Road king questions about rectifier lights and bold/soft

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocker43

Reaction score
Hello group, I have been enjoying my new road king 1 combo but I have a few questions you may be able to help me with. When I am playing no matter what channel or what tube configuration, my far right rectifier light on the front of the amp always stays on, even if I switch to diode, is this correct?

Another question is sometimes it seems like I go from bold to sponge with the switch on the back and it don't seem to make any difference. Yesterday it seemed to work really well for the first time but today not much difference if any. Any thoughts.. Thank you very much for any feedback. Other than those two items I am having a blast with this beast. Thanks again.

This review should clarify what the modes like spongy/bold do for your tone:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0906_MesaBoogieRoadKing.php

I have talked to Mesa about the rectifier/diode lights issue. The tech. on the phone couldn't give me an answer for it. My amp does the same thing. The rectifier lights or light stays on in diode mode (depends on whether or not you're using 2 tubes or 4 tubes). I think it was a design flaw. Doesn't seem to hamper with the function of the amp sound wise. Just doing something it shouldn't be doing.

Hey thanks for the feedback guys. I tell you what I am so glad I re-bought another Road King. It is one great amp. I have never played the RKll but I can't imagine I personally would be any happier. I switched back to bold today and it made a huge difference once again. After I posted my question at first I reached down behind my amp and hit the switch and my fan speed dropped considerably. I just kept it on sponge. Today I put back it
on bold and I noticed immediately I was running at full power. Regardless, Wow, I am so happy with this amp.

About the far right light on the front right, it never goes off no matter what mode, what configuration, or what ever. I just play and am having a blast, I hooked up my g-string decimator in the loop today. That device works just as well with the mesa as with my JVM.

One other thing I just bought an xotic plus pedal (the red one) this week and it really matches up great with the road king, I am like a kid in a candy store and couldn't be happier. The only thing I wish is I could find somewhere that I could get a schematic for this thing. That is one thing I liked about the JVM it is a complex amp but I got a schematic for it probably a year after it hit the streets. The roadking has been around for years and I still can't find a schematic.

Well thanks again for the response

Latest posts

Back