New Dream Theater Album

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smd24fan

Reaction score
Hey all,
I know this isn't much a Mark V topic, but I received my copy of "Black Clouds and Silver Linings" a day early and it is just an awesome album! Was really stoked to see it in the mailbox, threw it in the stereo and cranked it up! Haven't heard all of it yet, but at least three quarters of it. The opening tune, A Nightmare to Remember, kicks *** unlike any song I've heard in awhile. Anyways, just wanted to give you all a quick head's up. And for the record, Petrucci just gets better as the years pass. He, like the other members, is sensational on this album. Check it out!

smd24fan said:
Hey all,
I know this isn't much a Mark V topic, but I received my copy of "Black Clouds and Silver Linings" a day early and it is just an awesome album! Was really stoked to see it in the mailbox, threw it in the stereo and cranked it up! Haven't heard all of it yet, but at least three quarters of it. The opening tune, A Nightmare to Remember, kicks *** unlike any song I've heard in awhile. Anyways, just wanted to give you all a quick head's up. And for the record, Petrucci just gets better as the years pass. He, like the other members, is sensational on this album. Check it out!
lol ive had mine for like 2 months now and its not the illegal downloaded version either...but yeah fantastic album

DudewithFr0 said:
smd24fan said:
Hey all,
lol ive had mine for like 2 months now and its not the illegal downloaded version either...but yeah fantastic album

yeah, only because you knew me...

I waited till 9:00 pm (PST) and then checked the itunes store thinking that the album might just be there to purchase since it was midnight and June 23rd on the east coast, and guess what? It was :D I purchased the album and just gave it a first whirl. It is a good album, but it's a grower, I feel, like most DT albums are except the first few like IAW, Awake, ACOS, and SFAM which hit the spot right away. "The Count of Tuscany" alone is worth the price of the album IMHO. Great song. As to the others, "Wither" and "Best of Times" are easy to listen to off the bat as is "Rite of Passage." "Nightmare to remember" and "Shattered fortress" are the growers here. If you're a hardcore metal head you'll like these songs instantly. If not, you'll be left searching for the classic DT moments in these songs, and there are a few.

My honest first opinion on the guitaring is that Petrucci has definitely got better technically and plays like a monster but sadly it seems like it's at the expense of feel on many songs. But then I may have a different opinion once I *really* get into the album :) Jordan Rudess has his moments but he seems too preoccupied these days making noise than actually playing. When he does actually play solos minus noise it's the same old solo that he's always played since SFAM. MP is great as always but has too many vocal parts. Labrie and Myung are solid as always. That said, it's a good effort and in time it will probably rate better than TOT, Octavarium, and Systematic Chaos. It can't hold a candle IMHO to the albums of the 90s (FII and SDOIT included). Just my 2 cents after my first listen:)

PS: I downloaded the album from Itunes coz my 3 CD set will not be here till the 25th. UPS tracking says "Rescheduled delivery..." Oh well...
PS2: The album opener sounds like a Dual Rec family amp and not Mark series. What do you guys think?

I sounds a lot like a Mark for me. In fact, I have the impression that I am hearing many tones of my V on the album! :D

JohnDNJ said:
you are hearing the 2c+ and mark IV on the album....

This is my point. Please remind me the 2 first voicing's name on MKV's third channel ?

Thanks for the info guys. I definitely can hear the Marks in the solos but was not sure about the really heavy chuggy riffs. I'm no tone conessieur, but there seemed to be some recto moments in there and thought I would ask. I was thinking that he might have slaved his Marks into his 2:100 power amp and then into his cabs/console for the riffs.

I gave the album a few more listens and I'm definitely in the honeymoon period now :D Now to see how long that lasts!

nicoroy123 said:
JohnDNJ said:

This is my point. Please remind me the 2 first voicing's name on MKV's third channel ?

The same as the voicings on the triaxis...2c+, III, IV....You really think those are the same too?
I had one for 10 years and over time I realized they are close, but not quite. Once the honeymoon
with the V is over many of you will come to grips with this fact as well. If close enough is good enough
for you then you'll be a happy guy.

JohnDNJ said:
nicoroy123 said:
JohnDNJ said:

The same as the voicings on the triaxis...2c+, III, IV....You really think those are the same too?
I had one for 10 years and over time I realized they are close, but not quite. Once the honeymoon
with the V is over many of you will come to grips with this fact as well. If close enough is good enough

Ummm... The Mark V's third channel consists of IIC+, IV, and Extreme - there''s not a Mark III mode...

Was making the point that they can call it whatever they want....

And I know full well what modes are on the V, thanks.

JohnDNJ said:
nicoroy123 said:
JohnDNJ said:

They may be not 100% accurate but they are certainly the closest thing on the planet beside the real thing. Close enough to give me the impression that I can nail any guitar tone recorded with an original IIC+ or IV.
And since I never played on any of the original two, I don't really care how close they are, they are fantastic and I don't think my honeymoon will stop soon.

danyeo1 said:
Hope it's a lot better than their last album which i thought was a big letdown.

It is a good album (I like it much more than Systematic Chaos). The Count of Tuscany is the best tune on the album. Sometimes I wish Petrucci would slow down but I still love his playing. I would love to see him abandon some of his technical wizardry for taste and musicality. IMO, the solo on Rite of Passage is one of my all time favorites. Shattered Fortress sounds like it was cut and pasted from the previous incarnations of the ongoing Portnoy storyline. The cover tunes disc is awesome:

Stargazer - Rainbow
Tenement Funster / Flick of the Wrist / Lily of the Valley - Queen
Odyssey - Dixie Dregs
Take Your Fingers From My Hair - Zebra
Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part II - King Crimson
To Tame a Land - Iron Maiden

I almost like it better than the originals. They play them extremely well (almost better). You might really like the Iron Maiden tune (I remember your old Wrathchild clip that I have saved to my forum clips).

Check it out!

yeah, I thought systematic chaos was great, not the best in total but all DT albums have their share of awesome moments. I agree with the Rudess comment about just making noise for his solos though, it kinda sounds the same after while. He's still awesome but JP keeps getting better (and bigger!) with each album. The new album is top shelf though, A Nightmare to Remember took a few goes to appreciate, but it's definitely awesome music.

Overall I like the new album, but I was really hoping that Systematic was going to be their last step into the more metal realm, unfortunately it wasn't. I was relatively disappointed, The Count of Tuscany is probably my favorite on the album because it's phenomenal, and The Shattered Fortress (But I can almost not attribute that to this album because it's pretty much a combination of the old DT stuff I loved).

While this is definitely worth the buy for head banging and pretty awesome riffage, musically it didn't do it for me like Lines in The Sand, or Octavarium, or the entire Awake album did for me.

I guess that I'm just one of the guys that was mentioned earlier that loves his old DT and could find moments hear and there that I liked.

Maybe their next album they'll go back to their old stuff.... :roll:

Latest posts

Back