tremolo and (b) had active EMG pickups (all my other guitars have passives, and all but the Les Paul have DiMarzios, so I was after some tonal variety). I got the Hellraiser for a backup 7-string, but it may become my primary 7-string.

One of the reasons I've avoided active pickups so far is the need to use a 9v battery. One thing I really like on the Hellraiser is the ease-of-access to the battery compartment (no screwdriver needed; just pop the clip). How many hours of play does one get before needing to change the battery?

SeasonOfPain said:
How many hours of play does one get before needing to change the battery?

The 9v lasts for quite a while with EMG's. It's something like 1500 or 2000 hours of playing time I've been told. EMG's still work without a battery in them at all, you would just loose that punch that the battery adds.

You probably already know this, but make sure your guitar is unplugged when you are not playing it if you are using active pickups. The input jack on a properly equiped guitar with EMG's works like an on/off switch. If you remeber to do that, you should get at least 6 months to a year out of one 9v battery under normal playing conditions.

I've always had a soft spot for the old universes. The necks are just insanely playable, and they still stack up more than well against today's axes!

Having said that, I'd definately look into shechters, they recieve nothing but praise it seems, but overall you may find that if you want a thin neck profile that they may not be for you as theirs tends to be slightly towards the thicker side.

ESP/LTD I can't comment on, and refuse to play ever since they gave mr filth an endorsement despite him not being able to play for ****.

Ibanez: old RG7620's seem to be a firm favorite, I love my old universes, and the s7320 is gaining a lot of good reviews.

To be honest, i reckon your best bet is to go play a few brands to get a feel for the neck.

Then, most likely, have a look at replacing stock pickups.

And finally, this place has a wealth of information and knowledge that's worth sifting through:
http://www.sevenstring.org

Good luck, and ever since picking up 7strings I've always preferred playing them :) :)

G.I.G. said:
Guitarzan said:
Again look at Schecter...

+1

I think you can't beat the bang-for-the-buck with Schecters. They're an increadible value and their quality control for an overseas made guitars is remarkable. All of the fret work and set up on Schecters is done in the US so they play like a guitar costing twice as much. I love Jackson and PRS guitars but I won't buy anything else under $1K unless it's a Schecter.

I recently upgraded from the Schecter Omen 7 to the Hellraiser 7. It is a sweet guitar for the money and I would highly recomend it. If you want a Floyd, go with the Jeff Loomis Signature model like Guitarzan (I bought my Hellraiser 7 just before they announced the Jeff Loomis model). You can't go wrong!

Loomis.jpg

I Love this thing!

Latest posts

Back