Thinking of selling my 65' Twin RI and gettin a LSC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMac5

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 40th anniversary 65' twin. I really like the Twin, but I am looking for somenthing more versatile. What I want to knowis how does the lonestars clean compare to the twin? Does anybody have any clips of the LSC?

You can absolutely get Twin cleans out of the LSC, as well as a ton of other classic tones. I don't know if you can still find the review online, but Tone Quest made a direct reference to the Twin, as well as several other amps.

Cheez said:
You can absolutely get Twin cleans out of the LSC, as well as a ton of other classic tones. I don't know if you can still find the review online, but Tone Quest made a direct reference to the Twin, as well as several other amps.
Is this the review you are reffering to:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/ToneQuest-LoneStar/ToneQuest-Mark1-LSReview.htm

The Lonestar will do everything that you want short of Very High gain Metal. That being said it has a great Lead, Medium/high gain sound. Think Mesa Mark series or Rivera.

Check YouTube.com and do a search for Andy Timmons. He uses a Lonestar and gets Amazing tone.

I love mine. I have the 1x12 combo. It really sounds fantasic through a 4x12 too.

BigMac5 said:
Hello, I have a 40th anniversary 65' twin. I really like the Twin, but I am looking for somenthing more versatile. What I want to knowis how does the lonestars clean compare to the twin? Does anybody have any clips of the LSC?

Hi BigMac5, I live in Chula Vista also. I currently own an LSC. I made the decision to buy this amp after I had the opportunity to compare it against the Twin Reissue and the Bassman Reissue and I have to say that it blew both of those amps away as far as tone and versatility goes. I much prefer the clean of the LSC over those reissue Fender amps. With the LSC you can really get that Blackface Twin clean or Deluxe Reverb clean (depending on how you set the switches). Plus you get an effects loop and a killer distortion channel.

The twin will always have a slightly "different" tone, but the cleans on the Lonestar are very close, you may even like it better. It's equal in quality, just slightly diff

I have the LSS which is a different amp altogether
I also have a reissue twin, it's my favorite clean

but I recently went to a Mesa Boogie clinic where Andy Timmons was demoing the LSC and the tone was unreal. I got there early and he was dorkin around on the clean channel, and I'm thinkin, that was that Texas tone is all about (turns out he's from Texas)

He also played a lot of higher gain stuff, and this amp is extremely versatile. Has versatility over the twin, big time

If I was gonna limit myself to one amp, this would be it

Is this the review you are reffering to:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/ToneQuest-LoneStar/ToneQuest-Mark1-LSReview.htm

Yup! Didn't realize mesa posted it, too... no surprise. :)

The tones from the LSC are very similar to the Twin RI if you run it in 100W mode which by design is SS rectification. This, at a very high level matches the poweramp section of a Twin. The gain stages and tone stack is a bit different but you can easily dial it in to sound close to the Twin.

I've owned the TRRI you mention since I'm a clean player and found that the LSC blew it away. The cleans seem deeper, the low mids are rich, the high end chimes without being as ice-picky as the TR can get. and then you have the second channel which is just delicious.

I own the Roadster, which its clean is based on the Lone Star, and I have owned a couple Twins in my life.

1. I think the LS clean is as good, if not better .. it is voiced similar. Not midrangy like a Bassman .. but more neutral, or semi scooped in comparison. The only drawback would be the reverb, you cant't beat the Twins Reverb .. espicially if you play surf.

I have not cranked my reverb on my Roadster to seeif it does surf yet, but I have a feeling it doesn't do it like the twin will.

I had the GC guy's helping me on my amp search. LSS great amp that broke up to early. I took it back for a TRRI, great amp that didn't break up soon enough. Went back for a LSC and I couldn't be happier.

Chimey, jangly, smooth, clean, dirty at all volumes. More knobs and switches to tweak but not an overwhelming amount. It's like having a TR and a DR in the same box with some cool extras. I can't say anything bad about the TRRI. The LSC is much more to my liking.

Go for it and don't look back. Good Luck!

I cranked the reverb on my Roadster/ channel 1. Its not close to Fender reverb, . . Cranked its more like a decent stompbox reverb. At normal to suttle settings, its just fine and dandy..

Thanks for all the help. I always have found it hard to believe that nobody can make an amp with cleans as good as the twin. I mean the amp design is over 40 years old. Defiantly going to sell the Twin and get a LSC.

I have been using the twin for cleans and the Voodoo Mod. TSL for overdrive/distortion. I switch between amps with a Voodoo Lab Amp switcher. It's a sweet set up. two Clean channels, and 3 overdrive/distortion channels.

I am also saving to get a recto. I haven't decided if I am going to go with a dual or a roadster. I heard awesome sounding dual rectos that have been moded by Voodoo amps. The Roadster has 4 channels with LSC clean, but voodoo does not mod those. Tough choice.

Well I didi it, I won a LSC on eBay. Can't wait for it to get here. Time to start saving for a Roadster.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&item=130019125680

c2_12.JPG

92_12.JPG

Latest posts

Back