MK V Clean

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting blurb from mesa's site on evolution of the clean tone...

http://mesaboogie.com/news/2010/06/...-and-the-evolution-of-the-recto-reign-part-2/

That’s one of the places I wanted to go with this as well. Features like the Series Loop and the improved Clean modes are things that Randy had already improved on in previous models like the Roadster and Road King and they were ultimately refined even more in the Mark V design process. The lineage for these clean sounds goes back to the Lonestar, and now elements of this are incorporated into the new Recto. It also led to some refinements to the Pushed mode that makes it even more versatile.

Mesa Boogie response during an interview, taken directly out of iceman's link.

"And this brings up what I consider to be one of the most important points of all. None of these improvements would happen if it wasn’t for the constant evolution going on all the time at Mesa. The new Rectifier benefited from the Mark V and the Electra Dyne before it and even further down the line. Everything we learn goes into the next product we’re working on. I think this is what separates Mesa from other companies. We have these widely different amplifiers, circuits and sounds we’re known for, but throughout, there’s the common thread of features, reliability and versatility that encompasses the evolution of Mesa."

This doesn't surprise me a bit, and I definitely agree that MB does a great job of capturing great innovations into their next endevours!

The MkV and other current amps wouldn't have come into fruition without this innovative approach IMO! Check out the entire link if interested. Good reading.

This is a "better capture of the interview" regarding the original post. Sorry about that.

Steve: And people should find a much better balance and taper of the Presence controls between Vintage and Modern modes on the new Rectifiers. Also, while the signature characteristics of this amp are generally centered around Vintage and Modern gain channels and sounds, what’s been done on Channel 1 has taken us to places that we’ve never gone before on Dual and Triple Rectifiers.

John: That’s one of the places I wanted to go with this as well. Features like the Series Loop and the improved Clean modes are things that Randy had already improved on in previous models like the Roadster and Road King and they were ultimately refined even more in the Mark V design process. The lineage for these clean sounds goes back to the Lonestar, and now elements of this are incorporated into the new Recto. It also led to some refinements to the Pushed mode that makes it even more versatile.

Doug: Its also worth pointing out that in the new clean channel of the Rectos – just like the circuits in the Roadster and Road King ­– signal is routed through an input preamp stage that is optimized for clean sounds. But when you are in channels 2 and 3, the input stage is switched and configured to stay true to the original input stages used throughout the high gain modes of the Rectifiers.

And this brings up what I consider to be one of the most important points of all. None of these improvements would happen if it wasn’t for the constant evolution going on all the time at Mesa. The new Rectifier benefited from the Mark V and the Electra Dyne before it and even further down the line. Everything we learn goes into the next product we’re working on. I think this is what separates Mesa from other companies. We have these widely different amplifiers, circuits and sounds we’re known for, but throughout, there’s the common thread of features, reliability and versatility that encompasses the evolution of Mesa.

BigMac5 said:
Hendog said:
The Roadking and Roadster have the Lonestar cleans. Period.
I own both a Roadster and a Lone Star, and the Roadster cleans are no were near the Lonestar cleans.

So do I and you are flat wrong. The Roadster and the Roadking have the EXACT CLEAN CIRCUIT out of the Lonestar.

To give you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps you are referring to the amazing "in between" sounds of the Loanstar. That beautiful edge of breakup. The Roadster and Roadking do not have all of the Loanstar modes.

Hendog said:
BigMac5 said:
Hendog said:
The Roadking and Roadster have the Lonestar cleans. Period.
I own both a Roadster and a Lone Star, and the Roadster cleans are no were near the Lonestar cleans.

So do I and you are flat wrong. The Roadster and the Roadking have the EXACT CLEAN CIRCUIT out of the Lonestar.

To give you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps you are referring to the amazing "in between" sounds of the Loanstar. That beautiful edge of breakup. The Roadster and Roadking do not have all of the Loanstar modes.
They don't sound the same to my ears. What are your settings on the roadster for cleans?

Tien Lawrence (spelling ) said that clean was Mark IV, FAT was taken from the Lonestar, and Tweed was something that's been in other amps but is most expressive in the Mark V.

I think that people are forgetting that Mesa has a history of taking liberty with facts when they type up their advertising... you guys really need to learn to read between the lines.

screamingdaisy said:
I think that people are forgetting that Mesa has a history of taking liberty with facts when they type up their advertising... you guys really need to learn to read between the lines.

Mesa's manuals also read like advertisements. "Channel 1 of the QuadroRectiStar conjures up rockstar dreams of yesteryear. Flip the switch to Leeds mode, swing your arm in a windmill, and prepare to be transformed into a rhythm guitar god. This is the tone you've always search for, and you've got 9 other tones to boot! We recommend you keep the presence and bass low on this settings. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing here."

Latest posts

Back