Anyone have some playing time with both 6L6 and EL34's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi guys, i know this is quite an old thread, but as the time went by, how many of you did really stick to el34s in your mk5 not comming back to the good old 6L6s?

I am really thinking of getting a quad of SED EL34s and pop them in. My issue is the following- i play a 7 string guitar tuned to B standard. The bottom end is quite boomy and the top end tends to be shrilly.. When I back up the bass on the GEQ, the sound get too narrow.. when I back the treble/presence down I loose definition, but when I keep those on higher settings, I've got the definition I need but a harsh top end as well..

When using EL34s, do you think your sound got less harsh but still defined? I'm using mostly ch2 crunch and ch3 mk4/extreme.. does it sound broader and growlier with EL34s than whilst using a quad of 6L6s?
My idea is that due to the extended low end on my guitar, I might not need all the low end which is being produced by 6L6 tubes and might get more interesting harmonical overtones and vibes when using EL34..
My only concern would be the note definition. I know the only way is to go check it out for myself, but I'd like to get some theory first.. I've never ever used an amp with ELs in it comming from the 5150, MK4 territory..

Oh and I've found some contradictory opinions on the EL34s here when browsing the forum for more insights. Most of the guys say it smooths out your tone combing away higher frequencies and others say, on the opposite, that it crunches better on ch2/ch3.
thx..

K-Roll said:
Oh and I've found some contradictory opinions on the EL34s here when browsing the forum for more insights. Most of the guys say it smooths out your tone combing away higher frequencies and others say, on the opposite, that it crunches better on ch2/ch3.
thx..

It does both.

6L6s have more high end detail... EL34s round it off a bit and bump up the midrange.

On the other hand, EL34s have more crunch/grind in the midrange whereas the 6L6s tend to thump and give a deeper chug when palm muting.

With regards to the harsh top end, trying reversing the 6600 and 2200 sliders... ie, assuming that you have your EQ set to some sort of V shape set the 2200Hz slider so that it's higher than the 6600Hz. This will add punch and definition without the scratchy top end.

To answer your question, I switch between 6L6 and EL34s depending on my mood. However, I generally prefer 6L6s unless I'm going for more of an old school grinding tone.

file.jpg

JOEY B. said:
Bias Rite readings:

Plate Voltage: 450-full power , 370-Variac Power

Current Draw:

all STR-440's 6L6 - Outer sockets 30-32mA
Inner sockets 36mA

with 6L6 and EL-34 blend and 6L6 bias setting -

Outer sockets 30-32 mA
Inner sockets 10 mA

with all STR-450 EL-34's , EL-34 bias setting

Outer sockets 43 mA
Inner sockets 53 mA

with GT EL-34M #4 rating, EL-34 bias setting

Outer sockets 38 mA
Inner sockets 43 mA

The low corrent draw with the "blend" in the 6L6 bias setting will not hurt your amp, but it is a long way from optimal sound for the EL-34's. The plate voltage is lower and the bias for the hotter sockets is cooler than my C+ (that same setup will pull double the current with these STR-450's) SO, my viewpoint is that if you want to try the blend (in 45 or 90 watt mode), then give it a shot. You might like what you hear. If someone would just kick Groove Tubes in their ***, and get them to start making the 6CA7-GE again, this controversy would become null and void 8) . We played the MkV with a set of MESA branded Sylvania 6CA7's , and it was my favorite power tube combination thus far. If they just weren't so rare and expensive :evil: . Some photographic evidence for your pleasure.

DSC04655.jpg

DSC04661.jpg

DSC04657.jpg

DSC04659.jpg

Hello, I know this happened long ago, I own a Mark V and I'd like to give this a try... did you record a sound test when you did this? the sound test is still available? output transformer of the Mark V survived? I'm particularly interested in the 6L6 / EL34 blend that can be used in the Mark IV without damage the amp... Thanks

Apparently you can mix el34's and 6l6's in the Mark V but only in 90 and 45 watt modes. If you switch it to 10 watts you let the smoke out.

The el84s rock the dirty channel. If you're a gain junky like me, go with el84s. If your more a channel 1 orv2 guy, stick with the 6s. Simple explanation, but holds true 100%. Hope that helps a bit

Hypnotoad696 said:
The el84s rock the dirty channel. If you're a gain junky like me, go with el84s. If your more a channel 1 orv2 guy, stick with the 6s. Simple explanation, but holds true 100%. Hope that helps a bit

I'm not a gain junky, but I still prefer the EL34s. They work great with Tweed mode on channel one, as well as sounding better to me on two and three.

Of course, I'll probably swap the 6L6s back in next week and like THEM better... :lol:

I am a classic rock and blues guy. I tried EL34's in my Mark Five and *really* I like it - Then again I have no need for Fender cleans. Then I swapped in a Mesa Vintage 30 for the MC-90 and man oh man to me this is a fantastic amp. With my Les Paul I can get Dickey Betts pushed "cleans", Marshally crunch, and Boogie high gain. Just perfect.

I prefer the EL 34's simply to knock the highs down a bit across the board. Works great and seems to introduce a secondary crystal like harmonic particularly in the clean or fat mode of channel 1. The "problem" with the highs being shrilly sounding is across all of my guitars with the 6L6's but I am able to better manage them with the EL-34's. And, as others in this thread have eluded to, I play a lot of older 70's/80's rock stuff and the 34's just play into that genre better than the 6L6's for me.

MK V
Les Paul, Strat, Peavey Wolfgang... and very few pedals (don't need them with a Boogie :))

Latest posts

Back