First-time Thiele build

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevemgrimes

Reaction score
Hi all:

Getting ready to build my first Thiele cab for the EV I pulled from my old 2x12 cab I sold (the guy only wanted the cab - no speakers). I'm designing for a 19-1/2" wide head (JCA22H, when it comes out), and have read just about every related thread on this board looking for information. I'm probably way too anal about all this, but I've decided to strictly follow the TL806 specification rather than go with the trial-and-error approach - I figure those guys must have done something right...

What I did was model the bracing system and develop a box around it. Essentially, I'm planning to build interior walls that hold true to original spec with an outer skin to create the overall dimensions I want. I'm wondering about a few things, and would really appreciate some insight:

* If I have two thicknesses of 3/4 material actually connected on one of the sides, will there be a negative impact to the cab's resonance? I'm basically replicating the double wall on the right side of the cab in this post: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=277527#p277527, and doing a similar thing with the other side (there will be ~ 1/4" gap, making it similar to the "dummy" wall that Trickyrick developed).

* I really curious about internal volume. I've run some calculations on the basic 'shell', and am pretty confused. The TL806 (internal dimensions of 16-1/4 x 13 x 10-1/2) comes to ~1.28 cu. ft., which is very close, but how does all the internal bracing factor? Those pieces aren't insignificant (2" wide all around), and certainly would reduce the air volume.

* I also have a C90 from the original 2x12, and am planning a half-back cab using the same overall size, with back panel and baffle located in the same locations (obviously, the baffle will be full width). Are there any guidelines for internal sizing on an open back cab?

Much thanks in advance for any help. I'll be happy to post progress, if anyone is interested.

bookmarked!.. take some pictures of it too.. im also planning to build one this april and convert my mark iv combo into a headshell. :D

Did I maybe post this in the wrong forum? Or are the Thiele design debates over? :)

It may just be up to you and me, Vhyken!

Back