4x12 Recto Straight cab; Traditional vs Std (Oversized)???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have any experience with the traditional but I just picked up a rectifier (oversized) cab and I hate it. It sounds super scooped and the low end is flubby and not tight at all. I have heard that the traditional isnt like that.

I prefer the Traditional straight cab. The Standard doesn't cut trough a mix, sounds boomy and I hate how the highs sound with my dual rectifier.

James Lugo said:
screamingdaisy” said:
I'm not a fan of straight cabs.

Why?
[/quote]

Assuming we're talking about half stacks, I find them harder to hear on stage. With straight cabs all I hear is bottom end and muffled midrange unless I'm using a full stack. I like having a set of speakers aimed at my head.

But, (since I assume you're looking at this from a recording perspective) the oversized slant cab is said to be somewhere between the oversized straight and the traditional straight in terms of response. It's not as boomy as the OS, but still has some of the extended bottom end frequency. I haven't A/B'd them myself, just passing on the information since you might find it useful.

Additionally, as you know the boomy response that a live user will complain about won't be picked up by an SM57 and you're probably going to EQ it out anyway. The big thing for you will be the midrange response, in which case there's some really good threads on Sneap's forum that cover that territory in a level of detail that few people on here will have much knowledge on. The long and short however is that the OS cabs produce a notch in the midrange right where a vocalist normally sits, so there's less competition between the two sources, which is why it's become so popular for recording.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. All my Mesa 4x12 experience is with the OS/Slant cab and the old straight/slant cabs... so take what I say with a grain of salt. Just passing on years of reading in hopes it'll help you in some way.

I played a Traditional slant last night. I friggin loved it. It matched beautifully with my Ubershall. I was seriously blown away by the voicing, tone and feel. I have totally found my live rig.

Bought my slant Trad. new. Paid the 1150 after taxes or whatever it was. But I knew it would be a cab I'll keep for a long time. Its over 7 years old now and sounds better with age. Lot's of loud playing hours makes these cabs sound real sweet.

VanWreckto said:
Bought my slant Trad. new. Paid the 1150 after taxes or whatever it was. But I knew it would be a cab I'll keep for a long time. Its over 7 years old now and sounds better with age. Lot's of loud playing hours makes these cabs sound real sweet.

Oh yeah! Traded out some gear and got this guy last night:

Latest posts

Back