Mark IIB or Mark III?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullen

Reaction score
Hello guys!

I want to now the differences in sound between a Mark IIB and a Mark III red stripe? I´m most interested in comparisons between the lead channels, but clean sounds are interesting to.

I might have the opportunity to buy either of these. Both are hardwood combos and have the eq and the Mark III has simul-class (the IIB is 60w).
The Mark III is more expensive.

I like the Metallica and John Petrucci Mark IIC+ sound.
Can the IIB get these sounds or is it too "bluesy" (vintage) sounding?

Thanks!

Can the IIB get these sounds or is it too "bluesy" (vintage) sounding?

I believe the IIB is more of a low gain blues or fusion machine.

If you looking for high gain, the Mark III is going to be the rig to get then have it modded to get closer to C+ land. Of course it may be just fine as it is.

Chris... 8)

The IIB has the greatest clean sounds, and mild overdrive in lead (by Boogie standards)
The red stripe III is the way to go for sure, no doubt. I can almost (98%) nail IIC+ tone with my blue striper, and the red stripe is even better in the lead channel..
That's the one......
ax. :twisted:

Mark III is better for that stuff, the IIB is good for classic rock I guess...It can crunch, but it gets a bit fuzzy if you turn the drive up.

Don't get me wrong though, the IIB is the perfect amp for me.

blue/red/green are the stirpes to get from I heard, If your into metallica. My Green is knocking me in the face, it hurts lol.
From I have been reading, the purple is pretty tamed and has a smooth lead, and the black is just not devloped. I don't know, I just this stuff on the boogie files.

I have a Purple and I would'nt call it tame by a long shot.

Since I dont have the other stripes to compare it with maybe I'm missing something.

The gain on my MKIII's lead channel is similar to my MKIV. Not that it sounds the same but the MKIV can be pretty brutal.

The MKIII can completely stomp on my LSC.

I guess tame is in the ear of the beholder.

I figured the Mark IIB was more vintage sounding. So I guess the Mark III is the better choice even though it´s more expensive.

I am familiar with the Mark IV, how would you guys describe the sound difference between the Mark III and the Mark IV?

The MKIII has more low end and sings sooner as you bump up the gain.

The MKIV is tighter and offers a more flexability when tweaking each channel.

Just to note. The difference between the "stripes" is minimal. I think it might have been AMG1 who left a purple stripe clip here in "rigs and tones" that is absolutely killer!!!
The big difference is with R2, some are hotter than others...
Also, the green stripe is closer in tone to a mark IV than the others...
Given the choice, and the money, I'd buy a IIB combo for my clean tone, and A/B/Y with my mark III and thieles for lead. That would be my ultimate rig!
BTW, there was a guy once, who was in a friends band, who "bi-amped" with a 2 head rig. He used a Mark IIA for the lows, and a Marshall JMP for the upper register.. This was in the mid to late 80's, and his tone was exquisite!As I remember, he had a stereo Marshall cab with EV's and Vin 30's, and a pedalboard that looked like a "Twister" mat!!
ax. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back