Rocket?????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursinus

Reaction score
So I walked in to a GC a couple of days ago and saw a Mesa I have never seen before. It was a Rocket 4x10 combo.

What is this beast? I didn't have time to test it.

So what gives on this model? :shock:

Subway Rocket with four output tubes, twice the power, four tens. May have been based off the Subway Rocket Reverb, I can't recall right now (spring reverb, no Presence control).

These are great amps, truly some of Mesa's sleepers in my humble opinion.

The preamp is from the Subway series, the Dyna-watt power section is lifted almost exactly from the DC-3. These are real screamers, and they also have excellent cleans. The high gain solo tone is absolutely stunning to my ears. A/B one of these against popular high gain heads for a real eye-opening experience. Quite powerful - they're louder than many 50 watt heads, I promise you, and they retain a good tight bottom end even when cranked to insane levels. I used to have a Rocket 44 1x12 combo, and now I have a Rocket 44 head and love it. The 44 and 440 are almost identical - the 44 has no presence control, and the 440 has. I'd definitely like to get my hands on a 440 4x10 combo. The only thing about these amps that I find less than stellar is the reverb. It's not exactly bad, just too vague and weak. I use mine for recording and all time-based effects come after the cab mics anyway, so to me it is not an issue. Overall, a unique sound from a unique design.

Shredders would love this amp....but don't tell everyone. I like the fact that few know oor care about these little monsters. :twisted: 8)

P.S. These amps are actually in the modern Mesa category....they came after the DC series and were made until the F-series came out IIRC. You can read some info about them here:

http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of%20_Production/Subway_Series/subway_series.html

The Rocket 44 manual is here:

http://mesaboogie.com/manuals/Rocket%2044%20Manual.pdf

Latest posts

Back