anyone got DIY thiele cab pics? plans?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JD said:
I used the same material for everything 16mm mdf
I put together the bracing and then built around it using srews and nails and no more gaps to help seal and secure it
the speaker that I used was a EVM 12L classic 200w from zzounds
rounded the edges with a router and used sound black bronco tolex
I took some pics if u want some I can send them to you

Yeah that'd be great, I'll pm you my email address.
I was thinking of using a Celestion G12K-100 speaker, but not sure yet.

FYI.I have found a company 20 miles from me that is making thiele cabinets according to EV specs-Booga Funk. They are offering them loaded with the EV classic or Zakk Wylde model and unloaded. They are selling some cabs on ebay before the actual release date. The unloaded cab is $230. Seems a bit high. Looks like they are put together well and in various colors. The item number on ebay is 270157737967.

I was goin' to attempt some dovetail joinery but, I think I'll go the easier route of good old-fashioned butt joints.
Thanks for that Jay, but I wanna take this project on, I just want to have it all clear in my head before I take a saw or a hammer to anything :D
BTW that's a fine retolex job there gts.
I'm gonna go with mdf, haven't settled on a speaker yet.

gts said:
Where you located? Are you going with the EV plans for the thiele or doing the wider Mesa sized thiele?

I'm in Ireland, gonna go with the EV plans.
I've had the plans for a couple of weeks now and I've all the measurements sorted[I think!!], just stuck for time now over the next few weeks.

gts said:
the problem is these cabs do not fit under mesa 1x12 combo amps (mark I-IV) or short head cabs as the EV plans are not as wide as Mesa thieles.

Hmmm, mine seems to fit perfect and I went by the EV specs.

I have a Mesa Mark III 1X12 combo. Perfect fit.

http://www.imusicscene.com/forum/download.php?id=6696&mode=view

what makes the theile cab so popular? is it the ports? i keep hearing that its great for palm mutes and getting a good bottom end.

:D If anyone needs good pix of a theile,I have one I am restoring stripped down to the wood.I can do measurments and write them on the box and take pix.Email me direct so I can email the pix to you.

Hi again, finally I'm getting around to start this project[EV TL806], but before I do a quick question.
As I said earlier in the thread, I decided to go with the Celestion G12K-100 Speaker 8 Ohm, anyone here ever use this combination of the cab and the G12K, or is it a bad idea???
Thanks for any input.

Expendable said:
Hi again, finally I'm getting around to start this project[EV TL806], but before I do a quick question.
As I said earlier in the thread, I decided to go with the Celestion G12K-100 Speaker 8 Ohm, anyone here ever use this combination of the cab and the G12K, or is it a bad idea???
Thanks for any input.

I'd like to offer some input. I just completed a "wide Body " Thiele cab using the EV plans, and I used no internal bracing at all. Just good rabbit joints for the box and a dado joint for the baffle. This thing will never fall apart. Ever! Now, speaking with a few members of the board on other posts ( See my previous WIDE BODY THEILE post ) They had mentioned that the bracing was a part of the tonal quality of the cab. I disagree. I am loading my theile with a EVM12L 300W that I should have received by now but havn't. So Impatiantly I removed the C90 from my combo and loaded it into the theile and fired it up. Holy Crap. The cabinet sounds awsome. way better than I hoped. I am also going to try some dampening material and A/B the tone, I am just going to wait for the EV speaker. Now keep in mind this cabinet is 22.5" wide and the same depth and height as the ev plans, just with a dummy wall in it. I am also going to stuff the empty chamber and A/B that tone. In the end, if you have the tools to cut the rabbit and dado joints, then forgo the bracing I don't think it is needed. That is just my opinion.

Hey Trickyrick,

I've been following the "wide body Thiele" thread and am
glad it worked out so well. Great job. I'd love to have one for my widebody combo.

You mentioned building some more of these...I'm very interested, can
I put my name on the list?

Thanks,
Jason

jski59 said:
Hey Trickyrick,

I've been following the "wide body Thiele" thread and am
glad it worked out so well. Great job. I'd love to have one for my widebody combo.

You mentioned building some more of these...I'm very interested, can
I put my name on the list?

Thanks,
Jason

Hey Jason, I returned your PM for your question.

guitardude05 said:
what makes the theile cab so popular? is it the ports? i keep hearing that its great for palm mutes and getting a good bottom end.

Mainly because it is a 1x12 that allows for good dispersion of sound and the porting allows the low end to get out into the room. There are good 1x12's now like Bogner and CAA but for a long time, Mesa Thieles were the best game in town. And basically, their popularity has not dwindled even though the competition is just as good now.

trickyrick said:
So Impatiantly I removed the C90 from my combo and loaded it into the theile and fired it up.
This is interesting.

My understanding is that the port dimensions of any cab built using the thiele-small principals are determined by the electroacoustic properties of the driver itself. That's where the name of Mesa or EVs cabs comes from, the formulae derived by Thiele and Small.

But having said that, i've seen a lot of people build 'generic' thiele cabs based on plans they found online, and just put a random speaker in there. Surely this is incorrectly tuned?

Even Mesa/Boogie, do they change the port dimensions for the C90 thieles versus the EV12M ones?

voodoo_child said:
trickyrick said:
So Impatiantly I removed the C90 from my combo and loaded it into the theile and fired it up.
This is interesting.

My understanding is that the port dimensions of any cab built using the thiele-small principals are determined by the electroacoustic properties of the driver itself. That's where the name of Mesa or EVs cabs comes from, the formulae derived by Thiele and Small.

But having said that, i've seen a lot of people build 'generic' thiele cabs based on plans they found online, and just put a random speaker in there. Surely this is incorrectly tuned?

Even Mesa/Boogie, do they change the port dimensions for the C90 thieles versus the EV12M ones?

That was my understanding too based on web literature I've read. And I had the same question concerning the Mesa Thieles.

Frank

dodger916 said:
voodoo_child said:
trickyrick said:
This is interesting.

That was my understanding too based on web literature I've read. And I had the same question concerning the Mesa Thieles.

Frank

Really what is the difference? If a cab is designed to a particular driver, who is to say that is the best driver for that cab? How many millions of times has someone replaced stock speakers with OEM speakers to discover a new world of tone. Perhaps not always better but different. I built a cab based on EV plans. I tried the C90 and thought it sounded great. I just installed an EVM12L 300w speaker that was pulled from a vintage boogie and it sounded better to me. That is not to say I didn't like the C90, but I could certainly hear the difference between the 2 speakers.

As far as my interpitation of the design of the cabinet I built, I don't know if it is perfectly tuned or not, but it is certainly pleasent to my ears. I don't have access to a mesa or other ev thiele to A/B them but in the end, I am pleased with the result a great deal and look forward to torturing my family with licks from " My guitar wants to kill your Mama "

trickyrick said:
Really what is the difference?
My understanding is that a well-tuned ported enclosure has an extended bass response versus one that is arbitrarily ported.

Prior to the work by Neville Thiele, getting the port dimensions to perfectly match the driver ('tuning' the cab) was pretty much trial and error, as two different drivers will have different electro-acoustic properties.

Mr Thiele simplified the design by coming up with measureable properties for a driver (now referred to as 'thiele-small' properties) and formulae which could be thus used to calculate ideal port dimensions.

I havent heard the difference between a thiele style cab that was 'properly' tuned versus one that had the wrong speaker in it, so I don't know exactly what kind of improvement/dis-improvement there is in the bass response. Maybe someone here could shed light on this?

trickyrick said:
Really what is the difference? If a cab is designed to a particular driver, who is to say that is the best driver for that cab?

Well, the guy who came up with the specs for that cab using that specific driver is the one to say. The cab, was designed, for that driver. Change the driver, change the performance and tone. Is it better or worse? Who knows? Tone is subjective. But it'll be a crap shoot.

I've sold one of the 2x12 cabs I've made. When I sell the second, I'm going to build two of these Thiele cabs. But I'm going to follow spec and use the RIGHT driver.

I have a ton of nice wood in my garage that I never used like, Cherry, Black Walnut, a block of 2 1/2" thick quilted maple and some other stuff I can't even remember. I'm planning to just shoot them with some nitrocellulose lacquer and buff the **** out of them.

I've got so much other crap to do though first it probably won't happen till the end of October.

CudBucket said:
trickyrick said:
Really what is the difference? If a cab is designed to a particular driver, who is to say that is the best driver for that cab?

Well, the guy who came up with the specs for that cab using that specific driver is the one to say. The cab, was designed, for that driver. Change the driver, change the performance and tone. Is it better or worse? Who knows? Tone is subjective. But it'll be a crap shoot.

I've sold one of the 2x12 cabs I've made. When I sell the second, I'm going to build two of these Thiele cabs. But I'm going to follow spec and use the RIGHT driver.

I have a ton of nice wood in my garage that I never used like, Cherry, Black Walnut, a block of 2 1/2" thick quilted maple and some other stuff I can't even remember. I'm planning to just shoot them with some nitrocellulose lacquer and buff the sh!t out of them.

I've got so much other crap to do though first it probably won't happen till the end of October.

I understand what you guy's are saying, but I think you are missing the point. Tone is subjective, therefore what sounds good to one may not sound as good to another. You guy's speak of magicaly engineering a cabinet to a particular driver, in this case and evm thiele. Yet, in the drawings the cabinet is designed to include a center port cover to reduce the amount of ported air flow which would certainly change the tone of the cabinet. The cab is designed specificaly with the port cleats recesed to allow this port cover to be installed and thus change the tone to suit the listener. I know of no other cabinet design like this, including Mesa's version of the Thiele. There ports are even with the baffle not allowing any mod to the cab. So if a cab is perfectly engineered for a specific driver, why add the means to change the tone? If it's perfect then it's perfect.

That's my point. Tone is subjective.

Back