Single Recto output cuts in and out

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frets70

Reaction score
I have a Single Rectifier head series I (early, one of the first 35) that has been cutting out for no apparent reason.

When it does cut out all I have to do is touch the speaker cable at the speaker output jack on the head and it comes back on,

ALSO, it does it with different speaker cables so that is not the problem. It has no pattern and can not be triggered to cut out.

could it be the output section PCB (I recently re-soldered the all 3 output jacks), a dirty jack or a failing OT?

has anybody seen this happen before? HELP!!!!!!!! :?

Try running the cab out of a 4 ohm jack. See if it still cuts out. That can narrow it down to the questionable jack...

frets70 said:
When it does cut out all I have to do is touch the speaker cable at the speaker output jack on the head and it comes back on

That might be a good place to start looking. :wink:

This is clearly a preamp tube issue. Unless it is apparent on all channels. What channel is this problem arising under? If channel 1, then it could be V-1. If the lead channel, check V2 or 3. If it only happens with the F/X loop engaged, then try V-4. If it is happening throughout the amp, it could be V-5 or the power tubes. Swap preamp tubes, then play, then replace if everything checks out. If not, replace the tube.

Good luck dude.

BostonRedSox said:
This is clearly a preamp tube issue.

So wait if he touches the speaker cable jack and the symptom goes away that is a sign of a tube problem? :?:

I am going to have to disagree with you mang.

BostonRedSox said:
This is clearly a preamp tube issue. Unless it is apparent on all channels. What channel is this problem arising under? If channel 1, then it could be V-1. If the lead channel, check V2 or 3. If it only happens with the F/X loop engaged, then try V-4. If it is happening throughout the amp, it could be V-5 or the power tubes. Swap preamp tubes, then play, then replace if everything checks out. If not, replace the tube.

Good luck dude.

If he touched a tube and the signal would drop out, would that indicate a speaker jack problem?

/sarcasm :lol:

RussB said:
BostonRedSox said:

Good luck dude.

If he touched a tube and the signal would drop out, would that indicate a speaker jack problem?

/sarcasm :lol:

+1 :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions guys

Already switched to 4ohm jack, didn't fix it
Already changed speakers cables, didn't fix it
Already changed around preamp tubes, didn't fix it
Already changed Power Tubes, didn't fix it
Already reflowed the solder on the PCB where output jacks are mounted, didn't fix it

Strike 5 and I'm out, must go to a tech, too tough of a problem!!!!

fluff191 said:
Did you happen to check the input jack on the speaker cab?

****, I wanted to be the first to suggest that :mrgreen:

Seriously, this sounds like a bad solder/jack/cable/whatever. If the amp doesn't seem to be the problem, check the cab.

Does it happen at lower volumes ? Once I tested a Rocktron 4x12, and with enough volume, the speaker cable would jump out of the jack because the whole backside of the cab was resonating like crazy :roll:

frets70 said:
could it be the output section PCB (I recently re-soldered the all 3 output jacks)

There could be a poor solder connection or damage to the PCB. Test it with the DMM for continuity

Latest posts

Back