Anyone manage to make the Mark V 35 switch pinout work for an amp switching platform?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diabolical

Reaction score
I am curious as my other Mesa amps have a 1/4 ports on the back for amp switchers and here we have the Mark V 35 with something proprietary that if I want to put on the road will be an extra piece of gear that will add to the complexity.

Perhaps not the answer you were looking for, but the Mark V 25 has a two-button foot switch, and if you're not needing the extra headroom, is a great amp AND is super easy to take in a carry on for fly dates:)

If you are using MIDI control this is a great switching interface, no external power supply needed.

I use these with my Roadsters, they work flawlessly.

https://emcustom.eu/amp-midi-switcher-interface.html

Dom
Hey Dom - thanks for the heads up. it looks like their current inventory for Boogie stuff is all sold out. They have recent Facebook posts so they are in business still. Did they have inventory when you bought yours, or did you contact them first, and if so what was the turnaround time?

545 Polish złoty equals 137.15 United

https://emcustom.eu/eshop/index.php?id_category=14&controller=category&id_lang=1

They were in stock when I bought them. They shipped right away and didn’t take long at all to get to the US. I bought them over last summer, about 2 months apart and both times in stock.

I hope they continue to make them, it’s a great piece of gear, very user friendly and takes up hardly any space.

I’m going to keep an eye out and when they are back in stock I might pickup a backup.

It fits perfectly in the back of my Roadster head.

IMG_3543.jpeg

Dom

They were in stock when I bought them. They shipped right away and didn’t take long at all to get to the US. I bought them over last summer, about 2 months apart and both times in stock.

I hope they continue to make them, it’s a great piece of gear, very user friendly and takes up hardly any space.

I’m going to keep an eye out and when they are back in stock I might pickup a backup.

View attachment 3348

Dom
Thanks Dom - that's a crafty setup:)

Dom
I pinged them about availability and got no response. I know they are located in Poland and my brother in law actually lives over there and emailed them in Polish for me, but they haven't responded to him either. :(

View attachment 3348

Dom
Those would be perfect if they had them in stock.

I am curious as my other Mesa amps have a 1/4 ports on the back for amp switchers and here we have the Mark V 35 with something proprietary that if I want to put on the road will be an extra piece of gear that will add to the complexity.

Not true —>
If the cable pinout is similar to other DIN stuff they’ve made the channel switching logic works on small DC voltage from middle pin to ground 0v-2v range (not REALLY sure about but…)

Other pins are the latching on/off for fx-loop/solo/reverb - you name it and depends on amp 😁

I think i found Roadster cable pinout from this board a long time ago..

If it helps 🤣

EDIT: not the center pin after googled a bit

EDIT2:

Found this: https://boogieforum.com/threads/mark-v-five-35-foot-switch-schematic-for-relay-switch-cable.71301/

Last edited:
I modified my Mesa Mark-V 35 head so that I could connect a TRS (stereo) 1/4" phone plug directly to the back of the cabinet to control the two most critical functions provided by the large footswitch included with the amplifier. First, I never liked the huge pedal and it always made a resounding "clank" every time that I stepped on one of the footswitches. Also, I had the special cable go bad and I had to order another one.

Here is what the Mark-V 35 looks like out of the cabinet. The area circled in RED is free of obstructions and can be used to mount another jack.

20180205_173744.jpg

I chose to use a simple 1/4" stereo jack to wire in parallel to two of the pins on the DIN connector shown just to the right of the red circle.

20180205_235655.jpg

I can't remember the particular pins that I used on the DIN cable, but a description of which pins service which switch functions are described in your owner's manuals or downloadable from the interwebs. I just selected two pins, one for channel-selection and one for the solo-boost. I never switch off the reverb or the EQ, but rather assign these features once and leave them alone. This allows me to connect a more "convenient" footswitch that has the property of near-silent switching, and provides better convenience to hookup external switchers. Most programmable switchers can address both of the switching circuits on a TRS cable anyway. I just made this out of an old Morley A/B switch:

20180912_104206.jpg

It works much better than the one included with the amplifier, for my purposes.

Last edited:
Oh, wow...Fender30 you're a Champ!

You know - didn't think of that but possibly I can also do a mod there, although it might hit the resale value. TBH I don't need the switch itself as I have several switchers that should control that either via midi or one of these channel switch things that you plug a 1/4 cable in the back and program the type of switching. The "big boy" Mark V has these ports on the back as does the Express 5:50+ that I own.
In my case the reverb on the dirty channel is definitely a "no", then on the clean is a "yes". At least if I can get it to change channels and possibly turn boost on/off, the rest I can disable and just supplement with pedals. The Mesa switch is good but bulky and will take too much room, plus extra tap dancing moves that I want to save. The switch it pops on the first press and then afterwards it's quiet, at least mine does it that way :)

Thank you for the info - I will have to ask Mesa for the pinout, that's a great approach, I could possibly just extend that din cable and put a 1/4 jack on the bottom of it...and btw I am so scared that they'll stop making these that I did buy a second spare din cable just in case as now I have 2 amps with this :)

I modified my Mesa Mark-V 35 head so that I could connect a TRS (stereo) 1/4" phone plug directly to the back of the cabinet to control the two most critical functions provided by the large footswitch included with the amplifier. First, I never liked the huge pedal and it always made a resounding "clank" every time that I stepped on one of the footswitches. Also, I had the special cable go bad and I had to order another one.

Here is what the Mark-V 35 looks like out of the cabinet. The area circled in RED is free of obstructions and can be used to mount another jack.

View attachment 3390

I chose to use a simple 1/4" stereo jack to wire in parallel to two of the pins on the DIN connector shown just to the right of the red circle.

View attachment 3391

I can't remember the particular pins that I used on the DIN cable, but a description of which pins service which switch functions are described in your owner's manuals or downloadable from the interwebs. I just selected two pins, one for channel-selection and one for the solo-boost. I never switch off the reverb or the EQ, but rather assign these features once and leave them alone. This allows me to connect a more "convenient" footswitch that has the property of near-silent switching, and provides better convenience to hookup external switchers. Most programmable switchers can address both of the switching circuits on a TRS cable anyway. I just made this out of an old Morley A/B switch:

View attachment 3392

It works much better than the one included with the amplifier, for my purposes.

There's this.

Great company. I've used them quite a bit over the years.

There's this.

Great company. I've used them quite a bit over the years.
Kinda steep for just a jack but looking at the Mesa price of cables it's not THAT bad.
So are the 5 pin outs on the Mesa basically a midi plug? I think I have a long spare midi cable that I haven't used since the good old days of drum machine midi programming...so I can hack it up and solder two 1/4 fem jacks to it.

Kinda steep for just a jack but looking at the Mesa price of cables it's not THAT bad.
So are the 5 pin outs on the Mesa basically a midi plug? I think I have a long spare midi cable that I haven't used since the good old days of drum machine midi programming...so I can hack it up and solder two 1/4 fem jacks to it.
Quality, custom built equipment for the touring musician is rarely cheap. The adapter is still cheaper than a MIDI controller or modding your amp. They warranty their work and there's no danger of killing the control circuit of the amp should you mis-wire something. My experience is - touring is incredibly hard on equipment, and the better built cable is usually repairable - multiple times over and on the spot with the right tools.

Hey Dom - thanks for the heads up. it looks like their current inventory for Boogie stuff is all sold out. They have recent Facebook posts so they are in business still. Did they have inventory when you bought yours, or did you contact them first, and if so what was the turnaround time?

545 Polish złoty equals 137.15 United

https://emcustom.eu/eshop/index.php?id_category=14&controller=category&id_lang=1
Doug, Dom,

Ive used an EM custom switcher for 3-4 years. It eliminated the big markV footswitch from my board. If someone had said to me "I can shrink your pedalboard by 25% for $137.15." I would have considered it a bargain. Anyway, I love it.

Back