Another new Mesa amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man that sucks! I would seriously press MB for warranty repair. If you decide to keep it, you can probably get some help here in sorting out the issue, and I would be glad to help, realizing that not having the schematics can be a hindrance. Initially, particularly after your second go-around, it seems like a possible shorted output tube that is pulling down the bias circuit. At this point, your best bet might be to check the bias circuit for burnt resistors, with the amp off and unplugged from electricity. The circuit would be fairly easy to trace, starting at pin 2 of the output tubes and working back to the bias supply. After checking the circuit with no power applied to the amp, replacing any resistors if necessary, you can pull all output tubes and power on for further checks. At minimum you will also need all new output tubes, not knowing which tube might be possibly shorted, as it might not be the one that was red-plating.

I do get the normal full warranty on the amp, like even a buyer of a used one would. i just don't get the usual 6 month warranty on the tubes. Since it appears there is something wrong other than A tube, i should get the ok to take it in for a warranty repair. Waiting to hear back from MB now.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted out. Congrats on owning a few awesome Mesa/Boogie amps!

Bummer about the bad tube right off the bat...but we all know (or anyone that has purchased a new Mesa amp) that Mesa does not allow it's authorized retails to discount or negotiate pricing. The reason you got the amp so cheap is because GC is trying to unload all their left over Mesa equipment because they are no longer "authorized" Mesa dealers. I'd say shame on GC more than Mesa for not being up front about this, and if anything I'd try to get them to replace the bad tube. Either way I hope everything works out for you man!

Thanks for all the good wishes. I found this online on GC's web site. My local GC is stepping up big time. The GC I bought it from shipped it to my local store so they got credit for it, even though they weren't really involved. They had to do this because I needed to pay with Paypal and for some reason needed to go in in person to do so. So my guy I always deal with, and my GC got credit but all they really did was call me when it got there for me to pick up. But my local GC has always been good to me and they are again now.

First of all, there seems to be a warranty problem, not just a tube. There is something making that tube roast, because I smelled smoke again the next time I fired it up and the tube wasn't glowing or fizzing out yet. My local GC offered me tubes if that's all it was. But I am taking it to an authorized warranty repair center to have it checked. Second, they agreed to comp me for the missing footswitch and cable which the other GC said would be included.

I have played this thing twice since my initial tube glow experience. The vox and tweed modes sound extremely good! I don't play it for long though because I don't want to cause damage. I'm anxious to get it fixed so I can enjoy it to it's fullest. I'm dropping it off in the next day or two for repair.

Latest posts

Back