Preamp tube choices in JP2C

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering getting some Tungsram 12AX7 (ECC83) tubes to try out in the JP2C. I have some RFT12AX7 I may use in the lead drive circuit. However, if anyone has experimented with alternate preamp tubes, what works best for aggressive tone?

The Power tubes I am currently using are the Mesa STR415. Best move I ever made. However, the STR448 in green or gray bias colors are good too.

RFT in V1 and a Chinese (the old ones that are desirable) brought my Mark IV to life. I use RFTs in my Splawn , great tubes

I would have to revisit the preamp tube challenge with the JP2C now that I have some decent power tubes. I did try the Mesa Chinese (Beijing Square Foil Getter 12AX7 - aka 6N4-J Military grade) tubes in the JP while I had the STR440 tubes in it. It was fizzy sounding. Which is what many described the Chinese tubes to sound in their IIC+ amps. The STR440 tubes will sound fizzy to some extent so probably pairing those with the old Mesa preamp tubes was why it sounded that way. I do have one or two RFT 12AX7/ECC83 tubes to play with. Will have to see how it pans out. Also want to try the JJ frame gride E83CC tubes just for kicks. They were too bright for the Mark V90 but that amp was too bright with the Mesa 12AX7 (JJ ECC83s) tubes to start with. Perhaps it is time to explore again. What will work with the JP2C will work with the Mark VII and Badlander as they share some common designs in the preamp except for how the tone stack is driven.

Back