Mesa's Use of C90's and V30's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frets70

Reaction score
I could be wrong but after some investigating at Mesa's site I think I get their concept on speaker use.

C90's go in open back cabs (combos, thiele, 3/4 back)
V30's go in closed back (rectifier, stiletto, Road King)

My perception would be that the C90's have more low end and are a little darker in a bright cab

V30's work good together in closed back designs to bring back the highs and mids. also most V30's are in pairs or more.

Again this is all just speculation but could help someone (like me ) in speaker selection for a particular cab

but from what i can compare, the v30s deliver the best tone for heavy metal chugs and downtuned stuff. i personally don't like what i hear on my RoV combo with c90 in it. i would say they work best for cleans, just IMO.

Thiele is supposed to have an EVM 12L not a c90 you already know that,

Was just an observation, and if you look at their web site you will see that that ALMOST all of their closed back cabinets have v30's and the open backs have C90's I think there are 2-3 exceptions

Just check out the Road Knig 2x12 horizontal cab=C90 in the open back and a v30 in the closed back!!

I guess it must just be coincidence?

Boogie Woogie Man said:
frets70 said:
Thiele is supposed to have an EVM 12L not a c90
WHY ?

Actually, thieles used to have EVs from factory but now come with C90s. Most would agree the EV's tone is superior though. The weight is the only drawback IMO.

Given your theory I would love to hear a V30 in a thiele!!

Boogie Woogie Man said:
frets70 said:
Thiele is supposed to have an EVM 12L not a c90
WHY ?

Why is because the thiele was designed by ev for the ev 12L ...the designed was free to all and anybody who wanted to use it without any recourse....a two hundred watt speaker needs to vent...without compromise of low in response....

I have a mk IV combo w/ a C90 and a thiele with an ev. I greatly prefer the tone of the ev, but it most likely has something to do with the cab being closed.

charndt said:
I have a mk IV combo w/ a C90 and a thiele with an ev. I greatly prefer the tone of the ev, but it most likely has something to do with the cab being closed.
the thiele is closed back ...but it has a very large opening in the front ...it was made for the ev

lionel69 said:
the thiele is closed back ...but it has a very large opening in the front ...it was made for the ev

+1

In guitar cabinet design there are three basic types. Closed Back (or sealed), Open (or semi open) Back, or the less known Ported cab.

The Thiele is a ported (or tuned) cabinet, designed to compliment the response of a certian speaker's voice. A port is just a tube or hole in the speaker cabinet, very often seen in Hi-Fi speaker designs. By choosing the port dimensions to match the speaker and cabinet, an extened bass response is possible (for a fixed box size). A well designed ported cabinet will usually outperform a closed box, but more design work is necessary. Choosing port dimensions was a trial-and-error affair until two engineers by the names of Neville Thiele and Richard Small devised an analysis method that may easily be used to design vented cabinets well. These days most speaker manufacturers will provide a set of parameters for their speakers known as Thiele-Small parameters from which cabinets may be designed. All those funny symbols in speaker brochures such as Qes, Xmax, Vas and so forth are Thiele-Small parameters.

If Mesa went from EV's to C90's in the Thiele they may have slightly adjusted the port's dimensions, unless the difference in Thiele-Small parameters was so slight it would not be cost effective.

Dom

Latest posts

Back