new mesa rack... wiring setup? help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFontaine

Reaction score
I switched from a simple solid state head to a rack system recently. So I am new at the many possibilities. So far I have a Mesa Studio Pre (not the recto but the earlier 90's version), Mesa recto 2:100 Power amp, TC Electronics G System, and a Marshall 1960B with EV12L's in it. I would like the Mesa pre to provide the distortion and the G system to provide the cleans/effects that are already on the G system. so obviously some amp switching (which the G system can do, i just don't know how yet because i haven't had time to play with it). G system into channel A of the power amp and Mesa pre into channel B? One cab is fine or would another one sound better? Thanks in advance for the help!

-Nick

Dont compromise by deviding the channels. the G system can handle all your preamps and heads, all in stereo. its very symple but youll have to read the manual. Its in the Global and MOD sections.

You won't want to run the g-system directly into the power amp channel A and the Studio pre into the other Channel.

That means the studio pre would be completely dry in your channel B and the Channel A would just have the g system which is not a preamp and wouldn't give you a very good tone. It would be like plugging an effects pedal directly into a power amp. It's not going to give you the "cleans" as you say. It's just going to be a flat tone because you have no preamp shaping your clean sound.

The studio pre has it's own clean channel and the g system will be able to change the channels on your studio pre from clean to distorted.

The ideal way of setting it up is going into the Studio Pre, and then into the g system. The g system has stereo outs so your one side would go to channel A and the other to channel B so you get all the stereo fx.

Again just to reiterate. The g system is not a preamp. It's just an fx processor/switching system. You aren't going to get a very good clean tone by plugging an fx processor directly into a tube power amp. You have the studio pre which is known for having very nice cleans and distortion so why not use both.

Latest posts

Back