Roadster mods-Brit mode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paytojt

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any simple mod to do so the Brit mode can sound more like a high gain Marshall? With all of these Lonestar mods recently posted, maybe someone with a little more knowledge can give me some insight. I think my Roadster would be perfect if that were possible. Keep in mind, I want to avoid pedals if possible, just so there is less clutter. I'm sure with an eq I could get it easily, but like I said, if I can get Vintage and modern sounding Marshall tone without a pedal, I'd be pretty happy. Maybe pot value changes???

paytojt said:
Does anyone know of any simple mod to do so the Brit mode can sound more like a high gain Marshall? With all of these Lonestar mods recently posted, maybe someone with a little more knowledge can give me some insight. I think my Roadster would be perfect if that were possible. Keep in mind, I want to avoid pedals if possible, just so there is less clutter. I'm sure with an eq I could get it easily, but like I said, if I can get Vintage and modern sounding Marshall tone without a pedal, I'd be pretty happy.
Do you want to use no pedals at all? Do you already have any pedals and just don't want to add more?

I ask because I'm pretty happy wtih the tone I get out of channel 2 Brit with an OCD in the front, tone maxed, volume maxed, drive at 9:00.

Do you want to use no pedals at all? Do you already have any pedals and just don't want to add more?

I ask because I'm pretty happy wtih the tone I get out of channel 2 Brit with an OCD in the front, tone maxed, volume maxed, drive at 9:00.[/quote]

I don't want to introduce any new ones. I just want to try to get a modern sounding Marshall tone out of the Brit mode. It might not be possible without pedals! But I can hope... Ideally, I would just lower the gain setting to get an older Marshally sound. Would different pot values for the gain control do it?

I actually thought Channel 2 needed a mod the first day I got my roadster home. Its my favorite sounding channel on the amp but I find I just need a bit more gain out of it. It falls short just a tiny bit. I know I could set the other two channels (3 and 4) to sound similar but they are not voiced anything like the Brit setting on that channel.

I have a progressive gain thing going on for each channel. My clean drives a tiny bit if picking hard, 2 drives tight with lots of highs and mids for chords, 3 has good distortion for chording and 4 is the fat red recto channel.

I also agree about pedals with the amp...I use none at all and think it would be silly to use them with such a quality sounding rig. Just a little time based fx (reverbs and delays) I have a lexicon that sits on the top of the amp for that.

Anyone know of mods for the Roadster? More drive on channel 2 please Mesa... :)

Don't know about the roadster, have only tried this on the RK, but try turning up the send level on rear of the amp all the way up. You'll need to turn your master down to compensate. obviously the FX loop needs to be in the circuit (ie the loop bypass switch on the back need to be set to 'active'). This will overdrive the FX loop return tube. Sounds great in brit mode on the RK

i actually think it does a very good angus-type marshall tone stock but if you crave a more dsl type tone i would look into an OCD or another good OD because with channel 2 brit with my OCD infront i can do a marshall-esk tone in spades. i know a lot of people think if you have an expensive, high quality piece you shouldnt HAVE to use a pedal. i find the pedal opens a lot more doors to different tones that the amp itself cannot get and lets me get that much more out of the amp.

also look into different tubes. the kt77s in my roadster have a much more "british" type tone than stock 6l6s. maybe even experiment with some el34s.

Latest posts

Back