breaking in speaker cab - how?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oyster

Reaction score
Yesterday I bought a 2x12 recto cab (v-30 spkrs) so at my option I will no longer have to haul my massively heavy 4x12 around to gigs/rehearsal.

My old 4x12 recto cab sounds super - nice and mellow compared to this brand new recto 2x12 cab which is quite harsh. Is this normal?

I know that probably the 2x12 will lack some bass response vs. the 4x12 no matter what, but right now it sounds so harsh and as my wife put it, "tinny".

Is it true? Is there a way I can break this 2x12 in? Is there a way to get rid of this tinniness, real quick-like?? :?:

Thanks in advance for your help guys!!!

David

Play it real loud for about an hour..

:D That's about it. You just have to play it.

I leave my amps on the Lead channel when I stop for a break. The hiss seems to help too. It's really just a matter of making the speaker move and loosening up the parts. The magnets may age as well, some people believe this, so it may continue to sound sweeter & sweeter.

What speakers do you have in it? The Celestion Black Shadows have always sounded tinny to me until broken in.

my 2x12 recto cab sounds like it will kick your teeth in and rip your balls off when I play through it! Don't put it on a stand or you will loose all the bass.

Thanks for the fast replies, guys. :D 8)

The speakers are Celestion V-30s. Right now I am cranking music through it quite loud hopefully that will do it.

Monsta-Tone said:
Play it real loud for about an hour..

What speakers do you have in it? The Celestion Black Shadows have always sounded tinny to me until broken in.

According to the Celestion website this is how you should break them in:

Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time.

t0aj15 said:
According to the Celestion website this is how you should break them in:

Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time.

Perfect description.

I can say when I got my 2x12 it sounded buzzy and tinny to me also. I have been doing what Celestion recommends for speaker break in. It's been a month and sounds much better.

Latest posts

Back