Anyone have some playing time with both 6L6 and EL34's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JOEY B. said:
rabies said:
So the EL34 readings above for 4xEL34 are "hot-biased" (over 60-70% MPD) according to the EL34 table here: http://www.webervst.com/tubes1/calcbias.htm

No more cold-biased complaints like I had with the class A sockets with EL34's in the Mark IV (8-10ma readings IIRC).

Not once you "throw the switch" on the back of the MkV. 8) The measurements were taken with the diode rectifier, the tube rectifier will lower the current draw a little bit.

that's still good for me! I'll need to check out the Mark V with EL34's one of these days...

Will a store allow you to demo with 4xEL34s???

JOEY B. said:
rabies said:
Will a store allow you to demo with 4xEL34s???

I guess it depends on how bad they need to sell it. :eek: If they are a MESA dealer, then they should have a qual of EL-34's on hand, right?

IIRC I asked mesa hollywood about this a while back and they basically said no.

phyrexia said:
Supreeth said:
Combining EL-34 and 6L6 tubes is not possible (or not recommended) in the Mark V in either bias setting. I took my Mark V to Bob from eurotubes and we measured the voltage and current draw from both the inner and outer sockets. The 6L6 and EL34 combo would definitely push things over the top. I don't recall the exact numbers Bob recorded but unfortunately it looks like combining 6L6 and EL34 tubes would hurt the amp in the long run.

cheers,
Supreeth

In what way would it "push things over the top"?

Phyrexia, I used the phrase in a generic way. I'm no expert at understanding what different measured values at the sockets mean, but I'm guessing that the grades of tubes (in terms of how hot or cold they run) that we were trying out were not a perfect match for the current/voltage from the tube sockets. At least that's the way I took it. Maybe others will have different opinion. I'm not an electronics expert by any means and go by the recommendations/advice of folks who've been doing this for decades.

cheers,
Supreeth

Concerning the similarity of the EL-84 and EL-34 tubes.......I'm kind of not in agreement with the previous evaluation. I find these tubes to be significantly different. I tried and tried and tried to like the EL-34 tube amps, (mesa, suhr, rivera, and on) but I just couldn't get there. Descriptions of the difference at this point would be difficult. The EL-34's seem darker and thick, whereas the EL-84's seem crystal, smooth, and break-up wonderfully. I love the EL-84 tubes and want to convert my Mark V to EL-84's...........comments? possible? :roll:

hippdogs said:
Concerning the similarity of the EL-84 and EL-34 tubes.......I'm kind of not in agreement with the previous evaluation. I find these tubes to be significantly different. I tried and tried and tried to like the EL-34 tube amps, (mesa, suhr, rivera, and on) but I just couldn't get there. Descriptions of the difference at this point would be difficult. The EL-34's seem darker and thick, whereas the EL-84's seem crystal, smooth, and break-up wonderfully. I love the EL-84 tubes and want to convert my Mark V to EL-84's...........comments? possible? :roll:
Yellow Jackets will get you there!

http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_yellowjacket.html

screamingdaisy said:
JOEY B. said:
with all STR-450 EL-34's

Outer sockets 43 mA
Inner sockets 53 mA

I wonder if that's why so many people seem feel that the Mark V comes alive with EL34s?

But it's unclear whether that's with the bias switch on 6L6 or EL34, unless I just didn't see it... Did you guys do tests with the bias switch on EL34?

SBG200 said:
screamingdaisy said:
JOEY B. said:
with all STR-450 EL-34's

Outer sockets 43 mA
Inner sockets 53 mA

I wonder if that's why so many people seem feel that the Mark V comes alive with EL34s?

But it's unclear whether that's with the bias switch on 6L6 or EL34, unless I just didn't see it... Did you guys do tests with the bias switch on EL34?

The bias switch MUST be on the 6L6 setting, otherwise the 6L6's would go into a meltdown state with the switch set to EL-34 mode. I still say there is a need to harass Groove Tubes(Fender) about the 6CA7-GE. It's not like they don't have the money and resources to make it happen. :evil:

SBG200 said:
JOEY B. said:
with all STR-450 EL-34's

Outer sockets 43 mA
Inner sockets 53 mA

JOEY B. said:
The bias switch MUST be on the 6L6 setting, otherwise the 6L6's would go into a meltdown state with the switch set to EL-34 mode. I still say there is a need to harass Groove Tubes(Fender) about the 6CA7-GE. It's not like they don't have the money and resources to make it happen. :evil:

Wait... What's the point of having an EL34 option on the bias switch if it'll melt down in that position with 4 EL34 tubes in it :?:

I'm referring to where you said you tested 4 EL34s. You did that in the 6L6 position??

I tried a set of e34l's and kt77's with mine and the 34's sounded best to me for high gain stuff but the 6l6 are better all around as mentioned...kt77's well nope didn't like it...

i just switched back to 6l6gc because the amp was soundign a little stale to my ears...no longer stale...lol gotta love having that option to switch back and forth.

SBG200 said:
SBG200 said:
JOEY B. said:
with all STR-450 EL-34's

Outer sockets 43 mA
Inner sockets 53 mA

JOEY B. said:

Wait... What's the point of having an EL34 option on the bias switch if it'll melt down in that position with 4 EL34 tubes in it :?:

I'm referring to where you said you tested 4 EL34s. You did that in the 6L6 position??

All EL-34's - switch set to EL-34
ALL 6L6's -switch set to 6L6
6L6 outer pair/EL-34 inner pair- switch set to 6L6

Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

JOEY B. said:

I thought it was obvious. Dude's been flipping out every time I posted your results on another forum 'cause you never spelled out that EL34 bias was used for EL34s and 6L6 bias was used for 6L6s....

I think I finally figured out why my garbage can says 'garbage', my hot coffee comes in a cup that has a 'Caution: Hot!' warning on it and my pen came wrapped in a wrapper that says 'not to be used as a contraceptive'.

screamingdaisy said:
JOEY B. said:

I thought it was obvious. Dude's been flipping out every time I posted your results on another forum 'cause you never spelled out that EL34 bias was used for EL34s and 6L6 bias was used for 6L6s....

I think I finally figured out why my garbage can says 'garbage', my hot coffee comes in a cup that has a 'Caution: Hot!' warning on it and my pen came wrapped in a wrapper that says 'not to be used as a contraceptive'.

What do you mean "every time"? It was once on TGP, unless you have me confused with someone else. If that's what you consider "flipping out" then you need to toughen up, kiddo.

They mentioned mixing the tubes and having it on 6L6, so with the bias being so uncharacteristically hot (for Mesa) with EL34s, it was completely conceivable that they tried them while set to 6L6. Just had to be sure. But go ahead and turn it into drama if you wish.

Actually, maybe you should just stick to TGP--with all their restrictions and net nannying, it's a much more accommodating place for thin-skinned drama queens. :lol:

SBG200 said:
They mentioned mixing the tubes and having it on 6L6, so with the bias being so uncharacteristically hot (for Mesa) with EL34s, it was completely conceivable that they tried them while set to 6L6. Just had to be sure.

For the record, if you were to put in all EL-34's and forget to switch the bias switch from 6L6 mode, the tubes would run super cold with no amp damage. On the other hand, if you switch back to 6L6 tubes and leave the bias switch on EL-34, the tubes would likely redplate very quickly with blown fuses, screen grid resistors, etc...... :cry:

SBG200 said:
screamingdaisy said:
JOEY B. said:

What do you mean "every time"? It was once on TGP, unless you have me confused with someone else. If that's what you consider "flipping out" then you need to toughen up, kiddo.

They mentioned mixing the tubes and having it on 6L6, so with the bias being so uncharacteristically hot (for Mesa) with EL34s, it was completely conceivable that they tried them while set to 6L6. Just had to be sure. But go ahead and turn it into drama if you wish.

Actually, maybe you should just stick to TGP--with all their restrictions and net nannying, it's a much more accommodating place for thin-skinned drama queens. :lol:

TGP may be used as a contraceptive. It's almost as effective as World of Warcraft.

So riddle me this.

I recently tried my STR-450's in my Mark V, and very quickly blew a tube. (glowing extremely bright then not at all). It took down my amp.
got it fixed, then tried some Winged C's.

played for a few minutes, and sound cut out.

another tube glowing bright.

took tubes to tube shop they said the amp blew all the tubes.

is my mark V set too high in EL34 mode, too hot and burning up the tubes?

or are the tubes too high, and i should choose colder tubes?

back to 6L6's for now tho...

cant afford new set again to try

mightywarlock said:
So riddle me this.

I recently tried my STR-450's in my Mark V, and very quickly blew a tube. (glowing extremely bright then not at all). It took down my amp.
got it fixed, then tried some Winged C's.

played for a few minutes, and sound cut out.

another tube glowing bright.

took tubes to tube shop they said the amp blew all the tubes.

is my mark V set too high in EL34 mode, too hot and burning up the tubes?

or are the tubes too high, and i should choose colder tubes?

back to 6L6's for now tho...

cant afford new set again to try

that totally sucks. anyways, Mesa wants you to use their tubes (otherwise the warranty is potentially void). But that should not keep happening. This is similar to what happened with my ex-Stiletto II Deuce that I eventually returned for a refund to Mesa hollywood.

you should not be forced into 6L6, that's unacceptable...

rabies said:
that totally sucks. anyways, Mesa wants you to use their tubes (otherwise the warranty is potentially void). But that should not keep happening. This is similar to what happened with my ex-Stiletto II Deuce that I eventually returned for a refund to Mesa hollywood.

you should not be forced into 6L6, that's unacceptable...

I agree, this is not acceptable. I would carry your amp to MESA Hollywood or Petaluma, and find out the root cause of this problem. If you buy the amp with the intention of running the EL-34's at some point, then the MESA branded tubes should not have any issues. Definately not that quickly, anyway. I run the MESA STR-442 (SED Winged =C=) EL-34's in my Electra Dyne Simulclass 45/90 watt power section without any issues. It is also biased very warm in the EL-34 mode compared to the older simulclass Mark series amps. 8)

Back