"The Time Is Magic" - magic mesa mark2b

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
http://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/bb01-the-time-is-magic

for this one (title track of the new album) i decided to go all direct source, no microphones.

i mixed it up all over the album, some songs are all mic, some are all direct, and some are mixed.

recording setup:

i use a pc based DAW, Sonar pro edition 6.0

i have a maudio audiophile 192 sound card, with analog and digital inputs.
i have (2) mic pres, a ART DPS with (2) tube pres and a digital convertor in it, and a A Designs Audio MP-1 class A tube mic preamp (mono).
i route either of these thru a DBX MC-6 compressor, and either directly into the ART convertor, or to the soundcard analog inputs, with conversion occurring at the card.

i use toontracks Superior drummer, and Sony Acid, for drum tracks. i use real drums whenever i can get a drummer to work for free!
LOL

guitar rig:
my current recording technique (guitars) using a Weber Mass Lite and Palmer PDI-09.

this is for all you guys who are looking for a 'quiet' way to capture full bore tube amp sounds into Sonar, without getting evicted or divorced.

masslite.jpg

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/masslite.htm

it works pretty well..

here's how i use it:

i go Mesa boogie Mark IIb 60 watt tube head /speaker out (8 or 4 ohm, it doesn't matter) into the Palmer PDI-09.

pdi09-big.jpg

so, boogie speaker out into palmer 'INPUT', and then back out via the 'THRU', and that goes to the Weber, for attenuation.

From the Weber, 'speaker out' to whatever cab i want to use (i have a demeter isolation cabinet available, if i want to play loud, the celestion greenback cab if i want to monitor 'open air'.)

idea here is, if i want to record in the headphones, i can attenuate the piss out of the boogie, put it in the demeter, and you can't hear almost anything.....
if i want to play loud, and play along with my monitors blasting my backing tracks, i can use my closed back 1x12 with the celestion, or into the demter, and play as loud as i want.. the palmer doesn't know the difference, only the weber comes into play, and since i'm not micing, there's no bleed over from the guitar cab and the monitors......

so, the 'BAL. OUT' on the palmer, is an XLR out, that goes to my mic preamp, digital convertor, and into SONAR.
the switches on the top of the palmer give me line level attenuation, and 3 different 'cab and mic' sounds.
i like the NORMAL setting the best. It's all passive, the weber and the palmer, so i'm not introducing any kind of electrical noise at either of these two units.

bass rig:
i use either a Carvin LB70, or a Ibanez Micro short scale...
run it into both a sansamp bass di and the boogie, set for bass tone.
i blend the two signals together, to a single buss, and compress the whole on mixdown.

guitar rig:
gtrrig1uu4.jpg

in the clip, it shows the tone you can get in Position #4 on the vintage white strat, with a Bill Lawrence 500L Humbucker and a middle position L280 pickup together, along with a Q filter on the tone control, that varies the inductance on the pickup(s) (it shows position #2 in the pic)

stratandrigju0.jpg

That's awesome. Also, SLC represent. 8)

This track makes me want to buy the Mark IIB that's constantly floating around on SLC Craigslist and KSL. It's down to like $650.

thanks ben!

yep, i've seen that amp....

if it's in GOOD shape, and doens't need a complete recap and etc, then 650 would be a good price.

but you could easily be into more money if it has never been recapped (it's definitely time for it)

the guy that works on my mesa, works at House of Guitars, 600 S 300 W area......

NIce track dude, i see a Barber tone press in your rig, how do you find it? I've heard only good things, any bad points?

b21

thanks for checking this one out!
and for commenting...

love the tone press.

i sold off a classic original MXR Dynacomp, once i heard this one.

i also a/b'd it against a dozen current model compressors, including the infamous 2 knob Keeley, which was my 2nd favorite.
but this one did more.....

the tone press, is on every guitar track on this song.

i think i even used it on the bass track....

ah.....
the weekend....
time to play and record and ski and drink and......

Back