2 songs from Dream Theater's new album leaked!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTE

Reaction score
A Rite of Passage and A Nightmare to Remember got leaked, i dont even know if this is legal on this site, w/e.

Overall, im growing on the 2 tracks.

the mixing on the whole album isnt bad, a little better than SC imo. Mikes kit sounds great, Myung is actually audible!, Jordan is fine as usual, same with Labrie, and Petrucci's tones sound a little different, must be the Mark V!!! This has his HEAVIEST rhythm tones in any DT album i think, even heavier than TOT. His lead is incredible as usual, but it sounds a bit grainier. It still isnt Scenes from a Memory mixing though! :p

A Rite of Passage starts with a cool eastern sounding feel that stays throughout the song, i like the pre chorus and chorus, and although im not a huge fan of DT newer more-metal songs (SC), this definitely is mixed more with the progressive elements, and it never is "too-shreddy" Petrucci's solo is awesome though, especially one part, you know it if youve heard it. Labrie and Portnoy sing in harmony alot, and it actually works!, though Mike still for some reason has to do his retorts and "YEAH" 's in the background, haha. Many have criticized Jordan's solo in this, he starts like a usual Jordan solo, but then starts sounding like the dj part in The Glass Prison, but it goes downhill, at one point, its just electronic noises and static :( 8/10

A Nightmare to Remember is one of DT's semi-epics, like the Ministry of Lost Souls, ANTR clocks in at 14 mins, and i really only didn't like one part. It sounds very dark and ominous, and the riffs are heavier than Dt's usual. And right now i just the motivation to type this, lol, but its basically about a car crash, the chorus is very "heavenly" and i like the music and lyrics equally, the instrumental breaks are great, and like AROP, it never really gets so crazy that it gives you a headache (end of fatal tragedy im talking about you!) It transitions well into clean, slow parts, and theres one riff that is so heavy that it actually made me shiver, a first in any DT song.
9/10

Now i cant wait for this album!!

wow, i figured that on a mesa/boogie board there were be a few DT fans...

There are lots of fans... i think some of them dont want to ruin the surprise... seems cool though where'd you get em? p/m?

i downloaded there songs from 6doit (or SFAM) and they were actually old demos they put up to through people off the trail (this was many years ago) they were cool songs though.

oh im a big fan :)

Well... It took me a while to find "A Rite of Passage" and give it a listen. Honestly, I don't care much for the song. Sure the chorus is catchy, but the riffs and song structure are mediocre. In my opinion the only highlights to the song itself was Johns and Jordan's solos. It's awesome that you can hear Myung now!!! I prefer the production of this new material over Systematic Chaos. I also like Johns tone ALOT more this round than on Systematic Chaos. Although I don't find it heavier than TOT or Awake, it's a step in the right direction tone wise. I'm looking forward to picking up this CD and giving it a proper cranking through the stereo. I'm sure there are stronger songs on this album.

These songs weren't actually 'leaked'. They were on two different internet radio channels and someone ripped them and shared them. I've heard them and they are pretty cool! Can't wait to hear the rest of the album. John's solos have taken a huge step forward. He's approaching them a little different it seems. It sounds like he was really inspired by this new album and his solos are more creative than ever IMO.

regarding his tone, there was the one picture of his studio gear, and it was pretty much IIc+... so back to the old standard :)

dmcguitar said:
regarding his tone, there was the one picture of his studio gear, and it was pretty much IIc+... so back to the old standard :)
Really? do you have a link? id like to see it

studio2009.jpg

Thanks! Ugh, couldnt he just loan me ONE of those? haha

do i spy a jemini?

I'm not listening to ANYTHING from the album until it comes out. Not even officially released singles, or whatever.

Last time, when SC came out, the day I got the album (5.1 mix, woot!) and popped it in, I already knew Constant Motion, The Dark Eternal Night, Forsaken and Prophets of War. So when I listened to it, all I wanted to really hear was the other, what, 3-4 songs I didn't actually know. It killed some of the excitement for me.

Needless to say, I am ridiculously stoked for June 23rd!

dmcguitar said:

Actually he used the Mark V as well on this album... not all over the place but i've heard he used the mark i mode on channel 2 for some leads and channel 3 for some rhythms (not sure of the mode).

From what I've heard....the 2 leaked songs, Jp's guitar tone sounds alot better. It seems much more present in the mids department. I really enjoy the unscooped V sound which perhaps happened here. I really like the solo tone for A Night To Remember. Has a cool bluesy tone while retaining alot of gain. Sounds sweet.

captain_jim said:
From what I've heard....the 2 leaked songs, Jp's guitar tone sounds alot better. It seems much more present in the mids department. I really enjoy the unscooped V sound which perhaps happened here. I really like the solo tone for A Night To Remember. Has a cool bluesy tone while retaining alot of gain. Sounds sweet.

I agree - his solos and tone in these first two songs has more mids and his style seems to be evolving nicely. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album!

Latest posts

Back