Another Mark V:25 vs V:35 thread

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neuroticindian

Reaction score
TLDR at the bottom -

So I've been researching buying a new amp quite a bit recently. I currently own a Marshall MG10KK that I bought about 10 years ago for a $100. It suited my needs to practice, and when I recorded I did it through a USB interface. I finally have some decent cash flow and decided I would spend it on a nice rig.

I haven't seen threads that were specifically concerning my needs - so I figured I would make one. Sorry if these questions have been answered somewhere else already!

Mark V:25 with 1x12 cab:

I will primarily use the amp for practice in my room, and I will also use it to record via mic. I do not plan on gigging with it or taking it anywhere else, it will stay in my room all the time. I've read that 1x12s are the best cabs for recording, and that you don't really need more than 7-10 watts for a decent bed room level. I have also read that its better to be on low watt settings with full power for recording, rather than high watt settings with full power?

Mark V:35 with 1x12

I recently saw that the Mark V 35 had the boost channel and a couple new extras. I like the fact that I can turn the 35 watts down to 25 and also 10 to match bedroom levels. And, if what I said previously is true then I can get a good tone out of it to record. I feel as like the 35 will perform the best with an open back 2x12, but I really don't see the point of a 2x12, especially if I am going to mic only 1 speaker and not playing at 35 watts. So I would just get an open back 1x12, but I might as well stick with the 25 if I am going for a 1x12 lol.

TLDR: At the moment I am heavily leaning towards the 25, but is there anything the 35 has over the 25 that would be useful to me given that I want to use it for practice at bedroom levels and recording?

Tbh if you're not planning on gigging maybe the V:25 will be too much? I get the impression it's still pretty loud! My black star HT-5 barely goes up past 9 o'clock and that's 5 watts.

That said I have a JP-2C on order which is ludicrous considering I've never gigged but that's on the basis that I would then have no excuse to not get out there / it would be too embarrassing to not gig!!

Thanks for the response!

The V25 sounds like it gets really loud in the videos. My amp is 10 watts and it gets loud quick, so I could only imagine what a 25 watt would be like.

I was looking at possibly something the tiny terror or micro terror, but I like the idea of an effects loop and the multiple possibilities that I have on the Mark V.

If the 25 is too much and I don't plan on gigging, than the 35 will be way too much lol.

The only time it will get loud is during the day and when I start recording.

I believe the only real difference that you'll notice, for your needs, would be the transformer size. Someone more experienced with these babies on the forum can chime in and correct me here if I'm wrong, but I believe the transformer is bigger on the 35 which would lend itself to a different tonal response. Not much, but some. And I'm not sure it's noticeable sound/hearing wise, but more in feeling. Other than that, the only difference is the master and solo functions and wattage I believe. Personally, I'd go with the 35. You just never know if your situation will change and would want to use the amp for more than you do right now. It's a bit more versatile.

neuroticindian said:
Thanks for the response!

The V25 sounds like it gets really loud in the videos. My amp is 10 watts and it gets loud quick, so I could only imagine what a 25 watt would be like.

I was looking at possibly something the tiny terror or micro terror, but I like the idea of an effects loop and the multiple possibilities that I have on the Mark V.

If the 25 is too much and I don't plan on gigging, than the 35 will be way too much lol.

The only time it will get loud is during the day and when I start recording.

FWIW, My Mark V (90 Watt) could get very loud on the 10 watt setting and could be heard easily in a band rehearsal.

Daxman73 said:
I believe the only real difference that you'll notice, for your needs, would be the transformer size. Someone more experienced with these babies on the forum can chime in and correct me here if I'm wrong, but I believe the transformer is bigger on the 35 which would lend itself to a different tonal response. Not much, but some. And I'm not sure it's noticeable sound/hearing wise, but more in feeling. Other than that, the only difference is the master and solo functions and wattage I believe. Personally, I'd go with the 35. You just never know if your situation will change and would want to use the amp for more than you do right now. It's a bit more versatile.
I have the V:35 and you have hit it on the head. The V:35 can play in 10 watt, 25 & 35. I rarely ever use the 25 watt but I do like the 10 and 35. I can hear a significant difference between 25 & 35. Enough for me to be confident that I made the right choice. Also there is quite a volume drop between voicings. I use the Solo boosts to compensate on the lower volume modes. Again, well worth the extra cash.

I have the V:35 combo and it is very very loud. Even gigging, I keep channel 2 on 10 watts and channel 1 on 25 (for extra clean headroom). Bear in mind that I cab clone into the PA.

The 10 watts selection gets much louder than "bedroom levels." That said, it has great versatility and tone.

You guys are convincing me on the 35 watts. I see that the lone star open back 1x12 can take up to 90 watts, so I would most likely go with that. Any objections for a 1x12 for the V35?

I recently compared both and went with the Mark V 25. If possible, I would play both before choosing. The 10w setting sounds different than 25w setting and I prefer 25w much more. Since I play at home, the 25w is loud and I just didn't need the 35w.

The solo boosts are a nice feature on the 35w and the cost difference is not that dramatic. I thought for sure I would buy the 35w before I played them, but in the end, I really liked the 25w.

Lastly, although very loud amps, both can produce a very nice gain at very low volumes, therefore, you can definitely play at bedroom levels. Hope this helps.

I have something useful to add that perhaps someone who had played both can clarify - I understand the 35 has a better volume taper. As in it does get loud immediately or have a crazy volume jump like many amps do (including so I understand the 25). I believe they addressed this in the JP-2C too. OP you can probably find info on that on this board from 35 reviews.

I haven't played any of them (yet) so do take this with a pinch of salt. Recycled information!

I would play both if you can and see what you prefer.

I own the 25 myself and use a 1x12 and have kept up in a two guitar band on 10 watts. Anyone having trouble keeping up volume wise with a 25 probably has there cab aimed at the back of there calves.

Never played the 35 so can't comment there.

Assuming you get the same tone out of the 35, all things being equal if the extra weight and price are no issue then probably go 35.

Thanks a lot for the responses, helps me quite a bit! I looked up some stuff about headroom, and I feel like 35 would be the best as it gives me a wider frequency. There's a place here that's a bit far from me that is a Mesa dealer and they have both 25/35 so I can try them out, but the extra headroom for the 35 watts seems to really tempt me.

I'd get the 25. The 10 watt setting is not "for bedroom volumes," it's a different type of power stage that sounds and feels different. I get away with playing pretty loud at home, but when I can't, I still use 25 watt mode WAY more than 10 watt mode. In fact, all the time UNLESS I'm going for the softer tones of the 10 watt mode.

I don't think you're going to realize much benefit from the extra watts via a bit of extra freq. response if you primarily use it at lower volumes.

35 has some cool extras, but unless you need them, save a few bucks and get the 25, IMHO.

I agree! I believe that the v mark 35 has more ' sense if you are' interested in the combo version , otherwise it is fine the mark v 25 , indeed even better !

For me it was a no brainer, I wanted the cab clone and chann boost. I do a lot of direct to mixer recording at home as well as prefer to go direct to the board when I play live. All my other amps that I use for recording and performance have XLR out. I also wanted the chann boost. Another feature that my other performance amps have. In addition there is a substantial volume drop between modes on little Mark's. I use the chann boost to compensate instead of having to manually turn up the volume when I switch modes.

Back