New Dual Rectifier User Troubleshooting

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caves89

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I wanted to write this post to share my first week experience with my new (used) 3 Channel Dual Rectifier. I encountered some issues that I solved and some other stuff that I was just new to them (Fx Loop), so maybe this will help you out If you are also new to the amp or maybe you find yourself experiencing some if this issues and want to solve them.

Well I traded my Mark V head for this 2005 3Ch Dual Recto', the Recto has always been my dream amp, I got the Mark just because I had a killer deal on it, great amp but I just couldn't handle all the features, plus it just wasn't my thing as far as the tones you can get. I've always wanted the Recto not only because of its hi gain personality (which is great btw), but for the classic and hard rock sounds it can produce (It really nails that Soundgarden/Alice in Chains rhythm guitar tone!) I've had this thing for a week and just today I could experience the amp in all its glory.

1st Issue.- Low overall output: Check if you have the Fx loop engaged for all channels, if you do, put your mix level at 100% and your send level at 12 O'clock, or play with the send level between 12 and 2 O' Clock. When I noticed I had low Output I really thought it was a bad power tube, but fiddling around with the back panel of the amp (Fx loop knobs) solved the issue.

2nd Issue.- Very Low Clean Channel Volume and Fizzy overall tone: I was about to return the amp when I experienced this, I've noticed it at my rehearsal space with the band, the amp sounded like crap when cranked, It turn out to be a dead Rectifier tube, one of the 2 rectifiers was totally dead, not even heating up, it didn't matter if I had diode mode selected, the amp sounded like crap equally, I replaced the rectifier tube and problem solved!

3rd Issue.- Bad Clean tone.- I managed to get an amazing and really sparkly clean tone by scooping the mids!, also, leave the bass and treble at 12 O'Clock and presence at 100%!. Gain at 12 O'Clock and Master to match volume with other channels. At first I thought that the Recto clean was pretty useless and not clean at all..., but doing some research I found out that the Mid and Trebble Knobs on the clean channel also adds Gain to the signal!, beware of this because if you want a really Fendery clean just scoop those Mids on the Clean Channel!.

Well that was about it, I hope this could help others In their experiences with their new or old Rectos. Keep on rocking!

Thanks for sharing the tip on the rectifier tube.

Be sure to download the manual for your amp. There is a lot of great info about your new amp. The treble and mid adding gain to the clean channel is on pg 4 & 7, and there is quite the extensive info on speaker load matching and power tube basics.

My first Recto was a 2001 3-ch Triple. Loved that amp. Sold it to dabble in modeling (bad decision) as I thought the 150W was too much for the places we were playing. Never did bond with digital amp modeling at that time, bought my Roadster about a year later.

https://mesa-boogie.imgix.net/media/User%20Manuals/3chRecto.pdf

No problem on the Rectifier tube tip!. *Actually I use those settings on my clean channel because I pull them out of the user's manual in order to get the cleanest clean available on the Dual Recto. One thing I noticed is that on the Output knob, there is a very gradual volume increase from 0% to 50%, but as soon as you get past 12:00 the amp really jumps out on the Volume becoming near "ear-bleeding" loud!. I'm using all my Master's at around 12:00 btw.

*Cool thing to point out is that the previous owner of my Recto Head kept all the original documents of the amp, including hang tags, manual, a MESA Boogie "order by phone" catalog from 2006 and even the original 2005 receipt!, thats some fine toilet time literature!. Cheers!

Back