Bogner vs Mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the Bogner site..impressive list of artists...and surprise, surprise...keeping in line with EVERY major manufacturer of EVERY piece of equipment ever made....Steve Vai is listed :roll:

I'll be honest...I didn't hear any tones that were not "getable" from a Mesa in the sound clips section....Does seem like a nice amp though.

dual rec said:
Coheed uses them too. I have heard they are good. But what does that mean to anybody. Just like you said screaming daisy, it is whoever big is using that amp or that gear. When everyone knows Metallica is using Kranks in the studio people will go crazy for them.

A buddy of mine went amp shopping with his other guitarist, here's a quote from the thread;

First one was the Uberschall. **** what a HUGE dissapointment, Bogner should have called this the BLUBBERMEISTER. So very muddy, it had way too much low end and stuff. Tonewise it was way too nu-metalish.

FWIW.....they're death metal guitarists that like uber-tight amps....so take their opinion for what it's worth.

but at the same time, i have friend in a sick metal band that uses an uber and it sounds amazing. as with any high-gain amp, if you crank up the gain and bass to 10, of course it's going to sound muddy. my engl is the tightest sounding amp i've ever played through...but i can still make it sound like mud if i wanted to. my buddy only turns the gain up to about 6 on his uber and it has as much gain as a recto on 8 or 9. as you mesa owners know, it takes a long time playing with a high end amp to get the sounds you're looking for because every amp reacts differently to the eq settings. i had my mark iv for about a month before i found the settings that i ended up using most of the time. going into a store a just plugging in for a few minutes won't give you a good impression of the amp.

i'm not busting on the rectos...i've had two of them. they're great amps. but comparing a recto to an uberschall or an ecstasy is like comparing an Audi to a Porsche.

Went to the Bogner site..impressive list of artists...and surprise, surprise...keeping in line with EVERY major manufacturer of EVERY piece of equipment ever made....Steve Vai is listed

vai has been using bogners live and in the studio for years.

Nitrobattery said:
i'm not busting on the rectos...i've had two of them. they're great amps. but comparing a recto to an uberschall or an ecstasy is like comparing an Audi to a Porsche.

Comparing a Recto to an Ecstasy is like comparing an Audi to a Porsche.

Comparing a Recto to an Ubershall is like comparing an Audi to an Audi with a different muffler on it. Lets face it, the Ubershall is hardly Bogners high point in amp design, nor is it's tone significatly better or worse than the Rectifier in the opinions of many who've used it.

Using the gain 10, bass 10, needs forever to tweek the EQ excuse on a Mesa forum is just plain silly. If anyone understands that concept, it's the people on a Mesa forum.

Lastly, just because this guy playes death metal doesn't mean he's an idiot who can't figure out how to operate a bass knob. A guy who rocks and loves an ENGL SE isn't likely to like the bottom end of an Ubershall, even with the bass knob on zero.

Nitro...I'm not doubting that..it just seems funny when looking at lists of endorsers for various equipment, certain names keep popping up regardless of whether the info is current or not...and in the case of Vai, he no longer uses the Bogners...

BTW - you haven't posted any clips recently....I remember being very impressed by something you posted about a year ago....

Nitrobattery said:
Went to the Bogner site..impressive list of artists...and surprise, surprise...keeping in line with EVERY major manufacturer of EVERY piece of equipment ever made....Steve Vai is listed

vai has been using bogners live and in the studio for years.

While I love Vai and what he does, he's a gear ***** that will play anything with the right deal attached to it. Same as Lynch...

I have one friend that is the endorsement rep for a major guitar company which has EVERYONE on their roster and I hear tons of stories on this issue. You can't go with what the companies list as "endorsers" unless they have a sig model they're representing...it's just not accurate.

weezer used line 6 pod 2.0's for a while in their live setup... they said they sounded better than their marshall half stacks... hahah

I recently played through a Bogner Shiva.
Wow.
Holy Wow.
Instant tone gratification.

I've been pretty intrigued by the THD Flexi 50 lately. I frequent a board that hosts 'FNJ's' (Friday night Jams)....basically backtracks posted for everybody to jam to.
There's a guy there who runs a Flexi 50, and it sounds amazing (plus he doesn't suck). Very fluid lead tones.
Here's a link to one of them. Hit the link, and scroll down to the 3rd post (Ironsheep). Check out his first take.

http://146.145.5.218/board/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=000151

I love that fluid sound.

Edit...he also has an Uber. Don't hear much from it anymore.

I've been using a Bogner Shiva for the last 5 years or so. I gig and record regularly and the Shiva delivers the goods every time. I just sold my last one because I want to see what else is out there and I don't have the funds to own them all at once. Right now I am thinking of a nice Mesa of some sort, maybe a Mark IV or ?? but I know that I will definitely buy another Shiva down the road when funds permit. The quality of tone from these amps is just incredibly sweet. FWIW, I have played the Uber and it was too much buzz for me. I also have playeda few DR's in stores and did not care for those either so who knows? Tone is in the ear of the beholder ;)

So i am going to give everyone my input on this, first of all know i have owned alot of mesa's, from the dual, to the tremo, 3 channels, 2 channels, rackmounts and even the roadking, DC5, triaxis with 290 Power amp and the stiletto.

I currently own the following.
Mesa 2 channel R0005
Bogner Uber (older version, i think second revision)
Bogner XTC 101B with all options.

So first for the people that were trying to compare a XTC to a recto, well there is no comparison, they are in two different ball parks. The XTC will bring you up to the orange channel on a recto, but not as brutal.

The XTC is a great amp, so many options, you can get so many sounds, and it is a killer amp, anyone that says differently has not played with it long enough and is truly tone deaf.

This amp will sing for you if you asked it, i find it works better with Celestion 75's, however it also sounds great with V30's. This is truly the best hot rodded marshall out there, going anywhere from plexi all the way up the orange channel on a recto but smoother.

Between the boost option, A/AB option, half power etc.. this amp just smokes. The boost option by the way is not like mesa's solo, the boost option actually boosts the gain.

I could go on about this amp, but my musical styles latley is more of a rock hard rock so that is why i am in love with it.

As to the Uber vs the recto, let me say the uber is tighter then a recto will ever be, flat out. If someone said it was flubby they probaly played one that was not biased right, yes ubers do need to be biased and one of the things i love about it.

Now like the big misconception with Recto's, there is also a misconception with the Ubers, first the middle and presense controls are reversed, so you have to learn how to EQ it right. But once you do, holy cow does this amp sound great, and i can get **** close to a recto sound with it. But it is not just a new metal amp, it can do anything if you learn how to EQ it right.

Here are the differences between the Recto and the Uber, first the recto has more base but it is flubbier, however the uber has more gain and is smoother. The recto distortion is just brutal, where the uber is more refined but heavy as hell. The uber also has more clarity, you can hear notes better with it. The only recto that has come close to note clarity is the R0005 one i purchased, but the uber is still tighter.

I hate to say it but if i had to choose between the two, the uber would win hands down. However if i need a brutal amp then i would keep the recto. Build quality, they are both awesome, of course the Uber is more, but i picked up a nice mint condition one for $1800 shipped.

I've been through so many amps and besides my own line of amps I keep coming back to the recto for my multi channel needs.

Brentsp:

This is what I think of you taste of guitar amplification:
29_3_3.gif

Brentsp said:
RR said:
Brentsp:

29_3_3.gif

Thanks bro!
Those amps are all the Big Hitters of high gain / channel switching amps. Boy, your comparison and contrasting would be envaluable for us since you have them all. Then include the Aiken, Roccaforte ...

RR said:
Brentsp said:
RR said:
Brentsp:

29_3_3.gif

Thanks bro!
Those amps are all the Big Hitters of high gain / channel switching amps. Boy, your comparison and contrasting would be envaluable for us since you have them all. Then include the Aiken, Roccaforte ...

Well as everyone knows tone is so subjective so I can only give my brief opinion.

When it comes to a "do it all and do it all really good" amps, the Recto line is very hard to beat. The recto is one of the most finicky amps I've ever owned but I have to say it is rewarding if you match the amp up right.

I finally got to play a Diezel Herbert just recently and while its really nice I don't think its the "be all end all".

The Uberschall is a killer sounding amp for modern tones. It can do a half assed classic/vintage tone but theres other amps better for that like the XTC or Shiva.

Randall Aiken is a personal friend of mine and does an outstanding job of building/designing amps. His Aiken Sabre is an amazing modded marshall/Fender Super Reverb amp (minus the reverb).

......man I can go on all day but its 5pm here and time to go home! :wink:

Thanks Brentsp, I didn't mean to describe each amp. But it like if someone asked: "Contrast the difference between a Dual Rectifier and a Soldano SLO." I know you would have your decription between the two. (Don't have to answer that question).

Uh, so no modeling amp among your collection?
36_11_6.gif

RR said:
Uh, so no modeling amp among your collection?
36_11_6.gif

What's left to model?? lol, he's got all the real ones right there haha. Amazing amp line up bud, hope to get there one day.....

-AJH

Back