LSS Compression

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leroy the Massochist

Reaction score
Over 2 years on and loving this amp save for the compression on Channel 1.

I run the gain at about 10 OClock and Master at about 1 O'Clock and overall volume at about 9 o'clock. Works well for groov'n on chords but when we are belting out Superstition I get too much compression. I am picking pretty hard on this one because the song goes off, how else can you play this song!

Any tips on reducing the compression?

PS For all those that are scared of LSS reliability, I have not had a problem (touch wood).

You need more headroom. Assuming you want a clean sound, turn up the Master and/or Output, turn down the gain and/or guitar volume control.

Leroy the Massochist said:
Over 2 years on and loving this amp save for the compression on Channel 1.
Stock, Ch2 is more compressed to me than Ch1. Is it still too much compression when running on the 30w mode? If you haven't, try to plug the speakers to the other impedance speaker out (I think it labeled 30w or something). I found that it's puchier in this impedance and the sound seems to open up.

My approach is to turn down both the gain and the master below 12 o'clock on channel 1, then use the solo control to boost the signal to acceptable levels. While it requires stomping on both footswitches to change between drive and clean, you get more clean headroom all around.

Thanks. I have tried all these and they all assist.

I have noticed that there is more head room and less compression when the solo boost is engaged. May be I will have to continue with the Fred Astaire moves.

Regards

I think it's because your volume level is being driven by the power amp tubes rather than the preamp tubes, hence more apparent clean headroom.

Thanks. I have tried all these and they all assist.

I have noticed that there is more head room and less compression when the solo boost is engaged. May be I will have to continue with the Fred Astaire moves.

Regards
That's interesting. by engaging the fx loop, you're adding a gain stage so that would make it less headroom. Maybe your idea of headroom is different. Did you notice anything, more or less compression in the 30w vs 15w mode?

It has been noted in the past that you will lose head room on the lonestars with the loop engaged. If you turn bypass you will note more headroom, specifically at higher volumes. There are a couple topic posted about this a few weeks back.

I keep going back and forth of using the solo boost, and using a clean boost. Still haven't made up my mind..

Unfortunately volume does not seem to be the factor. Even at bedroom settings I can hear the compression.
The reason I mentioned above about checking the 30w vs 15w is the 30w uses solid state rect. The 15w/5w uses the 5y3 tube rect and this tube has alot of sag which translated into natural tube compression. If the 30w still sounds too compressed for you then maybe the Lonestar is not the amp for you.

95% fixed.

Disengaged the Loop and connected up my volume pedal substantially reduced the compression. Also made both channels brighter - chanel one that extra little bit of jangly top end and channel 2 a little less mid as well as brighter. I don't understand?

Like I mentioned at the top of the thread. FX loop is another gain stage. so more gain == more compression, more mud, less bright, and more buzzy. With the loop engaged, tone will be affected by that gain knob on the back. Hope it makes sense.

Latest posts

Back