Am I crazy to trade my MkIV for an Express 5:25?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grokostimpy

Reaction score
I have a Mark IV, which I LOVE, but I only play at home and it's just way too loud. I always have it in triode/class A and I have an attenuator which controls it pretty well, but I still can't really crank it and attenuate it and retain the tone. I've been thinking about selling or trading it in order to get an Express 5:25.

Am I crazy??? I'm afraid I'll regret it since the MkIV is obvious way more capable and featured. That 5w mode sure would be handy though...

Do you need/use the Mark 1V features? Just 'cause it's got 'em doesn't make 'em useful or necessary.
Have you tried a 5:25? You may not like the sound of the 5W class A mode.

Having said that, if you want the Express, go for it. Just make sure you get your money's worth for the Mark 1V. You'll usually get more by selling privately than trading in.

I have a 5:25, and I love it.

Mad as a box of frogs! The Express are great but 5w cranked is still very, very loud for home use so dont be fooled by that!

Batshit crazy. You just have to use Class A/Triode with tweed mode. The Mark IV is capable of creating awesome tones at lower volumes.

A five watt amp is half as loud as a 50 watt amp, not ten times quieter. In a 12 x 12 room, it will still get loud enough to drown out conversation.

Well, the manual says the MkIV puts out 30 watts in Triode/ClassA. And it says power is "reduced somewhat" with Tweed mode.

So maybe ~25w or so for my MkIV totally tamed vs the 5w of the Express... :?: Would y'all still say that the Express is just as loud :?:

grokostimpy said:
Well, the manual says the MkIV puts out 30 watts in Triode/ClassA. And it says power is "reduced somewhat" with Tweed mode.

So maybe ~25w or so for my MkIV totally tamed vs the 5w of the Express... :?: Would y'all still say that the Express is just as loud :?:

"A five watt amp is half as loud as a 50 watt amp, not ten times quieter."

No, not just as loud, but not a great deal quieter. You should look up "decibel" and "logarithmic".

As long as you use Class A/Triode/Tweed, you could also load the Mark IV with 6V6 power tubes. It's a rounder sound, more like a Deluxe Reverb instead of a Twin Reverb. Be sure to read the manual on this option.

grokostimpy said:
I have a Mark IV, which I LOVE, but I only play at home and it's just way too loud. I always have it in triode/class A and I have an attenuator which controls it pretty well, but I still can't really crank it and attenuate it and retain the tone. I've been thinking about selling or trading it in order to get an Express 5:25.

Am I crazy??? I'm afraid I'll regret it since the MkIV is obvious way more capable and featured. That 5w mode sure would be handy though...

Yes you are!

Latest posts

Back