Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 with 10" speaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revelation

Reaction score
I'm interested in learning about the interest Mesa and players have with a 10" speaker. I assume this all started with the Fender Princeston amp. The Express 5 25 started out with a 10" speaker and they also offer a 10" speaker option with the Mark V 25 as well. What characteristics do people find 10" speaker has that attracts them vs s 12" cabinet.
https://www.mesaboogie.com/en-US/Amp/1.MM.AB.G10/1-MM-AB-G10

Short answer for me: small size and light weight. That's pretty much it for me. The amp has amazing portability. The combo without an extension cab is great to use "in a pinch" as a grab and go. I did gig with combo alone a few times and it does work well. But running a proper cab is always preferred to get the full sound a 2x12" can get.

Thanks for your answer; it just seems that a 12" speaker will provide a fuller sound with my low end. And the weight difference is not that much of a big deal. Plus the internal electronics are not so squished into a small box.

I may not have much interest in the Mark V25, however it does sound good in most of the demo videos I have watched. I almost want to get one.

However, I have some strong interest in one of the new Boogie cabs Mesa has come out with not too long ago. Still can't find any reviews or videos of this cab. It is the open back 410 cab. They also have one which looks to be the same for the Filmore line, just a different grill cloth.

I am hoping to get one soon, if I like it, may get another for a full stack or just pair the one with a widebody 112cab.

I bought the Mark V:25 as soon as it came out several years ago. Only available as a head at that time. A few years later, I built a combo cab for it and put a 12 in it. Been using it ever since. I put a neo speaker in it and it weighs in at 24.5 pounds. Built one for a friend of mine too....
IMG_2311.JPG

The 10" speaker sounds great, and why not have the combo option? Its so small you can plug it into a big cab if you want to. Still, for some reason it doesn't sound boxy to me and has plenty of cojones.

I bought the Mark V:25 as soon as it came out several years ago. Only available as a head at that time. A few years later, I built a combo cab for it and put a 12 in it. Been using it ever since. I put a neo speaker in it and it weighs in at 24.5 pounds. Built one for a friend of mine too....
View attachment 2308
What a great stereo rig that could be.

Nicely done

I'm interested in learning about the interest Mesa and players have with a 10" speaker. I assume this all started with the Fender Princeston amp. The Express 5 25 started out with a 10" speaker and they also offer a 10" speaker option with the Mark V 25 as well. What characteristics do people find 10" speaker has that attracts them vs s 12" cabinet.
https://www.mesaboogie.com/en-US/Amp/1.MM.AB.G10/1-MM-AB-G10
Tone, portability, and lower stage volume. My 4x12 days are over. It took a little getting used to, but the subsequent gain in overall volume control is wonderful to these tired ears. When mic'ed, that little 10" speaker can sound huge!

Back