Boogie Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gts said:
Nomad said:
Yes dem Cleans are quite good. I cant tell you how many folks through the years have made blanket statements to me that the cleans of the Mark's suck.

They were definately smoking the good stuff. :shock:
I always thought the good stuff made them go "OOOOOO, AHHHHH" about everything.
If it was "that sucked" ;-) maybe they were smoking the bad stuff! :)

OK I should have said got a hold of some bad stuff. :lol:

"On my purple stripe I really like R2, it's this crazy big, full, boomy thing that's really sensitive to pick attack and the guitar's volume, it's more like an old Fender. I was almost getting Neil Young type of sounds out of it. However, it's not really that good for straight ahead rock rhythm, and it sure don't sound like no Marshall."

I had the R2 volume mod done on my Purple Stripe Mark 3, and not only does R2 sound great, I'm able to use all 3 channels without volume issues. With my Les Paul Custom, the R2 channel is really FAT and warm sounding, and only gets better at higher volume. Wish I had figured all this out 10 years ago when I was gigging with it. :lol:

Yeah, my purple had some mod done on it... I think someone did the R2 volume mod wrong and ended up with an R2 drive mod. From the looks of it the head had several mods done and then undone in the past.

I just leave it on 9.5 and it sounds great. R1 is too quiet so I just use R2 as my clean channel and back off the volume and don't pick as hard if I want clean.

Now that I have actually done a couple rehearsals in a couple acts with both amps, there really is a difference between the purple and green stripes. The green's lead is higher-gain and smoother, I was trying to get sort of a clangy, mid-breakup tone out of it yesterday at rehearsal and couldn't do it, it just sounds too smooth and saturated.

Basically I have one gig that's more or less "metal" tones (cleans and high-gain rhythm, not much in between) and one that needs really touch-sensitive clean-to-mild-breakup because it's somewhere between Dave Matthews and Wilco. However, I can use the green for the metal and the purple for the calmer stuff :D

Cool post from someone that has more than one.

I can see how my Blue Stripe might could use the R2 mod to make it work for me a little better but I dont need it. I'm getting all the juice out of this thing now. :D

Latest posts

Back