need help tuning my Ibz RG1570 6 string

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabies

Reaction score
floating tremolo/bridge. It's in straight D right now. Need to get it to straight E (standard tuning). When I try, the trem/bridge is pulled in towards the headstock direction (it's angled whereas it should be flat). So I've had this problem before and this is a problem every time I tune/string this guitar.

I know there are the two screws in the bottom that attach the springs to the body. What should I do to string this and what exactly are the rules for tuning string order (e.g. low E, then high E, etc.)

Every time you sharp a string another one goes flat, etc. I love my LP b/c I can string it so quick!

To compensate for the extra string tension that tuning up from D standard to E standard, you'll need to tighten the screws into the body that are holding the tension strings in the back of the guitar underneath the back cover plate Once you tighten the screw in some, try tuning it up to E standard again. If it still pulls sharp, loosen the strings some again, and tighten the back springs a little more. Then re-tune. If it gets to a point where when you tune up, the bridge stays in a slight up-pull position, then you'll need to lessen the spring tension, and re-tune. You'll probably have to tighten/loosen it a couple of times before it's level when in tune. As for tuning the strings and them pulling sharp, you have to bring them all up to tune in unison, instead of tuning each individual string. Sense the tremolo is full floating, every time you adjust the string tension, whether it be an alternate tuning or changing string gauges, you'll have to do this. One option is to install what's called a "Tremol-no", and then when changing strings you can "block" the trem so that it won't move while you bring the guitar up to tune. It's a hassle sometimes to have to level out a floyd style bridge, but once you get them set, they are rock solid tuning wise.

-AJH

of if you want it to no longer float you can just block the trem. basically jam wood or taped up coins between the part of the bridge the springs tie on to and the body wood so its in a fixed position.

Or do what I did.... Sell your 7 string guitar w/ tremolo because floating trems are nightmares.... and buy an Ibanez Apex 2!

RJ2213 said:
of if you want it to no longer float you can just block the trem. basically jam wood or taped up coins between the part of the bridge the springs tie on to and the body wood so its in a fixed position.

I like the 2 new pups I installed. So I may try this idea. Is there a pic on internet that shows this?

here's a couple of links on this

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/blocktremolo.htm

http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/techtips/d--12/12/2005

It's not too bad of a process. Just measure some wood pieces and put them in the gaps in the back.

Now is this a double locking Floyd Rose style trem, or just a regular trem?

With regular trem's on like a strat or something similar I just tighten the screws in the back so much that the trem rests flat against the body. IMO strat style bridges should be like this and shouldn't be floating. You'll still be able to dives but you won't have to worry about balancing the tension of the strings and the springs.

If it's a Floyd Rose style then you can put wedges of wood in between the body and the block in the back to hold it in place since most of the time they are made to float and there is a recessed cavity so the trem can be pulled up on. That's the cheapest and easiest way of doing it.

rabies said:
... Every time you sharp a string another one goes flat, etc. I love my LP b/c I can string it so quick!

Try tuning from low E first and go back to check and retune it after doing the D. Follow the same pattern by retuning the A after doing the G, etc. This brings all the strings pretty close in tune without too much trouble. I use the screws on the springs to adjust bridge height and angle for the trem action. Hope it helps.

MikeK said:
rabies said:
... Every time you sharp a string another one goes flat, etc. I love my LP b/c I can string it so quick!

Try tuning from low E first and go back to check and retune it after doing the D. Follow the same pattern by retuning the A after doing the G, etc. This brings all the strings pretty close in tune without too much trouble. I use the screws on the springs to adjust bridge height and angle for the trem action. Hope it helps.

I was doing low E, then high E, then A, then B, then D, then G, ad nauseum. **** thing goes sharp, sharp, sharp. total disaster and I get so angry every time.

it's a floyd rose style tremolo and I don't even use it a lot. but I like the pups I installed and the wizard neck and the weight of the guitar.

most likely I'll try the locking strategy noted above with the wood pieces or I'll buy a different Ibanez one day and replace the stock pups (which suck). I have an Air Norton and Super Distortion.

hmmm....

Bring the sucker in for a good setup and have a tremsetter installed while you're at it. I had the same issue with mine and haven't looked back since I had the tremsetter installed.

Jak0lantern01 said:
Bring the sucker in for a good setup and have a tremsetter installed while you're at it. I had the same issue with mine and haven't looked back since I had the tremsetter installed.

how much did that cost?

The Tremsetter is about $50. The setup and install shouldn't run more than $100-$150, depending on who does the work. It was worth it, though.

Jak0lantern01 said:
The Tremsetter is about $50. The setup and install shouldn't run more than $100-$150, depending on who does the work. It was worth it, though.

it's worth it if you really like the guitar and pups like i do. is it bad to leave it in straight D (all strings one step down) with 0.010's? It's in tune now but the strings are kinda loose.

I'd use a heavier gauge string. What strings are you using? Maybe a set of .11's or heavier would be more appropriate for that style of tuning. By default, all of my guitars are tunes down a 1/2 step, I use Ernie Ball Heavy Bottom Skinny Tops for that setup, but I don't think it would be enough for a full step. If everything is setup properly and you're using the right gauge strings, playing tuned down should not cause you any trouble.

Jak0lantern01 said:
I If everything is setup properly and you're using the right gauge strings, playing tuned down should not cause you any trouble.

that's what i mean. i didn't get a setup and the neck may warp, etc. whatever, i'm not a pro (anymore) :)

the floyd on my jackson stays in better tune that anything I've ever used. I've taken it out of the case after several months and only needed a small tweak on the high E.

just get it setup right and, if it's a good FR, you'll be happy... as long as you don't want to drop tune on the fly or anything...

kiff said:
as long as you don't want to drop tune on the fly or anything...

I do like to do that but I use my LP for that. Once we move and everything settles down, I may end up getting a different Ibanez with a fixed bridge as long as it has the wizard (thin) neck.

rabies said:
kiff said:

I do like to do that but I use my LP for that. Once we move and everything settles down, I may end up getting a different Ibanez with a fixed bridge as long as it has the wizard (thin) neck.

If you like the ibanez guitars and don't want a trem check out the RGA prestige models, a lot of drop tuned bands seem to like them. They're nice if you don't want to mess with a floyd-style bridge all the time. (We play in Drop B, and I and the other guitarist still use floyds :lol: )

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
rabies said:
kiff said:

If you like the ibanez guitars and don't want a trem check out the RGA prestige models, a lot of drop tuned bands seem to like them. They're nice if you don't want to mess with a floyd-style bridge all the time. (We play in Drop B, and I and the other guitarist still use floyds :lol: )

-AJH

I've seen the RGA prestige and the problem is I'd have to do a pup swap again. The IBZ stock pups suck. very muddy sounding with distortion/gain.

rabies said:
MikeK said:
rabies said:

" ... I was doing low E, then high E, then A, then B, then D, then G, ad nauseum. **** thing goes sharp, sharp, sharp. total disaster and I get so angry every time ... "

hmmm....

Yes, but you run into the same problem if you don't bring the trem springs up to 'tune' WITH the strings. I found it necessary to tune trems from the top down and back track every other string.

Tune low E then the A. But before going to D tune low E and the A again.
Then do the D and re tune the E, A.
Tune the G then re tune the E, A and D, checking the G again before moving to the B.
Tune the B, then re tune E, A, D and G.
At this point recheck the B then move on to the high E, rechecking all the strings again.

This way the springs are adjusted as the strings pull against them.
If you don't use your trem alot or at all, just tighten the spring screws a little. More spring tension will make it easier to tune.

Back