Boogie Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomad

Reaction score
Well guys some of you saw me come on here and ask questions about which Boogie to get then you saw me struggle after Purchasing my Blue Stripe to get all the tones I needed to do my thang.

I went down to my Studio last night to do some playing and came back up a couple hours later just in extreme pleasure of the different tones I'm getting with this thing.

Words can not describe the kind of Gorgeous Cleans, Chunky Crunches, and Sustain for days Solo Tones I'm getting out of this thing.

I told my Wife last night it dont mean anything in the whole scheme of things but my God I'm getting great Tones!

if it's a combo, just wait to had a Thiele to it..:)..EVEN better..:)

Hey Greg,

So glad you found YOUR tone in there! Sometimes the struggle makes the results that much sweeter! Even when I am just practicing or noodling on my III, I end up playing longer than I expected or planned on. The overall tone, dynamics, and versatility just melt time.

BTW, thanks again for that EVM ...she's working great alongside my thiele. Killer tone and wonderful marriage of the two voices, thanks!

Edward

Yes I bet that would sound good though may make it louder than I need. At rehersal I've been playing with the Master on 2 and when no ones looking I prefer it on 3. With another cab they gonna be looking at me funny.

I do realise how much better these things sound through a cab instead of the small combo but I'm quite happy with the sounds I'm getting just out of the Combo Cab.

edward said:
Hey Greg,

So glad you found YOUR tone in there! Sometimes the struggle makes the results that much sweeter!

BTW, thanks again for that EVM ...she's working great alongside my thiele. Killer tone and wonderful marriage of the two voices, thanks!

Edward

No Problem Edward Glad your liking the EVM!

I had posted a Thread like this once before but I just had to say it again. These things RAWK!!

I really just cant believe how good this thing is sounding especially with all my Teles!

I found it's not realy louder, but as more "bottom" if you will..:)

You know - I've heard all kinds of complaints about the cleans on the Mk III. But I'm LOVING mine. I used to have a DR - no cleans to speak of - at least not if you wanted to match the volume with the other 2 channels. I ended up building a clean amp! Which meant carting around a rack and TWO amps to every gig! Now, I only need one amp! I'm reconfiguring my whole rig because I can balance the 3 channels (modes) of my Mk III! Including a clean that will bite if I dig in or sparkle if I back off! Yesterday I hit it with a TubeWorks RT-921 Real Tube Reverb, Echoplex EP-3, and T.C. Electronic SCF - stunning. Pure Johnson-esque tone for DAYS!!!

Nomad said:
Words can not describe the kind of Gorgeous Cleans, Chunky Crunches, and Sustain for days Solo Tones I'm getting out of this thing.

I knew if you played with the III enough you would come around on the R2. At the outset you were opposed to it, but now you see how chunky it is. last night I was perfectly dialed in to AC/DC Marshall tones and you would be hard pressed to find the difference from the two. (not the playing just the tone) I also find it easy to switch between R and Lead with no tweaking if the preamp is over 7.

I just love my Mark III. I had the same experience as you did last night every night for the past year plus.

Check out the boys.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_EhT84ydfT8w/SAc_nP_8fRI/AAAAAAAAAB4/vHBMz1FsBlo/s1600-h/DSCN1428.JPG

Just an offhand thought since it was raised here: Boogies are "known" by and large for their lead tones and saturated, sustaining OD. And this definitely applies to my experience with my MKIII. But what is so often overlooked by many, especially those who don't own Boogsin IMHO, are the stunning cleans this amp offers. I've played old Fenders, and currently own one (that I love and can't part with), so I know "clean." But my MKIII's R1 is so rich, full, and chimey that there are many instances that I never even hit the R3 at all ...just revelling in the gorgeous sparkle that is R1. This is a departure from my beloved DC5, whose clean is great, but always borders on just bit of grit around the edges (which I love), and just falls short of "huge" bottom. For spanky chime and huge bell tones, the MKIII IS ths stuff! Sorry for the gushing here ...but I just had to join in the lovefest.

Edward

carlosasi said:
Nomad said:

I knew if you played with the III enough you would come around on the R2. At the outset you were opposed to it, but now you see how chunky it is. last night I was perfectly dialed in to AC/DC Marshall tones and you would be hard pressed to find the difference from the two. (not the playing just the tone) I also find it easy to switch between R and Lead with no tweaking if the preamp is over 7.

I just love my Mark III. I had the same experience as you did last night every night for the past year plus.

Check out the boys.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_EhT84ydfT8w/SAc_nP_8fRI/AAAAAAAAAB4/vHBMz1FsBlo/s1600-h/DSCN1428.JPG

Uh oh you thought you had me didnt ya? :lol:

I'm still not using R2. Here is my trouble with R2.

I have the amp set as follows.

Bass Shift pulled and thats it on that. R1 Pre Volume 7, Trebile 3, Middle 5, Bass 4, Lead Pre Volume 5, Lead Master 6, Presence 2, and Reverb 3.

Graphic EQ set for on all the time set at a smiley face Bass Bossted, Mids about Flat, and Highs Bossted (less than Bass).

With the amp set that way I'm using R1, Clean and with two different Pedals and Lead set as a Crunch Channel and using the same two pedals for more gain Dirty Tones. I'm using an OCD set for some sho nuff Overdrive and a Timmy set purely as a Clean Bosst.

Allright now here is my problem with R2 with the amp set as it is. Now please rember I'm using only Telecasters made out of Swamp Ash with vintage style pickups (if you know what that sounds like). Back to problem - R2 when engaged off of R1 dosnt have enuff Bottom and fullness and isnt loud enuff. It does Mildly add more Gain to the Lead Channel (which I dont need).

Because of your reply I will investigate further. Its almost like I need a Bass Boost with R2 and some more Gain but I'm allready using the GEQ all the time.

Now back to my original post - I'm absolutely loving the tones coming out of this Amp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not using R2 isnt giving me a problem.

That's exactly the problem I have with R2 on my green stripe. It's thin and feels like it has too much gain even though it's too quiet compared to the other two channels.

On my purple stripe I really like R2, it's this crazy big, full, boomy thing that's really sensitive to pick attack and the guitar's volume, it's more like an old Fender. I was almost getting Neil Young type of sounds out of it. However, it's not really that good for straight ahead rock rhythm, and it sure don't sound like no Marshall.

However, R1's way better on my green stripe. I can't even use R1 on the purple because it's so much quieter than the other channels.

Ok..newbie question here...what's with the R1, R2 etc etc?...what is that?

On a Mark III there are three channels all of which are footswitchable.

Channel 1 is R1 Clean

Channel 2 is R2 Crunch

Channel 3 is the Lead Channel

R1 Has Pre and Master volume controls.

R2 goes through R1 and is a gain boost. To alter its volumes you must use R1 controls (there are no additional controls for R2). Its a non adjustable gain boost.

Lead Channel adds cascaded gain stages into R1 but has a seperate Lead Drive control and Lead Master control though the R1 Pre Volume and Master are still hooked up. In other words the signal goes through R1 Pre volume first then into Lead Drive then into Lead Master then into R1 Master.

It sounds more complicated than it is.

The Trebile, Middle, Bass, Presence, and Reverb Controls are all shared by R1, R2, and Lead.

Some units have a 5 Band Graphic EQ which can be used all the time, or footswitchable, or in Auto which makes it come on on the Lead Channel only.

The Reverb is footswitchable also.

These amps are really quite simple by todays standards but when they came out there wasnt anything else like it available to the Public. There are a few of us Tone Junkies that absolutely swear by em. :lol:

Well not normally but in Boogie Mark III Land it does.

R = Rythem

So

Rythem 1 = Clean Channel

Rythem 2 = Crunch Channel

Lead = Lead Channel

I believe IIRC we started refering to the R's because Boogie called the Gain Boost on the Clean Channel R2.

I'd have to see a copy of the original Mark III manual but I believe it was

Clean Channel
R2
Lead Channel.

Well..wathever it's called.....the MarkIII is the last amp for me..:)

Yeah I make it sound awfully complicated. :lol:

It is quite simple.

The Mark III is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Yes dem Cleans are quite good. I cant tell you how many folks through the years have made blanket statements to me that the cleans of the Mark's suck.

They were definately smoking the good stuff. :shock:

My Blues Cleans are unreal as well. 8)

With all this MkIII love I guess I'll have to jump into the whirlpool.

Yes, yes, and an absolute resounding yes, to everything said in the past, present, and future about the greatness of the almighty MkIII!

Yup, one VERY happy blue-stripe owner here.

Latest posts

Back