Mesa Mark III red Stripe- Metallica tone!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikevist1

Reaction score
Eye of the beholder clip with drums and bass. Trying to capture AJFA tone. Successful ? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOxnq3dXvOo

Pretty good!

My main comment: you've got too much bass guitar. Listen again for the bass guitar in AJFA...where is it? To my ear, there is practically none. It's like they were saying..."we're not too sure of that Jason Newstead (sp?) guy, so we're going to keep him real low in the mix so that, if we decide we don't like him later, we won't have to listen to his playing". I mean, really, it's so so so light on the bass. So, depending upon what you hear when you go back and listen, you might choose to go back and remix your track to cut back on the bass guitar.

Also, your drums don't really sound right either. But, mic'ing and mixing real acoustic drums and getting them to sit a certain way in metal recording is brutally difficult. I'm not saying that AJFA is done better and that yours is worse...I'm just saying that the way the drums sit in the mix is very different between the two. So, if you were looking for a straight-ahead clone of their recording, you've missed the mark.

Personally, I think that straight-ahead clones of cover tunes are stupid...so you should record and mix your track however you'd like. Personally, I'd still turn down the bass guitar a bit, I'd actually turn the mids up on at least one (if not all) of your guitar tracks, and I'd mix the drums however makes you feel the most rocking.

Great job putting all the pieces together!

Chip

Settings: Volume (pulled): 6.5 Treble (pulled):8 Bass:2 Middle:2 Master (pulled): 1.5 Lead drive:9 lead master (pulled): 3.5

Chipaudette I know what you are meaning. Actually I was aiming for guitar tone to sound like AJFA. Drums are played thru midi and Steven slate drums. Bass are too loud but I like it that way more. Don´t understand why they left bass almost out on AJFA? Thank you for your comment and putting time to write me all your thoughts. I appreciate it :D

Overall awesome job!

As for the original AJFA they really should have mixed the bass differently. The original bass tracks sound like some wierd warbled background noise. Lol. Maybe one day they will put out a remixed version. In my opinion it would be good to be able to hear the bass and guitar as seperate instruments in the mix.

I have the same amp and love it! Do you have the manual? Most of the recommended settings have the bass much lower, especially for metal. I think this has to do with the tone becoming more muddy if the bass is too high. Anyway it may come down to personal preference.

I found this link that shows the settings Metallica used on MOP and AJFA. I'm sure they had some other gear involved as well shaping the tone but all you Metallica players might find this interesting.

http://www.chain-metal.nl/mark3/metallica.html

Thanks Rob227. You are right! Lol! No I don´t have the manual but I know what are you talking about. Glad you liked my clip :D Have a nice day!!

Back