Still struggling with harsh frequencies I can't dial out...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
without getting muddy or loosing definition.

I have been hearing alot about EL34's but I love CH1. And CH2 is really coming together too. Also, I really like 6L6's. Without them, I feel like the bass dissapears. And this amp doesn't have any bass to spare.

It's just CH3 I can't seem to figure out. I'm constantly tweaking. I have had the amp for 6-8 months (?) and I still play with the knobs everytime I play. It's getting old.

I started a thread recently (it's just a few down from this one) about how it gets better when the volume goes up but it gets too loud before the problem goes away.

What speaker is in you mark v. The folloing demo compares the v30 and the blackshadow in a markv. The blackshadow (also a c90) seams to have tintier sound, while the v30 in the first clip definetley has more base response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lJYmOKC4h0

Vogelsong said:
What speaker is in you mark v. The folloing demo compares the v30 and the blackshadow in a markv. The blackshadow (also a c90) seams to have tintier sound, while the v30 in the first clip definetley has more base response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lJYmOKC4h0

I run a 2x12 Recto horizontal with V30's.

I had V30's in my cab and had the exact same complaint as you. Was constantly turning knobs on CH3 and couldn't dial out that harsh high end. I did some research and went with a darker speaker to compensate. I tossed in some Eminence C Rex's and it made a huge difference. A lot of people seem to love the V30 with the V but I think they are a terrible match. A speaker with pronounced mids matched with an amp with pronounced mids and highs is a bad combo to my ears.

ixoye777 said:
I had V30's in my cab and had the exact same complaint as you. Was constantly turning knobs on CH3 and couldn't dial out that harsh high end. I did some research and went with a darker speaker to compensate. I tossed in some Eminence C Rex's and it made a huge difference. A lot of people seem to love the V30 with the V but I think they are a terrible match. A speaker with pronounced mids matched with an amp with pronounced mids and highs is a bad combo to my ears.

Agreed, I bought a Port City with the same speakers and it's whole other beast! I love it.

Actually, at the end of this video (last 4 minutes or so) is Ch.3 through the PC with those speakers... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA30bXYfArg

espmaster1 said:
ixoye777 said:

Agreed, I bought a Port City with the same speakers and it's whole other beast! I love it.

Actually, at the end of this video (last 4 minutes or so) is Ch.3 through the PC with those speakers... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA30bXYfArg

Is there a point in that last 4 min. of that vid where you really hear what your talking about? So far I havn't heard anything I don't like.

Hendog said:
without getting muddy or loosing definition.

I have been hearing alot about EL34's but I love CH1. And CH2 is really coming together too. Also, I really like 6L6's. Without them, I feel like the bass dissapears.
a couple things i've done that have tamed the harsher high end:

try Russian 5881 power tubes. they're very similar to 6L6, so they still have the 6L6 low end, but they have less highs. Boogie sells a rebranded Russian 5881.

use the graphic EQ instead of the presets, and keep the treble sliders not very high. run the treble not super high.

i use a dark-sounding preamp tube in V1--a Mullard re-issue. you could use a lower-gain one there too, if you don't need a ton of gain. i've heard that using a 5751 in v7, the phase inverter slot, can smooth things out too.

i run broken-in v30s in a vertical recto 2x12, and with 5881s or EL34s i get nice bite without it being harsh.

Vogelsong said:
espmaster1 said:
ixoye777 said:

Is there a point in that last 4 min. of that vid where you really hear what your talking about? So far I havn't heard anything I don't like.

I think it's pretty clear when playing in the upper register of the guitar or open chords. SO when you hear either of those things you can hear how the sound is smoothed out on the top end. Usually, when you play an open chord you can get some grit from the top strings and when you hear it played here that 'grit' is fuller/smoother.

And in terms of in the upper register, often with the black shadow's I hear a aura of a 'hiss' surrounding most high notes, it's taken out here.

As I mention usually in every Mark V thread ( haha), the first thing I would do with the amp is change the tubes in both pre and power sections to take out that scratchy harshness. Winged =C=s in the power and Tungsol/EH in the preamp which will make it nice and smooth, but still thick and punchy. I don't like the stock sound of the Mark V at all.

~Nep~

Neptical said:
As I mention usually in every Mark V thread ( haha), the first thing I would do with the amp is change the tubes in both pre and power sections to take out that scratchy harshness. Winged =C=s in the power and Tungsol/EH in the preamp which will make it nice and smooth, but still thick and punchy. I don't like the stock sound of the Mark V at all.

~Nep~

Do you own a Mark V??? So you are saying that swapping in Winged C EL34's and Tungsol Reissue 12AX7's in all slots will take out the harshness?

Had the same problem with my Express. Lowered the pickup height quite a bit. It worked amazingly. Although I also put 2 12AU7's in the pre. It tamed the gain down by enough and lowered the disgusting compression the amp had going on. Doubt you wanna put 12AU7's in your V, but the pickup height could be worth a try.

Hendog said:
Neptical said:

~Nep~

Do you own a Mark V??? So you are saying that swapping in Winged C EL34's and Tungsol Reissue 12AX7's in all slots will take out the harshness?

Nah, I don't own one yet but I've been messing with my buddies and doing some tube swaps with my tubes. I find that combination works really nice in the Mark amps. The Tungsols will definitely smooth out the bright sizzly highs while the Winged =C=s compliment real nice making it nice full and rounded.

~Nep~

Assuming you have your sound dialed in correctly, I have found that tweaking things like your power section helps with removing harshness. From my expereince with the amp, things like running in 45 Watts as apposed to 90 Watts, removes harsh high end. As well, try Variac instead of Full Power. You shouldn't have to completly change out your tubes to remove harshness. The ability is already there, right out of the box.

lots of good adviced here!!!!!!! in your situation, start doing some research on speakers that would have the biggest impact on the frequencies you are trying to achieved.....

good luck :wink:

scott from _actual time_ said:
try Russian 5881 power tubes. they're very similar to 6L6, so they still have the 6L6 low end, but they have less highs. Boogie sells a rebranded Russian 5881.

This.
I'm running a set of Mesa 5881's - not just for jazz! Very nice and smoove...

Watch your presence settings...also I roll off a little treble on the guitar pot and that takes care of it for me...on My Paul I run it on about 7 of so..depending on the tune. The comment about pick up height is a great one too...Had to change mine...Lower to accomodate the V which has great high end .

I am having no problems with high freq. I have a stock mkv with 2x12 recto cab loaded with v30's. I am also using a duncan jb loaded les paul. My sound is warm and cutting, but in no way harsh. The key is to keep your treble and presence below 1'oclock and your two far right eq sliders bumped just a little above the middle line. This allows for enough cut, without being too harsh. Also, make sure your cab is in contact with the floor and not on casters...makes a HUGE difference. There is nothing worse than a harsh sound. I know...i used to own an ace combo ( nasty harsh amp no matter what eq settings) Good Luck

theweatherman said:
Also, make sure your cab is in contact with the floor and not on casters...makes a HUGE difference.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that. My cab has been on casters for the last couple of years. I'll have to try taking them off.

theweatherman said:
The key is to keep your treble and presence below 1'oclock and your two far right eq sliders bumped just a little above the middle line. This allows for enough cut, without being too harsh.

+1....Same exact way I run my IIIs with the sliders. Because I play newer metal/fusion material, I keep my treble high but I don't use any presence at all for the same fact that I cut those higer freqs on the sliders. When you cut some of those highs back on the Marks, I find it makes them quite a bit fuller and rounder sounding, especially with a bit of volume and pushing the power section. Too much highs on any amp will totally 'sizzle' it right out--which (to me) is quite unpleasing to the ears.

theweatherman said:
Also, make sure your cab is in contact with the floor and not on casters...makes a HUGE difference. There is nothing worse than a harsh sound.

+2...Cab in contact with the floor makes the amp even that much more full sounding (imho). You really get to feel the resonance and bass response of the amp. When I leave casters on, the air getting under the cab doesn't give me that same 'feel' at all. It's completely different and lacks fullness and tightness. Over the years, I've had the same impressions with Mesa, Marshall and Peavey cabs. To each their own, but I think it's a nice compliment to driving the power section of an amp.

~Nep~

Latest posts

Back