Blue Angel 410

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flakedflatop

Reaction score
Hi all I have just purchased a blue angel 410 #BA000346
I'm in Australia and it runs on 240volts. I was wondering if anyone on here
Could help me out, the black vinyl is not in the best of condition
And it's missing the Mesa badge from the front and 1 knob is also missing,
So I've decided that I want recover the amp, so I'm going to be doing it
In crocodile skin, I was wondering if anyone knew how much of it I would
Need to do the job done, also if anyone has the bits that I'm missing, also
If anyone knows where I can get the speaker grille cloth, it's like a tan color.
I can't get it direct from Mesa as I have tried and they tell me to contact
My local Mesa distributor , and they are like 5 times the price of what you guys would
Pay in the US, so if anyone can help out, I would really appreciate it...
Thanks...
Jason...

flakedflatop said:
If anyone knows where I can get the speaker grille cloth, it's like a tan color.
My local Mesa distributor , and they are like 5 times the price of what you guys would
Thanks...
Jason...
Here are some pics of my new angel..

http://imageshack.us/photo/photo/545/8gmm.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/photo/209/f5ym.jpg/

flakedflatop said:
flakedflatop said:
Thanks...
Jason...
Here are some pics of my new angel..
Having a hard time posting pics sorry

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/8408/8gmm.jpg

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/8408/8gmm.jpg

Mate, I'm really jealous of yous. I'm also very keen on getting a Blue Angel for some time. Whereabouts are you at mate???

PS: I won't go looking for yous to steal her off ya... :lol:

Hi all
Just wanting a second opinion, see what you all
Think, I just got this blue angel recently, and really
Love it, the only downfall is that it's a single channel
Amp, so if I want to drive it I have to physically have to turn
The volume up, so I was thinking of getting a v twin
Pre amp pedal, so that will give me a couple extra channels
To switch. What do you all think, good idea ? Also are they good pedals, and is there anyone on here
Looking at selling theirs....?
Thanks in advance for any input...
Jay ....

Regarding the covering, you may want to try some black shoe polish as a first step. Try it somewhere inconspicuous first, and if you like the results, finish off the rest of the cabinet.

With respect to the lack of a master volume (which would have been wonderful), I recently bought a Weber Mass Lite attenuator for my Blue Angel 2x10. It works very well, but I need to spend some more time with it -- haven't been able to get a really nice tone yet. In hindsight, I think it may have been a better idea to go with an overdrive pedal because a pedal gives you the equivalent of two footswitchable channels whereas the attenuator does not (if you bypass the attenuator, you have to manually dial back the volume on the amp). I haven't given up on the attenuator yet, but I think a pedal would be more flexible.

green_henry said:
Regarding the covering, you may want to try some black shoe polish as a first step. Try it somewhere inconspicuous first, and if you like the results, finish off the rest of the cabinet.

With respect to the lack of a master volume (which would have been wonderful), I recently bought a Weber Mass Lite attenuator for my Blue Angel 2x10. It works very well, but I need to spend some more time with it -- haven't been able to get a really nice tone yet. In hindsight, I think it may have been a better idea to go with an overdrive pedal because a pedal gives you the equivalent of two footswitchable channels whereas the attenuator does not (if you bypass the attenuator, you have to manually dial back the volume on the amp). I haven't given up on the attenuator yet, but I think a pedal would be more flexible.

Thanks for the input, I looked into an attenuator and was going to
Get one, but it still leaves you with just one channel, so if you want to go from a clean
To an overdrive you can't , or if you want to go to a solo channel you can't,
That's why I thought of getting a v twin.
Regarding the shoe polish, sounds good , but won't it come off like on your pants when you go and pick up the amp , cause mine is a 410 and it's heavy, so I lean it on my leg when I carry it.
Just worried I'm going to get black polish on my pants...
Regarding the amp, I really love it, I have an early dual rec
And love that also, but this I a whole different beast.
When I plug my modded tele into it, for some reason
Hours go by....I'm going to rename it the time machine.. Lol..
Anyway thanks again for you input, is there anyone else that can
Give me some pros and cons on the v twin and if
This would suit what I want to do ...
Thanks...
Jay...

This amp is more of a turn it up until it's just breaking up, then using your guitar volume to clean it up by turning the guitar volume down...

P.S. Weber recommends setting the tone controls to 12 o'clock before dialing in the attenuator (no instructions were shipped with the unit, but they're on the website). I found this very counter-intuitive (because I never play any of my amps that way), but I'll be darned if it didn't make an amazing difference :? . The amp sounds great through the MASS lite now; I'm very happy with the tone :D. That said, it's still a single-channel solution.

I know this isn't an exact match, but:
Google "DAVIES 1550AG Pointer Knob".
Should get you in the ballpark.

Hey! Fellow BA owner here. (112 combo) I have read that attenuators are bad for this amp..can't site any threads, but I hear its really hard on the output tranny. You could also change some of the preamp tubes as well to hit your power tubes a little harder. That said, if you are looking for reliable true-bypass pedals, I use Barber Electronics pedals. The LTD for mild break-up and the Direct Drive for over the top heavier stuff. Combined..they are a thing of beauty. :D PS. They have been on my board trouble-free for many years and many gigs..Just my .02

Casper said:
Hey! Fellow BA owner here. (112 combo) I have read that attenuators are bad for this amp..can't site any threads, but I hear its really hard on the output tranny. You could also change some of the preamp tubes as well to hit your power tubes a little harder. That said, if you are looking for reliable true-bypass pedals, I use Barber Electronics pedals. The LTD for mild break-up and the Direct Drive for over the top heavier stuff. Combined..they are a thing of beauty. :D PS. They have been on my board trouble-free for many years and many gigs..Just my .02

I think you're referring to this thread: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=48817

One of the responders mentioned that the Weber approach to attenuation probably wouldn't cause the same symptoms, and I think he's correct -- no weird issues (yet). So, I'm happy for now, but I can see a Flux Drive in my future.

Oh good! Glad to hear that's doing its thing! I had toyed with a THD hotplate when I had my DC 5 years ago..just never got around to it and ended up selling the amp. I LOVE my BA and am experimenting with preamp tube cocktails at the moment..going to get expensive! I love the Weber company! Got a Blue Dog in my PV C-30..best thing I ever did for that amp. I had the Flux drive, a little too harsh for me, but that's why they make salt & pepper. Let us know your results! Good luck!

if you can get an old v1 bottle rocket pedal I think they sound awesome with the BA.

Latest posts

Back