Mini Rectifier intermittent problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prsmatt

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, glad to be a part of the group. I’m having some trouble with my mini rectifier. My amp will occasionally cut out for a fraction of a second. There’s a mechanical clicking sound like the channel is switching and the blue strip light also cuts out. When it happens if I switch to 10 watt mode on the dirty channel the sound all but cuts out. You can still hear a faint whisper of the sound through the cab. After powering off the amp and powering it on again sometimes the 10 watt mode will still fail other times it won’t. This problem has happened at multiple locations, with or without anything in the fx loop, with various different IEC power cables, and with different sets of EL84’s. Sometimes I can use the amp daily for a week without it happening most recently a 2-3 weeks no issue. Then today it happened multiple times. Has anybody experienced anything similar? Any known fixes? I saw an old thread from 2012 or so talking about adding capacitors and changing some values but I couldn’t make out if the OP had a similar issue or something else going on. Hope I’ve come to the right place, any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 5C1064F4-C1D8-4E44-8C87-B54C48706B08.jpeg
    5C1064F4-C1D8-4E44-8C87-B54C48706B08.jpeg
    470.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your mini rec problem. Mine does the same thing. I attached the official fix I received from Mesa. Unfortunately, the problem returned after a short while.

Attachments

• MiniRec25 updates.pdf
    457.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for your post, I did end up finding the fix you posted. So far I only added the 1k electrolytic and the amp has not acted up. I really only use the 25 watt mode though I just tested the 10 watt mode a couple of times and it was working nicely. My biggest issue was the the amp cutting out for a fraction of a second every so often, like the power to the unit was interrupted. I have not experienced that since I added the capacitor. So you did both fixes and the problem returned?

Last edited:
I've had this exact same problem for a long time. I even took my mini recto to a tech a few years ago, and they couldn't find or fix the problem because it's intermittent and unpredictable.
Currently, I haven't experienced this problem for a very long time, I guess maybe because I've been only playing it in 25-watt mode. That said, 10-watt mode is completely dead in channel 2, and barely works in the clean channel. Another thing that sometimes happens is the when switching back to the clean channel, the sound fades in.

Back