OFFICIAL MARK V TONE SETTINGS THREAD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't you request a Mark V section in the amp setting database here: http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settings/mesa-boogie/mesa-boogie-amp-settings.html.

It would be nice to have a link from the Boogie Board to the Grailtone home page as well, unless I"m not seeing it. 8)

I've found that if i'm playing alone, 10watt is the way to go. Full power of course. Makes it easier for me to warm up for some reason, and it clips beautifully.

After getting warmed up if i'm looking for that thicker beefier *boom* in every note and chord i'll go 90watts.

Settings depend alot on the guitar i'm using and I like to switch up the eq voice frequently to experiment, but typically i'll start with:
1. EQ off and minimal treble/bass.
2. Dial the mids for thickness, paying attention to not stifle any notes in big chords that ring out.
3. Fine tune Bass / Treble looking for a balance warm not flubby, while alive but not fizzy.
4. Tweak the presence to cut and not sound boxy.
5. Repeat process to ensure current settings work well in relation to each other.
6. Add EQ.
7. Smile.
Lately in my lead channel (mark IIc+) i've been keeping most of the dials between 11 and 1, with the master about 9:30.

Mark V Justice Tone

Gain at 3 o'clock
Master at 1 o'clock
Presence at 10 o'clock
Treble at 2.5 o'clock
Mid at 9 o'clock
Bass at 9.5 o'clock
EQ ON
Aggressive V shape on EQ (adjust to taste)
90 Watt Simul-Class
Triode

You can also throw an EQ in the loop to accentuate the EQ a bit more.

Here's what this should sound like:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=39033

MesaGod666 said:
Mark V Justice Tone

Gain at 3 o'clock
Master at 1 o'clock
Presence at 10 o'clock
Treble at 2.5 o'clock
Mid at 9 o'clock
Bass at 9.5 o'clock
EQ ON
Aggressive V shape on EQ (adjust to taste)
90 Watt Simul-Class
Triode

You can also throw an EQ in the loop to accentuate the EQ a bit more.

Here's what this should sound like:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=39033

Cool settings, tone's killer!

Can you post a pic of your EQ settings or post the exact settings? What's your Output knob set to?

a kick *** MArshall-ish rock rythym tone on Crunch/VARIAC
tfarm6.jpg

tfarm7.jpg

tfarm8.jpg

RUNNING EL 34'S...sandwiched between two C+'s today(one ran cleans,other ran lead tone)..used the V as a rythym channel / Boogie amp switcher and it really had a punchy classic Marshall-esqe vibe happenin'...VARIAC setting was key-it was pic worthy

Ok this seems to be dreamy with my 2008 standard strat. Although, I'm not a huge fan of the stock pups, I think this set up is pretty decent tone. This is in channel 2 mark 1 mode. I use the eq and set the 80hz slider in the middle between the middle and bottom line the rest is like this on 90Watts:
gain: 1130
master: 11
presence: 11
treble: 130
mid: 11
bass: all the way off
set to normal (not thick)

I set my strat to position 4 (middle and neck pup) and use the volume to regulate the gain...I'm lovin it :eek:
I'd like to know how this setting works with other strats.

SWEET CREAMY LEAD TONE

IIC+ Mode Chan 3
EQ OFF
GAIN 2 o'clock
TREBLE 2 o'clock
MID 11 o'clock
BASS 10 o'clock
PRESENCE 11 o'clock
OUTPUT AND MASTER ADJUST TO TASTE
V30 4x12 Recto Cab NO CASTERS w/interior reinforcements to tighten the bass response.

Hi MesaGod! could you give me some explanation about the added reinforcement in your cab? did you take any pics at the time when you did it? what did you do exactly it sounds interesting. Takecare!

Ive done something liek this i put bed foam that you buy for goign ontop of beds to make it softer, just cut that to the size of the interier of yoru cab and upgrade the wire gauge to say 10 gauge and put better connectors on ur speakers and you will be blown away with the diffrence in the cab.

i havent realluy thought of that before cause i have been rather happy with my mesa cabs but its very interesting info thanks for the tip!!!!!

rispsira said:
Hi MesaGod! could you give me some explanation about the added reinforcement in your cab? did you take any pics at the time when you did it? what did you do exactly it sounds interesting. Takecare!

I took apart the entire cab, remounted the speakers, and filled in the empty spaces with insulation foam.

I was wondreing if removing the casters will be that important ultimately when gigging since you mic the cab and how much the bass response would differ after what you said this all is interesting though and i will keep it in mind but do not want to pollute this thread any longer since its dedicated for settings,... thanks a lot though!!!!

I assume from a lot of these settings that you guys run with the FX loop ON, so you can use the master output knob?

Just curious....

atroposproject said:
I assume from a lot of these settings that you guys run with the FX loop ON, so you can use the master output knob?

Just curious....

Definitely. Especially for delay lovers like me.

I have my Mark V and i love it.

I use a TC electronics nova system in the loop and when the loop is plugged in I lose a ton of volume. Is this normal or is it an input level issue on my pedal? Any help would be great!

B

is your effects loop level set to mid or all the way i have mine all the way and i loose hardly any vol. now it does say in the manual i belive that you should expect a drop in vol but not a lot.

I've been playing around with Channel 2 quite a bit, specifically the Crunch mode. This channel/mode makes a better Marshall than many Marshall amps (read: JCM900, DSL, TSL, Mode 4, etc.). I find it possible to dial in an early Van Halen (I / II) 'brown sound', a Mick Jones sound, and Angus & Malcom Young tones that are very close in tone and character.

I am using the following settings for this channel/mode right now (stock Mesa 6L6's and preamp tubes):

Variac, 45 watt, Tube rectifier, Effects Loop on, EQ on Preset set to 9:00 (or EQ off - either sounds great), Gain at 10:30, Master at full, Presence at 2:00, Treble at 1:30, Middle at 11:30, Bass at 10:30

From here I set the output and solo boost to desired volume and make minor tweaks in the tone stack depending on the emphasized frequencies at volume selected. Lastly I use the input gain to set the amount of clipping desired with the guitar volume at full and then use the guitar volume to go from clean to mean. This is a more enjoyable 'Marshall' to play through than any of the 70's JMP-50's I've owned in the past (my favorite Marshall amps) or the early THD Plexi I used to own (this amp sounded a lot like early Van Halen on its own).

(I'd rather have posted a picture but I don't have a camera handy at this time. I'll take a pic in the next couple of days and post it here.)

Back