need help tuning my Ibz RG1570 6 string

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to many problems with my 1570 similar to you. That's why I recommend the setup and the tremsetter. Mine has yet to go uot of tune since, aside from changing strings and fine tuning.

Yes, but you run into the same problem if you don't bring the trem springs up to 'tune' WITH the strings. I found it necessary to tune trems from the top down and back track every other string.

Tune low E then the A. But before going to D tune low E and the A again.
Then do the D and re tune the E, A.
Tune the G then re tune the E, A and D, checking the G again before moving to the B.
Tune the B, then re tune E, A, D and G.
At this point recheck the B then move on to the high E, rechecking all the strings again.

This way the springs are adjusted as the strings pull against them.
If you don't use your trem alot or at all, just tighten the spring screws a little. More spring tension will make it easier to tune.

I just tried this method and it worked (althought the trem was angled more downward and then I tighted both screws for the springs in the back a couple times). It's tuned pretty accurately in straight E now.

I'm considering selling the guitar. But the new Ibz Prestige line is very expensive if you buy new (approx. $1500!)

How much do you think mine would sell for nowadays? It has a Air Norton in neck (it's green) and Super Dist in bridge.

I also get some noise when I set the split pup selector (single or dual) mode (2, 3 and 4 positions). Is that normal with these guitars or was that from my pup swap job?

I just took some photos of the trem and back but photobucket is not uploading properly...

Here's some old pics with the original pups installed:

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r234/rabiesjoy/ibanez RG1570/

the last mentioned practice of tuning a floyd is the right way. its most likely why you always had trouble tuning, you were approaching it as if it were a fixed bridge. as for the whole floating/tremsetter issue, well a tremsetter pretty much does the same thing as blocking the bridge in the rear.

id definately say to hold on to the guitar and just get more used to managing the floyd, after a while it becomes second nature and the benefit of not having to retune often starts to outweigh the trouble of restringing.

and yes, the air norton is a great pickup, my favorite for the neck position. if you still feel the need to try other bridge pickups i highly recommend the tone zone or steve's special for you. i have an ibanez with a SS in the bridge and another with a TZ in the bridge, both sound great, the TZ has a bit more lows and the steve's special is a bit more evenly balanced.

Back